All things Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Jun 30, 2020.

1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Sorry Sir. I will, by enjoying The Golden Age of Pudding :D
    It's the extra big one
    [​IMG]

rcsrich and JeffMo like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Aside from Games Without Frontiers and Solsbury Hill on the radio, that is the first Peter Gabriel song I ever heard, and I thought it was amazing.
    Side one of that album made me a fan for life, and the deeper I looked, the better it got.

ries, JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I now have all four and had a problem with just one (SW had to be exchanged but replacement sounds good). With DL codes provided these are also excellent value.

4. c-eling

Takes Jeff's SQ comments with a grain of salt, due to 'Senior' ears setting in :agree:

JeffMo likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Do you put your computer monitors next to the Legos and play complete gigs? :D

mark winstanley and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

:laugh:
    I want to see pictures!

JeffMo likes this.
  7. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Thanks! Some of the folks on Discogs can be a little overdramatic when it comes to this stuff.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I haven't redeemed those...are they any different than what I already have, sound-wise? (The digital Athens is pretty compressed, I might've ripped it from the blu-ray, I can't remember...I just have my old CD rip of Secret World)

c-eling likes this.
  9. I never made that connection before, but you're right. I've said it on this forum before, but (in my opinion) Up is a more 'approachable' album if you drop the first track ('Darkness') and start at the second track ('Growing Up'). :hide:

10. mark winstanley

I really did used to do that. I had a lego stage, and these weird little Martian-like things from Pizza Hut .... cardboard guitars and the whole deal :D

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

People on Hoffman have been critical too.

I will let @c-eling answer that one since he tracks all this digital stuff. With my ears and modest equipment the high res DL for all three self-titled, Security, Plays Live and Us sound better to me than my CDs do.

I did not notice an improvement in So or Up and didn't have CDs for SW (or the concert DVDs obviously). YMMV

c-eling likes this.
  12. c-eling

Live Athens is a repeat of the earlier mastering.
    The others, new remasters. I didn't purchase any of the other live stuff yet Jeff. For Plays Live I enjoy the old cd mastering so I'm going to skip that one. I still plan on getting Athens and Secret World.
    Probably just going to go the bandcamp route for these two. (pretty cheap)

JeffMo likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

It's cool that they released these on album, but I am happy with my blurays.... Peter's shows are well worth watching.

Edit: Now we just need some video released from the III and IV tours :)

wayneklein and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

Agree Mark! Would love to see some early performances on the format :)
    Really enjoy his Growing Up!

JeffMo and mark winstanley like this.
  15. I’m not sure what was shot for III if anything. It was probably recorded on videotape if there are any full shows.,

mark winstanley and c-eling like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Me too. I was actually completely unfamiliar with the new material when I bought that, and I reckon it's great.... I ended up buying those albums too, and I enjoyed them a lot. A lot of folks don't seem to like them, but I always seem to be an odd sock.

The opening of the Secret World concert with Talk To Me, is one of the most beautiful and moving stage things I have ever seen.... and so relatively simple. That whole show just captivates me.

17. I saw the show with Paula Cole performing in the role Sinead O’Connor had done on the European portion. She was awesome.

18. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have Plays Live and Secret World, main issue with SW is the mastering volume is rather low u gotta use your volume knob or adjust gain on your phono stage if using a MC cart. Other than that both are excellent, as are pretty much all his records on LP........I want to get Athens Live as I have read that one is also fantastic sounding.

I hope he is not done/retired, I've seen nothing online about such a claim. I'm hoping for at least one more new studio album, after that I suspect he'll continue doing movie soundtracks and scores and possibly producing for other artists, maybe writing too. Touring will be a shame if he retires from that, I'd love to see him in concert.

Should be well known, but PG~III~Melt both Collins and Marotta used no cymbals on the album tracks.

19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

We don't know each other but I officially hate you.....!! :agree: :righton:

20. mark winstanley

Sadly I never got to see Peter live, but I love the blurays

21. mark winstanley

I believe Peter has been working on his follow up album to Up, on and off, for 18 years now :)
    2 years for IV
    4 years for So
    6 years for Us
    10 years for Up..... So one assumes it is about done :)

JeffMo, wayneklein and Catcher10 like this.
  22. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Not one of Us from Leicester 24/2/80

Humdrum from Diplomat Hotel NYC 12/7/80

Ain’t That Peculiar Chicago 11/3/77

sleepjar and JeffMo like this.
  23. Hopefully when Covid changes perhaps that opportunity will present itself. I first saw him for the tour for his first or second album (with Robert Fripp hiding and playing under a nom de plume-my memory is a bit hazy on this as Time has dimmed it a bit) but my fav show has to be the 1982 tour for Security. Never saw a bad show in the six times I’ve seen him. I always try and catch each tour if possible). Even in his later shows where he didn’t climb on stuff or throw have the audience support him for “Lay Your Hands On Me” or having Tony and Dave wear wigs (which he pulled off at the conclusion of the second or third song) the weird headset with camera for the us tour, it’s always fun to see him. Probably my favorite live performer (although Bowie is a close second).

JeffMo, mark winstanley and Catcher10 like this.
  24. As ai recall for the L.A. show ai saw him back in 77 he did Ain’t That Peculiar as part of an encore (which I thought was an odd and inspired choice).

25. Indeed, this approach (suggested as I recall by producerSteve Lilywhite) along with the use of the gated drum sound inspired Phil to use that unconventional approach on the Hugh Padgham produced Face Value (and High also engineered III).