Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The TV series , especially seasons 2-4 are completely awful - except for Lynda Carter who is AMAZING!!

Compared to the TV show the movie was pretty good - but only in comparison .

But compared to Wonder Woman in the comics and the newer animated series and the previous movie, and just stories in general, then WW84 was terrible :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

In addition to Lynda Carter/Wonder Woman, didn't the show also have Debra Winger as Wondergirl early on?

jpelg likes this.
  3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Naw. It was the "Late Show with David Letterman" that employed her as Wonder Girl.

[​IMG]

4. To be fair, AMC states they’ve installed Merv 13 filters ‘wherever possible.’ What % of their theaters have Merv 13 is not stated, at least on the AMC page below:

AMC Safe & Clean™

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Chris-respect your opinion more than most on this board. i personally can't wait until the theaters open in WA and i'll be first in line. i am just wondering the reasoning why you responded to my recent posts but didn't touch on any of the posts from the other member who i was debating theater safety with.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The theater we visit most often (AMC Town Center 20) is right next door to their corporate offices, so I'm sure it is up to their highest standard.

7. Chris DeVoe

Honestly? I'd have to look back through the whole thread. I must confess, I haven't read through this thread as carefully as I might have.

And thank you.

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

no problem. and no worries.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Might be worth asking next time you go - I’m guessing there’s mechanical issues that might prevent them from installing the Merv 13 filters, regardless of being next to a corporate office.

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah she was in the first couple of seasons for like 3 separate episodes.

11. Chris DeVoe

It's a general rule of thumb that if they pay attention to the small things, they'll also pay attention to the big ones - best exemplified by Van Halen's demand that there be no brown M&Ms in the bowl on the catering table. If there were any brown M&Ms, that meant that they promoter had not paid close attention to the contract, and that the electricity would probably not be up to snuff, and that all the rest of the safety items hadn't been given an appropriate level of attention.

If I go to an AMC theater, see everyone with masks covering both their mouth and nose, see all the food service people wearing gloves, and see the person checking tickets making sure that everyone has a mask that appropriately covers their mouth and nose - I can be pretty sure that the air filters have been installed and maintained.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  12. And yet AMC clearly states that isn’t the case.

13. Chris DeVoe

They have multiple grades of theaters with a wide variety of different ages. And quite sensibly, they covered their butts legally by saying that some of the theaters may not get MERV13 filters. We're visiting the location a short walking distance from their corporate offices, so I expect every standard to be adhered to - at least at this specific location.

Please, feel free to find a report of somebody who contracted covid-19 from visiting a theater rather than spending time talking face-to-face with somebody who was infected.

My wife and I have seen at least 60 films in the theater since AMC reopened their locations in August. We take a considerable amount of care, using the AMC app to make sure that there's nobody sitting close to us (it helps that we prefer to sit down front, so we're not exactly fighting over the seats we want.) We have to make our own reasonable determinations of risk, and sharing a half million cubic foot space with five other people at least 40 feet away, all wearing masks... is a minimal one.

jlocke08 likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Although I haven't gone to see for myself yet, I'm still at a loss as to how one continues to respect mask regulations, while also munching on the things that help keep theaters solvent in the first place. Isn't there a point where the patron, anxious to guzzle and gulp, simply throws caution to the winds and leaves his mouth exposed as one would indoors in a restaurant? :confused: I'm assuming even the good ones don't have employees walking the aisles, whispering, "Hey - you've finished your Junior Mints, now cover your pie hole...!"

Is it realistic to expect patrons to continue to mask up once they've been given the freedom to enjoy a refreshment? Sorry if this has already been covered here.

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. I certainly hope they also take the temperature of every customer too.

I ain’t going to a theater anytime soon.

Shawn, sunspot42 and GentleSenator like this.
  16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I noted above, given that, before the pandemic, my local multiplex frequently paid no attention to whether or not the sound was on during the previews and commercials that local businesses and movie studios paid to have screened, I highly doubt they’re paying attention to bigger issues than that. Going to the movies at the mall isn’t going to some luxury business that’s putting in cutting edge air filtration technology.

jpelg, Shawn and sunspot42 like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

The odds of getting covid-19 from somebody 40 ft away in a room with a 60-ft high ceiling are very low. Again, please find a news report of a movie theater being the center of an outbreak.

twicks likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

If memory serves, you were one of the people who has consistently contributed to every movie thread pre-covid that you had not been to a theater in years and were never going back to one.

19. Not me. I went to see in a movie almost every week or every other before this Mishigas . Especially the amazing Cinerama in Seattle.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

twicks, sthorntn, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  21. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

At the end Mike recommended it. They both think it's terrible obviously.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That reminds me, I was going to use my California Raisins costume again this Halloween...(yeah, it was a really bad costume...)

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

My mistake.

24. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Debra Winger played Wonder Girl in the original 1970s ABC Wonder Woman series as well. That was the joke - that's why she did it on Letterman.

25. From How safe is it to go to indoor movie theaters during the COVID-19 pandemic? And this was written prior to the new COVID mutation with higher infection rates:

So how safe is going to an indoor movie?
    For perspective, The Times asked experts to rate the safety of certain activities on a scale from 0 to 100, 0 being the least likely to result in COVID-19 infection and 100 being the most dangerous. Among the activities listed, they separately agreed indoor moviegoing was among the riskiest. Benjamin declined to provide ratings but put moviegoing in the range of going to an indoor restaurant.

• Outdoor restaurant: 10
    • Grocery store: 15-20 (or 30-40 if people congregate)
    • Commercial airliner: 40-50
    • Outdoor event, not socially distanced, masks not enforced: 40-50
    • Indoor movie: 50-60 (up to 75 if people are laughing, shouting, singing along)
    • Indoor bar, masks and social distancing not enforced: 80
    As of this writing, the CDC lists moviegoing among its higher risk activities.