Cobra Kai-Karate Kid Sequel Series Starring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Yes!! Best news all day. Started S1 with extremely low expectations. It does have flaws, but it’s also really fun! Bring on S3!

MikaelaArsenault and captouch like this.
  2. So, I suppose we'll be starting Season 3 tonight.

I'm hoping that Daniel-San will get his comeuppance, but I smell a teamup. That would be good, though.

It's campy yet I'm glad the show exists. :)

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

4 episodes in. So far, so good. They didn't mess with something that was clearly working. We'll finish watching over the weekend.

Szeppelin75, DML71 and johnny q like this.
  4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I watched the entire 3rd season Sunday. I won't reveal details, but as much as I enjoyed the first two seasons, the plot and characterizations have worn thin, and I'm not sure how they can revitalize it for another season.

Bhobb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I'm 7 episodes in. I'm enjoying it. Trying to avoid spoilers before I finish the season, probably later today

6. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

It is simple and very satisfying, like comfort food.

7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

This season was great. Not sure how something can be so terrible and so great at the same time.

As far as mining for next season, they havent touched the new characters in KK3. They can easily make a 4th,if not 5th season.

EVOLVIST, bababooey, DML71 and 2 others like this.
  8. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I'm loving it. Just the right balance of cheese, nostalgia, and drama.

Billy Infinity and DML71 like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I agree. Just finished the last episode. In a lot of ways it was pretty bad, but I loved it.

Looks like there definitely will be a character from part 3 next season. (Maybe they'll figure out how to get Hilary Swank in there someday too.)

kouzie and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just saw up to and completed episode 5 last night.
    Each episode is 1/2 hr....which I was surprised about.

I found the 5th episode to be, by far, the best. What a great episode about forgiveness and the circle of karma.
    I think those scenes with Daniel-San and the other 2 (without giving away the plot) were the most moving of all 3 season.

mmars982 and johnny q like this.
  11. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Without giving away any spoilers, who else noticed an influence from the Netflix Daredevil series in that last episode's fight scene?

I was impressed they managed to pull off a single cut extended fight scene with so many cast members

12. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Got in all of Season 3 yesterday, after catching 1 and 2 in bits and pieces on youtube. It's like a Lifetime Network movie with copious amounts of teenage *ss-kicking. And huge dollops of 80s nostalgia: a good formula. Some seriously bad writing, too, along the lines of 13 Reasons Why, which grew insane in the amounts of violence and unbelievability after the first season. How do kids routinely commit felony crimes, along the lines of aggravated assaults that involve broken bones of other kids, or breaking and entering/destruction of business and residential properties, without police involvement? In many cases, without parental involvement? You show up at an emergency room to find your kid with a heavily bruised face, multiple contusions, sedated in a full-limb cast, and you're not seeing red? Here's hoping next season is the last, before it turns into the berserk, long-form Public Service Announcement 13 Reasons Why devolved into.

13. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

So many plot holes as you mentioned, yet the wife and I are enjoying the s**t out of it. Yet I can't help calling out all the plot holes.

14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I don't mind the plot holes, and I can deal with the unrealistic, over the top fight scenes. But I'm getting a little tired of all the, "Mr. Miyagi always said..." speeches. And Daniel-san isn't even the only one giving them now. Minor grievance.

bababooey and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Yep, I am four episodes in and still enjoying it, but it definitely has that "it's so bad that it's good" feel. The less we see Kreese the better, and the tendency to turn any bad look someone gives another into an excuse for a karate fight to break out is really annoying (99.9999% of the population are not eager to fight someone on the spot the instant they say or do anything they do not like), but that is the allure of the show, I guess.

Joker to the thief likes this.
  16. Waterloo17

Waterloo17 Forum Resident

The first two seasons had the “bad-in-an-80s-nostalgic-way” thing going for it. Two episodes in and this season is just bad.

Joker to the thief and Bhobb like this.
  17. jojopuppyfish

IMO John G. Avildsen. should have won an oscar for make Martin Kove look like a decent actor in the first movie.
    He really is a horrible actor.

GodShifter and George Co-Stanza like this.
  18. jojopuppyfish

Just finished the season.
    Yes I liked it. I liked 5 through 10 more than the first few episodes of this season

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm five episodes in. I'm enjoying it but am also disappointed. The first two seasons skirted the edge of credibility, but this season's blown it away. There's so many ridiculously unrealistic events that I despair the thought of cataloging them. It's almost like Stranger Things - the third season is in some ways almost a parody of the show. Ah well, the longer a show lives, the more likely it'll embarrass itself I suppose. I expect that one of the problems is that this season was done long before it was aired. The long wait made me expect something better, but the whole season's been in the can for over a year.

20. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I loved Season 3, in fact watching it again for 2nd time

21. George Co-Stanza

Weird season.

SPOILERS BELOW

Some genuinely nice and heart-warming moments mixed in with too many scenes of over the top ridiculousness. A group of teenagers can now storm into someone's house, instigate a massive fight and basically destroy it with no consequences? LOL, okay.

I did enjoy seeing Kreese get his ass kicked by both Johnny and Daniel back to back in the span of less than five minutes.

Sorry, though, not buying the Hawk face turn. That kid has been one of the biggest dirtbags on the show, and Demetri forgave him way too quickly for breaking his freaking arm. Do the writers think is now WWE where characters can just randomly be turned face or heel for seemingly no reason??

22. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Enjoyed seasons 1 and 2. S3, not so much. The horse they're flogging isn't dead yet, but it's coughing up blood.

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm hoping they can wrap everything up in Season 4, then if anything, maybe start some kind of a spinoff.

George Co-Stanza and Bhobb like this.
  24. jojopuppyfish

I just thought of a great season 4.
    Johnny , Danny team up and kick the crap out of all the kids. But the kids turn the tables and they start beating them all up.
    Out of nowhere in a black karate robe: Ali helps Johnny and Danny beat up all the kids.
    Meaning....after all of these years, Ali secretly has been learning Karate.
    She's like Yoda with a Y
    Should I send my idea in to the producers?

25. George Co-Stanza

Agreed. Too much ridiculous violence and unrealistic altercations with no consequences, and while it is neat to bring back old characters from the films, the more they do it, the more it feels like total fan service.

GodShifter, Waterloo17 and Bhobb like this.