Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I still say you should see it if you already have HBO Max. Don't listen to us. See it and make up your own mind. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but if you have two hours and change to kill and you can see it free,why not? Worse comes to worse you can just cut it off if you find it too disagreeable.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

At 67 I'm admittedly a comic book nerd. Months ago, I think Geoff Johns, a top writer for DC for decades, talked about the return of Steve Trevor. About how important his return would be, make total sense, and ultimately be acceptable to the nerds (like me!). I watched WW84 and truthfully, I lost interest! I must have slept thru it! I mean, when Godot slept with him, was she banging a new guy? Easily the worst of the new WW series. DC's movies have always had "issues", but this one is the worst!

Veronica Mars likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you made a decision on a few clips? I have to disagree with you on this. It was good, not great but surly watchable...: )

4. Ishtar was a better film

MichaelXX2 and Veronica Mars like this.
  5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

But what was he doing in between the time she left and the time when she renounced her wish?
    Or did she renounce her wish right then? Or did she do it fighting with Cheetah in black and white land?
    Because if she did it during that fight he was just chilling in DC until...?
    And if she renounced the wish in D.C. then why was she getting so trimmed up later in the movie until Cheetah says "So you renounced your wish??"

You know, it got me to watch it, I'll just move on to the next thing that comes on.

I'm sure I won't like Justice League Snider Cut either :)

6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

You know, I noticed Geoff Johns having script credit with director Patty Jenkins at the beginning. I’ve liked a lot of Johns’ writing (recently read his two Batman: Earth One books which I thought were pretty great), but having him work on the screen story did this movie no favors.

7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I wish it was better but would put it around the middle of the pack. I don't care if the Steve thing was weak logically but it was weak dramatically. The flying scenes were beautiful and the action, tho I needed more, was good. I appreciate a superhero movie that doesn't feel compelled to pelt us with a clever aside every 12 seconds and the corny sincerity of this or Shazam is OK with me. The ending wasn't any sillier that Superman. But if you want to see Jeoff Johns at his best, working with his own character, I recommend Stargirl.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

And with all the money dried up does anybody seriously think those systems are being well-maintained?

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I for one, am glad that Green Lantern and X-Men Origins: Wolverine now have a little sister to play with... :D

Chrome_Head likes this.
  10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

My family watched it on HBOMax. It was just ok. It was a mess plot-wise. Cool cameo though.

11. Look at the bright side, it will be hilarious should the guys from Rifftrax ever decide to tackle it.

12. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

:doh:

13. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I don't have HBO.
    It sounds like the kind of thing I would wait for on TV so I can channel surf while watching it (yes I have a low attention span). Though I may deep six the cable before then.

14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I take it you've never worked for a company that's going down the drain before. I did, straight out of college. Whatever filtration those theaters might actually have - and I doubt it's much in most places - it's not being well-maintained right now. Because the theater chains are broke.

Shawn and Spencer R like this.
  15. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

The local Regal kept having a problem in their fire alarm system that caused a faint electrical buzz through the sound systems in every one of their screening rooms. The same pattern of buzzes, over and over, all the time. They knew about it, but it would go on for weeks before getting fixed.

A few weeks later it would happen again. This was ongoing over a period of months, right up until the shutdowns.

I wouldn't bet on their having great air filtration systems in place.

16. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

The RedLetterMedia guys were split.

17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

i've had 3 grocery stores go under while i was in there employ. and yes one let everything go to pot before the closure. others stayed well maintained so as to not turn off any potential buyers. the theaters still have hope for a renewal of business and while they may not be at a normal business level of maintenance, a)the air systems have not been used leading to less need to maintain & b)letting them go will just lead to higher expense in the future when/if they are able to reopen.

18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Did we not have a summer this year? They were running the A/C the whole time they were open, and might even run it when they're closed in many climates. It might not be running as hard as it would be with the theaters jammed with viewers, but anywhere across the sunbelt they would have been running the A/C.

And with no money, there's been no maintenance unless smoke started pouring out of a unit. I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped swapping out filters months ago, unless the landlord handles that automatically. (And I wouldn't be surprised if the landlords stopped all maintenance anticipating the theater chain was about to go under and was in no position to complain.)

Shawn and Veronica Mars like this.
  19. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

If theaters die and take garbage nonsense blockbusters like this with them, I won't complain one bit.

GentleSenator, Shawn and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as George said; Think for Yourself...I have never deprived myself of a movie good or bad on the words of another...enjoy!

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If it's any reassurance, on The Daily Show Dr Fauci was asked whether or not it was okay to go to a movie theater. He was perfectly fine with it as long as you wore your mask.

My wife and I have seen three movies a week since AMC reopened their theaters. We're sitting in a space intended for 300 people, generally with only 5 or 6 others, sharing half a million cubic feet of air being passed through Merv 13 filters.

jlocke08 likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

A lot of countries handled the pandemic a lot better than we have and have opened up theaters again. I've been keeping fairly close track of news about covid-19, and have yet to see one outbreak traced to a theater.

If you want to go see a movie, I can recommend News of the World, the Western starring Tom Hanks. But the best film in the theaters currently, and in fact the best film of 2020, is Promising Young Woman. Brilliant acting, directing and script and I'm confident it will get multiple Oscar nominations.
    See above.
    AMC has been promoting the fact that they've installed MIRV13 grade filters, the same type used in hospitals.

AMC has been fogging every theater with disinfectant between every single show. There are dispenser buckets with wet disinfectant soaked towels available at every one of their theaters, and we always grab several of them to wash the arms of the chairs we will be sitting in. They have been enforcing mask policies, supplying masks to people who visit wearing unacceptable types like those neck gaiters.

23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Before the pandemic, at my local multiplex, it was an open question whether the sound would be turned on for the commercials and previews before the movie started. I’ve had to go to the popcorn stand and say, “Hey, is anyone aware that the sound isn’t on?”.

If they can’t pay attention to that, I highly doubt they’re paying attention to anything else in their theatre.

Mazzy, sunspot42 and Jeff Edwards like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Actually they both agreed it was terrible. The one guy said to watch it ONLY if you already have HBO Max, don't spend additional $ on it.

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

“I renounce my wish”

Just a terrible plot. But...since the original TV series was also up on HBO I watched the pilot. Oh my, it’s a tradition of Incompetent stories filmmaking and hot chicks.

sunspot42 and GentleSenator like this.