All things Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

The original track listing had Solsbury Hill as the lead track and Moribund was Side 1 Track 4. Very early privately circulated tapes have this track listing.
    And the original plan for the record label design of this album was the nude label later used for Modern Love 7”. But Charisma nixed those plans fearing a ban of sorts.

MrCJF likes this.
  2. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

Opening PG1 with Solsbury Hill makes so much more sense to me. As much as I love Moribund it just feels like a track for later on a side.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You would think during pandemic PG would have plenty of time to finish off an album of new material....

4. Or their third about a creepy stalker? Gabriel has usually opened with bold, provocative songs.

JeffMo likes this.
  5. Streaming the Flotsam & Jetsam set. Wish he would put out an a pair of these with the songs and remixes on two different sets.

6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I have no idea what he may do with F&J but it does seem logical that eventually a physical release will happen.
    I was told some time ago that a vinyl version of Ovo was in the works so why not F&J?
    Now all the live albums are out or planned it seems to me that Ovo must be coming out at some point as it’s the only back catalogue album that hasn’t made it to vinyl apart from Hit.

SO as these things tend to be issued in batches why not tie UP a trio of Ovo, Hit and Flotsam and Jetsam for US fans?

wayneklein likes this.
  7. I like how you tied in the title of Gabriel’s So album as a pun here.

MicSmith likes this.
  8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Love the way he sings with different voices/accents like Bowie. And a pretty unique sounding voice anyway...you don't mistake him for anyone else.

Scotian and BeatlesBop like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Browsing the official store last night, I was amused to see you can purchase a set of five PG Lego mini figures in various Genesis costumes! :laugh:

10. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

It’s 40 years ago this month that the second issue of The (Bristol) Recorder was released via mail order, featuring 3 live tracks by Gabriel and an interview in the pages of the accompanying magazine. This enterprising venture was short lived running to just 3 issues but sowed the seeds for plans for the first WOMAD festival eventually staged in 1982 in Shepton Mallet which I attended with three friends. Gabriel’s version of Biko at that festival was released officially last July on Gabriel’s you tube channel. It would great if more of this footage was to be released at some point.... a 40th anniversary of WOMAD perhaps.... if it makes it of course.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What were the three live songs?

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Plays Live was my first Gabriel album.
    I love it. I have never warmed to Family and the Fishing Net, but aside from that, solid all the way through.....
    So solid in fact that when I bought the studio albums, it took a little adjustment.

proedros, elee532, sleepjar and 5 others like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Family scared the crap out of me first hearing it. This was before I was de-sensitized by the likes of Ministry and Skinny Puppy :laugh:
    For a wedding song it's still pretty damn creepy!

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. DavyBhoy

DavyBhoy Forum Resident

I was kinda sad for him that quite a few people ruined the lovely idea that was "Scratch My Back", though he should have known some artists aren't prolific for a reason.

A word for his WONDERFUL cameos in the Brian Pern series. Seeing Gabriel re-create the ending of The Long Good Friday never fails to crack me up.

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm beginning to wonder if PG has unofficially retired. The recent reissues of back catalog along with b-sides and soundtrack comps have a bit of a finale feel to me.

Hope I'm wrong but he certainly doesn't owe us any more at this point.

Gary7704 and c-eling like this.
  16. c-eling

I think the old fart's got one more in em.
    With live performances at a halt, this would be the year to pull it out.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Mark, That is how I feel about all of his live albums, actually.

The opener on PL of "Rhythm of the Heat" is so powerful!

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Or, we could just re-release an old thread, perhaps use a new font?.... ;)

JeffMo likes this.
  19. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I own em all! I even starting building the "white shows" tour stage for them to stand on.

Yes. It's as sad as it sounds.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Intruder for me. He's almost a bit too convincing on that one. :agree:

mark winstanley and c-eling like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't get that vibe (although who knows if we'll see him touring again). He's a creative being and I don't think he'll ever stop making music.

The question is whether he ever allows himself to stop tinkering and let go of his creations in order for others to hear them.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

:laugh:
    I'll take Family over that one.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Show some respect to your elders young whippersnapper.....

In high res!

24. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

All these recent PG live vinyl things have been panned on Discogs.

Are they really that bad?

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I got Athens and Secret World and am fine with both. Are they the best sounding LP's or most meticulous pressings I have? No. But no major complaints, and I think they sound just fine.