Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I somehow doubt that--though this year was unprecedented in that WW84 is the only big comic book flick of the year due to the pandemic, Marvel has a whole slate of new films in production including a big Spider-Man threequel. DC is relaunching Batman with Robert Pattinson in the role. And they've already announced a third Wonder Woman. Black Widow seems to be in limbo however--wonder if Disney will drop it on their premium streaming.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

meryl streep! she might not even be the new lynda carter.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. As they’re not human who knows how logic works in their brains.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

somehow, someway, somewhere....hollywood has to get back to making movies that with substance and meaning and acting chops of the highest possible caliber. this would include adult scripts, adult production values and adult audience projections.

the whole comic book thing has been ruined by the plethora of product with no care for the value of the final product other to make as much money as humanly possible.

Mechanical Man and MoonPool like this.
  5. There are plenty of great films like you describe. You just have to search for them. Many are indie and foreign but the studios pick some up too.

in reality the best are the 7-10 episode series on the streaming services. Major talent there

6. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

So I saw WW84 on my Xbox. The end credits scene, can someone explain that?

7. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

The movie is make believe. It’s not real. We do realize there’s not an actual Rebel Alliance with combat training protocols? Right?

8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Hollywood already does that. It’s just that now, and for the past twenty or so years, they do it on so-called prestige TV.

The dynamic between TV and movies has been totally flipped since the 1970s. In the 70s, there were lowest-common-denominator movies, for sure, but movies were where grown-ups went to watch intelligent stories on screen. TV was a barren wasteland of Charlie’s Angels, Love Boat, and Match Game ’75.

Now it’s the exact opposite. The best modern TV shows are as good as or better than movies ever were, and multiplex movies are an action figure/Happy Meal tie-in wasteland.

polchik and Mazzy like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent....simply excellent!

:tiphat:

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah well, the same thing goes for The Force Awakens. I mean, if you wanna throw in stuff we never saw on screen as justification for why Luke could fly an X-Wing, Rey played a videogame when she was a kid where she flew the Millennium Falcon. That's where she learned how to get it to move.

11. Chrome_Head

They never stopped making such films—just look at the amount of the usual Oscar bait year after year. It’s not comic book flicks winning those awards.

I don’t get this claim people make that filmmakers only churn out superhero fare now, it just isn’t true.

Chris DeVoe and Mazzy like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but, and it is a big but, those comic book/superhero movie just seem to dominate the genre with their relentless ads, posters, tie-ins and hype.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Chrome_Head

So it's always been, in a way. The New Hollywood elite crapped all over George Lucas and Star Wars in 1977 as well, because it beat out films by auteurs like William Friedkin and his gritty Sorcerer at the box office.

After 3 trilogy installments of Star Wars films to date, filmmakers still produce 'smaller' indie and Oscar bait films, and they always will. The splashy "theme park" movies always get the colorful hype and attention. If anything, small screen cable dramas and series are much more of a threat to the "adult" films, as someone mentioned upthread.

14. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

It's a cameo byLynda Carter(who played Wonder Woman in the famous 70's tv show) as Asteria, the previous owner of the golden armour

15. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

That has not been the case everywhere during the full course of the pandemic.

16. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The majority of major outbreak hotspots have contact tracing which would report people’s movements which should lead to info on clusters concentrated around visits to theaters.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Spencer and sunspot-the difference between the air system in theaters and grocery stores is pretty major in the majority of cities, especially when using the major theater chains as an example. The level of filtration used in a theater is much higher than in a typical grocery stores. Having worked in the grocery industry 30+ years I am quite familiar with this. With patrons being in the space of a theater consistently 2 hours+ compared to a store it may even be by some government standard that the level of filtration must be as high as it is, many using HEPA systems. Few if any grocery stores are at this level.
    I know there’s exceptions out there around this and that your time in the grocery is always much less but if you take the other recommended precautions the movies is pretty low risk.

aroney and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. We watched this at home and were able to finish it, that is about all I can say for the movie. I haven't paid any attention to reviews or box office numbers but if this movie is a success, I would be very surprised.

Thomas D likes this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Sure there are some places that ignore public health warnings however they are not very plentiful or the film industry wouldn’t be in the crapper right now.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we loved it!

22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Fell more into that mediocre territory for me. A lot of plot holes, even for a superhero movie, and wasn't really invested in the main character as much I would have liked.

I found Chris Pine's character much more interesting. Or Cheetah, more so than Wonder Woman.

tmtomh likes this.
  23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Great cast - including Gal Gadot IMHO - but mediocre movie. Entertaining enough, but just barely. It was poorly paced, and the plot was just fatally flawed. I see no reason that they can't make another Wonder Woman movie that's as good (or at least nearly as good) as the first one, which was one of the best superhero movies ever. But it will require an exceptional script and probably a change in director (even though she did an excellent job with the first movie).

David Campbell likes this.
  24. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Echoing most sentiment here, average at best. The “wish fulfillment” at the center of the so-called story was abysmal. Plug at least a somewhat different plot in there and it might’ve been decent. Big drop from the first one, which I thought was good (maybe not “great”).

25. Exactly