Blondie 1974-1982: Against the Odds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Blaker, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Blaker

Andrew Blaker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't seen any posts about this news so wanted to see if anyone had any guesses or inside info on the upcoming archival set by Blondie. Nothing official, of course, but there have been plenty of recent articles about the set they plan to release alongside a UK tour and a new album.

Blondie announce 2021 tour and archive boxset | UNCUT

Any ideas as to what we might be able to expect/hope for in terms of what's unreleased?

Uncle Miles, Jarleboy, ARK and 3 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have no idea, but they announced the Archival box in August ... so I guess we'll see what happens. Perhaps they are waiting to release it on the tour?

Jarleboy and Andrew Blaker like this.
  3. Jmetamatic

Jmetamatic This is the end of our oxygen supply.

Hopefully it will be on CD and not vinyl only.

ispace, Siegmund, Jarleboy and 6 others like this.
  4. Andrew Blaker

It may not have been the article linked above, but I did read a couple different places that it was to be released "in four formats," so I'm assuming we'll see a vinyl and CD release.

Fred1, Jarleboy and Jmetamatic like this.
  5. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

6. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

Looks like the archive boxset is going to be part of this Graphic Art Novel. Can't say I'm keen on this package, the cartoons don't appeal to me at all but I'm curious about the music. I don'tknow too much info about the music but for the prices asked I really do wish there was more detailed info.
    I believe the archive set will come out later in the year but will it be the same as offered here?

Blondie: Against The Odds Graphic Novel (from £18.22 up to £364.45)
    Combining an imaginative take on an oral history of the band, interspersed with artistic interpretations of 10 songs from their catalog, BLONDIE: AGAINST THE ODDS captures the friction of NYC as the band fought their way to prominence, as well as the power and energy contained within the songs that fueled their rise to legendary status.

STANDARD EDITION (SOFTCOVER) INCLUDES:
    • Softcover graphic novel with cover by Amanda Conner and Paul Mounts [180 pages]
    STANDARD EDITION (HARDCOVER) INCLUDES:
    • Hardcover graphic novel with cover by Amanda Conner and Paul Mounts [180 pages]
    DELUXE EDITION (OVERSIZED SILVER INK HARDCOVER, LIMITED EDITION OF 3,000) INCLUDES:
    • Oversized Hardcover Deluxe Edition graphic novel with limited edition silver ink cover by Amanda Conner [180 pages]
    • Graphic Novel Slipcase designed by Jason "Stuntkid" Levesque
    • Exclusive Blondie 12" Vinyl *
    • (3) exclusive Blondie song-inspired art prints
    SUPER DELUXE EDITION (OVERSIZED SILVER INK HARDCOVER, LIMITED EDITION OF 500) INCLUDES:
    • Oversized Hardcover Deluxe Edition graphic novel with limited edition silver ink cover by Amanda Conner [180 pages]
    • Graphic Novel Slipcase designed by Jason "Stuntkid" Levesque
    • Very special Blondie music bundle (to be announced) *
    • Set of (10) exclusive Blondie song-inspired art prints
    • Set of (10) exclusive Blondie song-inspired postcards
      • The ten art prints and postcards will be inspired by the following classic Blondie songs: X-Offender (76) Fade Away And Radiate (78) Hanging On The Telephone (78) One Way or Another (78) Heart of Glass (78) Dreaming (79) Atomic (79) Call Me (80) Rapture (80) Island of Lost Souls (82)
    *Blondie music elements will be shipped separately.

CREATOR CREDITS:

ILLUSTRATOR: John McCrea

WRITERS: Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti

EDITOR: Rantz Hoseley

COVER ARTIST: Amanda Conner and Paul Mounts

SLIPCASE DESIGN: Jason "Stuntkid" Levesque

Blondie: Against The Odds Graphic Novel

linklinc likes this.
  7. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Interesting - Amanda Conner is one of the very best comic book artists currently working. Her & Jimmy Palmiotti’s run on the Harley Quinn comic book launched that character into super stardom.

8. footstomper

No interest in Blondie anyone and no information regarding the music/boxset included with Against The Odds?

9. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I have zero interest in the graphic novel but this longtime fan is still eagerly awaiting that Numero complete recordings set, despite its long delay in getting released. Hopefully it’s still coming.

TheLoveDrags, groovelocked and 905 like this.
  10. footstomper

I agree - the graphic novel doesn't interest me at all.
    However, Blondie fans on Facebook say the "Very special Blondie music bundle" included in the £370 Super Deluxe Edition is the forthcoming archive boxset. The z2comics site also says " Blondie music elements will be shipped separately" so it looks likely.
    There's also "Exclusive Blondie 12" Vinyl" in the cheaper £74 Deluxe Edition - but just what it is I have no idea.
    What I want to know is if the archive boxset will be available seperately or if you need to purchase it with the silly graphic novel but nobody seems to be saying anything right now. I want to order but have no idea what I am ordering - stupid!

groovelocked likes this.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Totally agree, as a fan of how they do reissue sets (their Bobo Yeye, Bedhead and Blonde Redhead sets, in particular) I’m eager for a Numero-style complete recordings of Blondie set on CD. But with Numero’s commitment to new releases on CD in question, I’d really need to know more specifics about the content and format of this set before I preordered.

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Sounds like they took a page from the Garbage playbook where they had an edition of their book with an exclusive live 12". The Blondie archive set is intriguing though.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Paul McCartney now has his Label Rep and Manager on Speed Dialo_O.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Clem Burke replied to me on Twitter today that the archival voxset is definitely happening and will come out in August!

longdist01 and power popper like this.
  16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Nice pic.
    Is this the cover of the box set??

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

18. Andrew Blaker

I've held off on getting any of Blondie's pre-"No Exit" catalog on CD but starting to wonder if this box set, if it sees light of day, is worth it. I mean, plenty of other archive releases on vinyl are coming this year, so seems to be more a management problem here...

19. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Wish they were touring the USA.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Typo or not, "voxset" is a cool word.

groovelocked, Matthew Tate and ARK like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i wish they would come out with this

bluearmy78 and 905 like this.
  22. autoamerican

autoamerican X-Offender

The Curse of Blondie

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. autoamerican

autoamerican X-Offender

Seriously, I call ********.
    This happens Every SINGLE Release from way back when........
    JUST RELEASE THE DIGITAL AND CD Formats!!!!!! Not so hard. Who cares about vinyl at this point. Its not original pressings from the 70s. So who cares?
    We can have those released later. Just release the digital format then if it comes to it. There is just no excuse by now.
    They've been dangling this carrot in front of us for over 3 years and Heart of Glass EP did well so what are they waiting for?
    Truly the Curse of Blondie. This has happened with every album since No Exit. Delays, delays, procrastination, and delays.
    Boring. Get your **** together Numero Group.

serj, groovelocked, DRJOEL65 and 4 others like this.
  24. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

25. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

It’s probably the animosity with the previous band members that been holding it back, the usual writing credits, performance rights, photography. That stuff takes forever. The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame snub to Nigel Harrison and Frank Infante is probably behind everything.

Fred1, Matthew Tate and LAL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.