Bob Dylan LP remasters by Mobile Fidelity starting w/Freewheelin' & Another Side...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Jul 15, 2012.

1. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Fingers crossed for “Slow Train Coming”.
    A MoFi release of this would be super exciting!

Tim Albertson, petercl and Leviathan like this.
  2. GazHilarant

GazHilarant Forum Resident

They mentioned around mid-2020 that they had no plans to do slow train coming, which is pretty disappointing I do hope that they do a 33 self-portrait though

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Checking in here because I finally managed to find (= order online) a Freewheelin’ 2 x 45rpm MONO for a reasonable price, new, at a Dutch record store.

Very excited for it to arrive next week. One that was on my wishlist but I thought would possibly never happen.

Revolver and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Assuming Sony is willing to license Slow Train Coming, why would MFSL not want to do Slow Train Coming? They’ve done all of the Dire Straits albums, and the Knopfler/audiophile angle would make this a very easy sell for them. Of the Dylan titles MFSL hasn’t yet done, my three biggest wishes are:

1) Slow Train Coming
    2) Self Portrait
    3) Time Out of Mind

nfmboss666, Jellis77 and markmck79 like this.
  5. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Hope it’s not this guy: Home

Be careful with them, they list everything like they can get it but they don’t actually stock it and can’t get most of it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  6. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

:( Well, in fact it was, and I just received a cancelation of my order. Major bummer, and very disappointing that they’re apparently notorious for this kind of nonsense... :realmad:

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They haven't done all the Dire Straits studio albums: On Every Street is missing. It seems to me they pick and choose what they feel will be the biggest sellers in each artist's catalogue.

I would love for them to do STC and TOoM but it seems they don't have any plans for them.

sennj likes this.
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I've decided to dive into the MOFI SACDs (is this thread for discussing the SACDs as well?). I've already received Blonde on Blonde and Basement Tapes. I've been able to place an order for Before the Flood that was apparently in stock but I'm skeptical whether I will receive it. I've got another 9(!) on order direct from MOFI but they haven't shipped yet, they told me they don't give ETAs for shipping and I will get a tracking number when they ship. Do they usually take a while to ship in stock products?

I was planning on just listening to the Redbook layers as I have no SACD player but after some looking around on the internet amazingly I found one of the few old Sony Blu Ray players that can be used to rip SACDs on eBay. There were 2 listings on eBay UK for a player and with a stroke of luck one of them was 10 minutes drive from my house "collection only"! Collected it today and ripped the DSD of BoB and BT.

I've only listened to Blonde on Blonde so far and it is astounding, the only other digital version I've ever heard is the 2003 remaster. I find the MOFI to be so much more natural sounding, in comparison the 2003 sounds like everything is competing to be at the forefront wheres on the MOFI everything is in its right place.

Can't wait to get more of the SACDs and get the DSD ripped!

9. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Wonder will the fact Universal now own the rights mean they might licence MoFi to start releasing fresh Bob audiophile remasters? Certainly hope so. Would love to hear their take on TOOM, Modern Times and Tempest.

10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I honestly didn’t know that was a Dire Straits album. I guess I should amend my thought to “MFSL has done all of the Dire Straits albums casual fans are aware of, and ordinary people care about, from the debut through Brothers in Arms.”

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just curious, do you systematically rip the DSD files and never listen directly to the SACD from your player? if so, why?

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Universal bought Bob’s publishing, not his master tapes. Sony still owns the masters. I presume both companies would have to sign off on any future licensing of the catalog. And as long as Bob is affiliated with Sony, I would assume he and his team have final say over what gets licensed, but they clearly like to make money, and the MFSL titles sell well at high prices.

Given the success of the MFSL issues of Oh Mercy and Love & Theft, I would presume everyone involved would like to see Time Out of Mind, Modern Times, and Tempest come out on MFSL, although I will say that the original stock pressing of Modern Times already sounds quite nice.

I still find it baffling that Slow Train Coming hasn’t already received the MFSL treatment.

13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I could connect the RCA out to my amp (not sure if it will be PCM though?) but my Sony WM1A Walkman plays DSD natively and I’ve got modified firmware on that which plays DSD out of both 3.5mm and 4.4mm connections

Plan9 likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

OK, nice that your walkman does DSD natively! Maybe that's the case for your SACD player too, depends on the model.

15. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Maybe MOFI is just afraid to touch the Born Again stuff for fear of its reputation among fans, but I agree it would sell and probably in the same sort of 3k limited numbers we've seen for other Bob titles. Slow Train Coming sounds great, and the recent bootleg series on the gospel years rehabilitated the studio records a bit, I think.

Gdgray and nfmboss666 like this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

If I were MoFi, I might be scared of issuing Saved, but I would be all over issuing Slow Train Coming if Sony would let me.

nfmboss666, dtuck90 and Gabe Walters like this.
  17. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

Oh Mercy is back in stock on MD FYI.

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Woot! I’ve been waiting on a replacement copy for a damaged one for a long time.

19. NorthernFusion

NorthernFusion There's some fear in letting go...

I had a replacement added to my Love and Theft order, all because they originally sent me a copy with a black line through the number box.

20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Sorry I don’t follow these things as closely as some of you — any chance Love & Theft will come back in stock?

mne563 likes this.
  21. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I'd like to know too. I kept seeing Love & Theft as "coming soon" and then I saw it was sold out! I never did see it for sale.

22. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

For those of you in Canada don't rush to pay on the US sites like MOFI and Music Direct for Oh Mercy. As usual you'll get dinged on shipping and import fees and the currency exchange. I just saw the above message and rushed to phoned my shop before they closed and they said it's available on their distributer for their regular retail for a 2xLP MOFI ($70CAD)

Craig's Story likes this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thank you for posting this !

I've been waiting 5 months for this. Just called and confirmed my order of this and Love And Theft will definitely ship within the next 24 hours.

NorthernFusion likes this.
  24. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Mobile Fidelity Love and Theft???

Myke likes this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

OptimisticGoat and Myke like this.