What stereo gear are you planning to purchase in 2021?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 4, 2020.

1. russ e-s

russ e-s Forum Resident

I need new plinths for the 301 and 124 and a 12” arm for my 301. That should be all I buy unless I stumble on a cheap pair of Valencia’s for the basement...

grbluen likes this.
  2. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

I’d guess that many audio systems are put together with a mix of pre-owned and new components. Buying pre-owned is opportunistic - if it’s available you buy it pretty quick before it’s gone. Harbeth speakers for example don’t linger much on the used market. However buying audiophile equipment new is not usually an instant gratification experience - order what you want and wait for it.

Buying an audio rack. Not much different than ordering a piece of furniture. It will take as long as it takes, and that’s OK. And it’s a first step towards a goal which always feels good. This year to reassemble and rebuild my system. It really could take that long.

Gotta choose new speakers this year as I have none. Home demo of speakers in NYC? Fuhgeddaboud it. Choosing speakers feels a little like choosing a Mail-order bride - who knows what can happen and sure hope it works out.

grbluen and Rick58 like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

well regarded but have not heard it.

4. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Hopefully nothing as that would mean something broke, lol!

jonwoody likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

there are some youtube videos though.

6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

The proximity of that slide to that gear makes my stomach turn.

7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

LOL, yeah, something about indoor bouncy castles with slides that close to a TT / system and TV throws up the old paranoid red flag........ maybe it's just me though (and you).

displayname likes this.
  8. A cartridge!

grbluen and Clonesteak like this.
  9. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

It wasn’t ideal and it was a surprise. Thankfully, it’s not a permanent installation ;). Truth be told, my girls are very careful around equipment, and in the eight years I’ve had kids, I’m the only one who has broken a stylus. But yeah, hard to get into deep listening and catch the microdynamics when there’s a bounce house between the sweet spot and the speakers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  10. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

I’m totally happy with my PL100IIs and my Audiolab so I’ll just buy some more CDs.

Davey and grbluen like this.
  11. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I'm all set. Have my laptop and my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's, with a Bluetooth adapter on the way. Don't need anything else sound-wise.

Purchases in 2021 will be strictly photographic equipment.

12. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I’d like to upgrade the amplification for my KEF R3 speakers. I’ve been curious about Yamaha A-S2200, Rogue Cronus Magnum III or maybe Parasound A21+ with a tube preamp, among others.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

1. new headphone amp for my two channel stereo , as i am on a budget most likely going with schiit magni 3+ or the JDS labs atom.
    2. not new , but going to get my OPPO PM-3 headphones repaired. they still sound great but the headband and earpads
    are both destroyed as the material has peeled off. OPPO although out of business still does repairs and as they
    still sound amazing going to go for the repair.
    3. probably a new pair of headphones- HD 6xx , HifiMan sundara , or possibly grado 325e still pondering.

*** anyone have any thoughts on headphones in the under $400 range for a stereo with a schiit or JDS labs type amp
    let me know!***

grbluen likes this.
  14. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

I was close to replacing my speakers in 2020 but the virus and the resulting lockdowns put it on hold. Maybe this year it will work out.

15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Maybe a good topic to start a thread?

16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

My system has been pretty static/stable since my speaker purchase now 3 years ago. Last year the plan was to buy a TT however the TT fund helped keep me solvent through the hellscape of Covid. Looking to just survive the first few months of this year, beyond that I'm sure my preamp will need a retube and that's it.

17. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

I've started early and ordered a Topping D90 DAC, haven't upgraded anything in my system in about 2 decades, I've added a few bits but essentially amp, cd and speakers have been the same for 20 years, frightened silly about how much it costs to replace / upgrade so have started with a DAC to see how it performs against a top notch20 year old CD player, looking at a streamer for Amazon HD but that will have to wait for now, probably end up with a bluesound node like most people

grbluen likes this.
  18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Speakers: Thinking maybe Kef R3 or B&W 705 S2. - Any input would be appreciated!

Stellar Power Plant 3 - Something I have been looking into for awhile. Not 100% sold on the idea, but PS Audio gives a 30 day trial.

grbluen likes this.
  19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Well, today is January 1st and still nothing!

20. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The night is still young! :laugh:

csgreene likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Seriously, I have no plans for any new gear this coming year unless something breaks. I like what I have and I've never been one to upgrade if I'm satisfied in that regard.

luckybaer and JorgeGvb like this.
  22. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I ordered a Marantz PM8006 today.

Mindhead1, guestuser, grbluen and 2 others like this.
  23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Nice! I'm sort of a Marantz fanboy, especially with the 8000 series integrateds which I think might be a the sweetspot in the Marantz line-up. I've had my PM8004 for a good 7-8 years now. I suspect a PM8007 is on the not too distant horizon and might get one (or a discounted 8006) when they're released. I also use a PM6004 and PM5005 on two TV based systems (with NHT SuperZero 2.1 speakers). Great for both TV and music via Pandora and Spotify apps on the TVs.

guestuser likes this.
  24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Zero gear - I hope. Don't need anything.

Maybe some speaker capacitors for one pair of speakers. ???

I'm presently waiting for delivery of some really special, extremely hard to find (16.5 years), Super RARE, 1980 Sansui 'High-Efficiency', black jacketed, turntable cables with ground wire (1.3-meter length) to arrive from Japan that I purchased late last December. :) That's it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  25. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

None. Done. I’ll be enjoy being music.

jonwoody likes this.