"I Keep Looking For That Sunset" Can anyone identify this '70s rock song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FatBird, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aliotta, Haynes and Jeremiah.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  2. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

Nice try. <snort> <koff> Sorry, can't Beatlejack this thread. There's a twang.

Bern and Farmer Mike like this.
  3. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I've went through the Discog credits for Waddy, David Lindley, Joe Walsh, Danny Kortchmar and Jesse Ed Davis and didn't hear anything from the sound samples that matched, though there many that didn't have a audio sample.

4. MartyGabriel

I'm convinced it's not Californian at all. It's not making my teeth numb. It's got that early to mid 70's Nashville progressive Countrypolitan vibe to it -- Billy Swan, Billy Crash Craddock, Kenny O'Dell ("Homecoming Queen" came to mind immediately), Ray Stevens when he's not clowning ("You've Got The Music Inside" registered). But I'm also detecting an Oregon Mark Lindsay sort of vibe, like "Arizona" or "Silver Bird." It's also got a really strong Canadian prairie vibe to it, like Winnipeg or Saskatoon, but not Vancouver at all. It's got the colour of the gorges when the snow melts. I'm wondering if it's not something Canadian -- the twang says country, but it's not southern. I can imagine both Guess Who or John Denver following it. Synaesthetically it conjures up being at an ice-skating rink in the dead of winter in Saskatoon trying to drink cocoa that's just too hot, so you hobble over as well as you can on your blades and play a round of pinball while the cocoa's cooling.

Farmer Mike and Bern like this.
  5. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

I thought it was very John Demverish.

6. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Sounds like Lobo played through an AM radio in the corner of a laundromat in Hell.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Farmer Mike likes this.
  7. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"The Fresh Feeling of Brand-New Oncoming Diarrhea"

Farmer Mike and TheseGoTo11 like this.
  8. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

This NEEDS to be investigated more.

They were a local Chicago band in the mid-70s that never really broke through nationally, but one of their songs, “Lake Shore Drive,” was featured on the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and based on that track, it sure sounds like something they’d record, from a vocal and musical standpoint.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  9. IHeartRecordsAz

Apparently before that Aliotta Haynes released an album as Aliotta Haynes Music, as well.

10. IHeartRecordsAz

One last thing: the album above (which came out in 1970) has a track on it called “I Saw the Sun.”

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  11. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I Saw the Sun ain't it unfortunately

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Lake Shore Drive" has always ubiquitous on Chicago radio at least since I got here in the 90's.

13. John V

John V Forum Resident

Whatever it is, it can't possibly be by any major band because (a) someone would know it and (b) it would not have avoided detection for so long, so it must be a song that was never a hit anywhere and possibly never commercially released but played by the station that the original poster heard it on. This suggests a good but ultimately unsuccessful American band, possibly from the Chicago area. Whatever the answer, it's a great puzzle!

14. IHeartRecordsAz

15. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

This is most fascinating, a mystery song which nobody on the web or the SHF can identify! Sounds like a really nice song by the way

From the sound of it, I'm guessing a Paul Williams association. kind of reminds me of "We've Only Just Begun", not so much the melody but the general vibe

Bern likes this.
  16. IHeartRecordsAz

The vibe, while still in AOR/soft rock territory, has a bit more grit (mostly in that guitar playing, which is the highlight of this track) than what you’d find in most of his recordings. IMO, whoever recorded this took a lot of inspiration from “Sister Golden Hair” and “Day After Day.”

17. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

A talented yet undiscovered artist/band seems to make the most sense. Has anyone tried contacting WXRT's Terri Hemmert?

18. classicrockguy

Vocal sounds a bit like Ron Dante, kind of like this failed TV show theme

19. IHeartRecordsAz

I just did. I’ll be sure to let everyone here know if she responds.

Hey Vinyl Man and Monasmee like this.
  20. classicrockguy

Another Ron Dante number,

21. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

22. MartyGabriel

Thanks! Now I can pop this damned OCD bubble this thing was driving!! LOL

FatBird and SteelyNJ like this.
  23. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

FatBird, paulybauls and SteelyNJ like this.
  24. classicrockguy

That's the song but I think it might be someone else singing it, sounds more upbeat and with Beach Boys type harmonies along with the vocals, the link was just the singer and a piano

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  25. classicrockguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.