Good deals on Amazon.co.uk--updated regularly (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by superstar19, Oct 15, 2014.

1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome and glad to have been of assistance on this thread, probably for the last time.:sigh:

I tried ordering an item from Amazon UK today and was greeted with a £10+ "import fee deposit" surprise .

I thought the Johnson/UE deal meant business as usual/no customs duties, at least for inexpensive goods, but it seems I was wrong.

Actually some items are cheaper from Amazon.com, some months ago I ordered a 2LP album and paid just $8 for shipping and no additional taxes.

£10 to fill a customs form? Come on... :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

imarcq likes this.
  3. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Yes that was useful. I had NO idea that the £15 VAT exemption had been removed worldwide. I just tried to buy THE EXACT SAME $7 record from Deepdiscount which a few days ago didn't have VAT added as the total cost of the item plus shipping was under £15. Now they have automatically added it on! I just think this is HMRC being bloody lazy and trying to simplify VAT collection...and of course boost our government coffers!

[​IMG]

Almost Simon likes this.
  4. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

They add the import fees, but the VAT is deducted. I did some tests, and the final price of my order is the same +-5%.

shutdown66 likes this.
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

But, if I'm not mistaken, if your order exceeds €22, the customs guys enter the scene and you have to pay.

6. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Just like I will stop selling to UK customers.

culabula likes this.
  7. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Is no VAT still intact for USA buyers from UK and EU?

8. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

You do not have to pay for anything if you paid for Amazon Global Shipping (please check the terms of this kind of shipping where everything is explained - in short Amazon precalculates all taxes and import duties applicable in the destination country and pays them on our behalf. If the actual amount paid is less then amazon refunds us; if more then we are not charged in addition). I am doing this for years through US and JP amazon. I was once advised by a DHL broker to do it, so as to avoid the charging of these import taxes and duties in Greece plus these terrible DHL/UPS etc. handling fees.

PH416156 likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

myles and Almost Simon like this.
  10. Almost Simon

myles likes this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Our EU friends do realise that they will be paying VAT on ALL imports regardless of value come July, I believe the UK regs are just the UK implementing EU regulations early due to Brexit, or rather on time as the EU delayed it by six months due to Covid, don't blame us for EU legislation: 2021 UK and EU VAT changes | UK Seller Centre .

imarcq and Gavaxeman like this.
  12. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I agree. Amazon do seem to have pumped up the prices on vinyl the past 18 months or so. Very few deals.

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

BornToBoogie and myles like this.
  14. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Moderator Note:

Twelve posts have deen deleted and five members have been thread banned for engaging in political discussion regarding the rights and wrongs of Brexit.

I realise that Brexit has caused difficulties for members who are buying and selling items between the UK and EU states, so I will clarify what you can and cannnot discuss on the forum regarding this issue. I should note however, that I should not need to do this because our rules are very clear in not allowing political discussion of any kind so here we go.....

You are not allowed to discuss the following....

1. The rights or wrongs of Brexit.
    2. How you did or didn't vote.
    3. No criticising either the EU, UK or people of said regions, we are friends and this should always remain the case.
    4. No comments such this is what the UK voted for, or the EU is evil, undemocratic or any other comments, insults or criticisms that can be hurled at either side.

You can discuss the following.....

1. Changes to VAT, shipping costs and any other such charges that are now being added to and affecting your transactions.
    2. Any delays related to customs checks and other such administrative issues.

15. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

It's such a controversial issue, but not half as controversial as the amount of warped records Amazon seem to hold!

imarcq, Davidmk5, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  16. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It is not a complex business. If you are selling outside the EU, then you don't have to charge VAT. It becomes a little more complicated if you use a platform such as ebay or Amazon. Strictly speaking, ebay and Amazon have different companies set up in different markets, but they are effectively a spider's web of interconnections.

18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

PH416156 and hutlock like this.
  19. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

PH416156 and hutlock like this.
  20. Almost Simon

21. Almost Simon

superstar19 and imarcq like this.
  22. Almost Simon

23. imarcq

24. McWolfred

McWolfred The power of the riff compels you!

PH416156 and superstar19 like this.
  25. imarcq