Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Given the financial condition of the theater chains headed into this pandemic, I wouldn't bet a single dime on that assertion.

2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

There were plenty of cities where theaters were open early in the
    the systems were in place long before the pandemic

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we watched this tonight...we liked it after all...

4. Michael

a funny clip with you know who...meant nothing other than a dash of nostalgia IMO.

5. Michael

fountain of youth...

6. Michael

well they are practical until they went out of style...

7. Michael

well that's cool...I have yet to see anyone wearing one though...

8. Michael

weirdly not? Hmmm...

9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

No shame in loving/liking a movie you've seen TWICE.

10. Michael

actually three times, so therefore I should post it again....; ) SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you are keeping track in case I forget. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to remind me I saw this movie more than once..now that is cool and so damn kind! Keep it up! it makes me feel proud that someone cares so much for me! I'm getting teary eyed...sniff, sniff... just too cool for school...dude.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I watched a few clips on YT. That is insane, this movie is so bad. Horrible is still an understatement!

Shawn and formu_la like this.
  12. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

Mediocre at best.
    Lacked a cohesive story which resulted in a movie that ran too long and was over reliant on CGI even for a super hero movie.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Watch it TWO more times and then get back to us.

Shawn, agentalbert and GentleSenator like this.
  14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I would think they your average theater has basic rooftop units. Probably standard merv 8 (30%ish) filters.
    I'm used to Wegmans in these parts, who tend to high end. So at least equal but likely better HVAC (ventilation and filtration).
    I can't imagine anything close to HEPA in either.
    It would take very little to improve the filtration in both, and many may have already done it.

Shawn likes this.
  15. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

P.S. You people have completely taken away my ambition to see WW84.

16. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The story is fine. It needed a good editor - there’s NO reason this thing needed to be 2 and 1/2 hours long. Gal Godot was born to play the role - very appealing performer. I liked that there was some actual character development, and I also liked the underlying sadness of the story with Steve Trevor. The denouement was too high stakes, as tends to be the case with all of these comic book movies.

sunspot42, eeglug and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Eh, see it anyway. It's certainly no masterpiece, but far from the abomination that posters here would have you believe. I've seen far worse.

jhm, GentleSenator and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

We have done you a huge favour.

Shawn, sunspot42 and SamS like this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

had it been one minute longer, i may disagree with you. it was right on the verge of abomination ;)

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

If WW84 and the similarly mediocre Harley Quinn flick Birds Of Prey has taught me anything, it’s that women writers and directors can make just as bad and underwhelming comic book films as their male counterparts.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

It's a bad movie in my opinion.

She literally bends over and mimes "Shhh!" to no less than 4 kids in the movie.

I think this isn't a superhero "cape" film but a kids movie - and taken as a kids film it's better but still bad.

I mean, kids love some light murder, right? Kids love border disputes right? Kids understand desperation, avarice and envy, right???

It's simply a bad superhero movie and a badly paced movie.

The good: Gal Godot is purty. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome. WW can not only glide, but can fly. (I always like her better when she can fly.)

The bad: Pacing was bad. 2 opening scenes were bad. The dildo-ish looking dream rock was bad. The stealing of the fighter jet - where they walk into an abandoned hangar and before they can take off there are at leaast 15 police and aircraft people at the end of the runway. The weird as hell pacing of the fireworks scene. The Frankie Goes To Hollywood Two Tribes looking Reagan. Being able to walk away from the White House and through a riot. How Steve Trevor sad good bye, walked backward behind a pillar - did he just wait to die later??

But hey - it was "free" because my mother has HBO and I pay her cable bill so I have the password :)

It's sub "Meteor Man" in my eyes.

I'm almost certain Dune will turn out like this - I hope I'm wrong.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Sounds like a judge issuing a verdict on minor misdemeanor. "Plus 20 hours of public service".
    Actually, I may prefer collecting garbage on a highway then watch it again 2 more times.

23. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

He didn’t die. He was just inhabiting some other guy’s body. Once she turned the corner, she renounced her wish and Steve was no longer in possession of that body.

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

[​IMG]

Sure, but it was soooo predictable :nyah:

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Week#2 Box Office numbers, dismal which is no surprise.

The DC superhero sequel, which is also available on HBO Max, closed out the worst year in Hollywood's history as domestic revenue plunged to at least a 40-year low amid the pandemic.

Wonder Woman 1984 grossed $5.5 million over New Year's weekend as the official holiday season ended and Hollywood bid adieu to its worst year ever at the box office due to the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The superhero sequel has now earned an estimated $28.5 million domestically and $90 million overseas for a muted worldwide tally of $118.5 million. In a controversial move, Warners made the Christmas Day tentpole available the same day on HBO Max and in cinemas because of the COVID-19 crisis and continued theater closures in many major markets.

WW84 — which is also available on HBO Max — fell 67 percent in its second weekend of play domestically, a hefty drop for the holiday weekend even with the pandemic. The Croods: The New Age, for example, was up 25 percent in its sixth weekend with $2.2 million.

The Croods 2 is also playing in the home after being made available on premium VOD three weeks after its theatrical debut.