Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. DLD

DLD Senior Member

I go to it, sort by Newest, and if nothing new pops up, same old Frozen, Willy Deville, Tanita, Johnny Marr, I'm gone

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

No rhyme or reason far as I can tell but then again, I just always have the page up and refresh it a few times day lol! I'm thinking we are due a new batch though!

samwisefan and latheofheaven like this.
  3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah there definitely isn’t any kind of set date or time frame but the big dumps to tend to come roughly once a quarter (ie four times a year). I’m guessing that is roughly how often they do inventory there and do a big purge of the stuff that is overstocked, going OOP or have new editions coming out, getting near the return deadline to the labels, etc.

So yeah, we should see a big purge around the end of the month I think? We shall see if my approximate timeline is accurate...

4. hutlock

This is a decent way to do it but the “Newest Added” refers to when it was added to DD and not specifically to the Bin itself, I think? So it could be that a release has been around a while but came out a few years back and then you won’t see it in the first couple of pages...

I usually sort for vinyl only, then go highest price to lowest and do the listings for 250 a page. That way there are only 4-5 pages to flip through as opposed to having to reload every 25 items... that adds a lot of time. only takes me like 20 minutes to go through all of the LPs once a week.

CD bin is a whole different matter entirely. Lol.

jason202, DLD, samwisefan and 2 others like this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

How is the cd bin different?

6. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Fair point. Also, # of titles is an indication. Blowout Bin Vinyl has been hovering in the 850-900 range for a few months. I'm waiting for the day it's at 1,400 or something materially higher than what it's been at recently. That'll get me sifting thru the inventory again

7. hutlock

Well roughly 10x more titles is one thing. It’s painful to go through the whole thing at all because the number of titles available is more than how many it will even let you look at — so if you sort low to high, you get about half the bin. Then you can sort from high to low to see the other half. But even then there might be a bunch stuck right in the middle that you can’t get to.

Also the CD bin is positively packed with foreign titles. Tons of Asian and EU titles by folks that I’ve never even heard of.

One of the best ways to look is by Genre because you can filter out a lot of that stuff to a degree, but even still you are apt to find a handful of things filed under genres that are not even close to reality.

So basically a lot more titles, making for a lot more variables, making it a lot more unwieldy to go through.

8. U2Achtung1

U2Achtung1 Forum Resident

I remember finding a bunch of discounted vinyl in the Blowout Bin in like April or May. Egypt Station by Paul McCartney, Wandering Spirit by Mick Jagger, Everyday Life by Coldplay, Carole King's greatest hits, etc which all sold out or raised in price.

Since summer though it hasn't seemed to have been updated.

9. hutlock

There was one (maybe two?) large dumps later in the year as well, but that one was definitely the biggest and had the most popular titles.

10. Juggsnelson

There were a couple of large additions since then. A ton of Music on Vinyl additions (many of which are still there), a bunch of the Steve Miller reissues, Todd Rundgren, etc....

11. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

Thanks for the answers to my question. I'm happy to have found this forum. It's always nice to find like-minded people who love collecting music as much as I do...and who love a bargain as much as I do. :)

12. Gabes

Gabes Member

Just received another DD package in Canada and was once again dinged with taxes and “handling” by RR Donnelley Logistics. I guess I can pore over the DD fine print but from what I’ve seen there’s nothing that states CAD orders can be hit by charges like this (to be clear this is a charge from RR, not duties).

13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Got a shipping notice for UFO : (Deluxe Edition) Strangers In The Night. :goodie: (ordered 9/23/20)

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So what Donnelly Logistics does is handles the customs clearance instead of letting it sit in a Customs lineup. They pre-pay the duties and taxes, similar to what any other courier company would do, so it doesn't sit in Customs hell for weeks (as is typical when USPS hands off to the CBSA for Canada Post to collect and deliver after clearance). The item is either mailed to them through USPS or they pick it up from a warehouse in the US, then they drive it across in a freight manifest and take it to their Canadian warehouse. They'll then slap a new domestic shipping label on it and give it to the Canadian post to deliver to you. They are not a government service, they are a reshipper contracted by the sender to expedite clearance.

The amount you are being asked to pay is probably the duty and/or tax associated with bringing your package across the border. Those fees aren't negotiable, anything over $20 (or $80, depending on how they're doing it) is eligible for tax and sometimes duty. Most couriers will tack on a handling fee as well.

It sucks, but thank the Canadian government.

15. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I have had a lot of orders shipped into Canada by DD. There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to whether it is shipped through Donnelly or through USPS. It is not based on price of the order it just seems to be random in my experience. If it goes through Donnelly there is always a handling fee and HST (value added tax as a percentage of price on shipment varying by province). and if applicable duty as well. If it goes through USPS it takes a lot longer to get to me, but there is no handiling charge and rarely HST or duty. I think I would prefer to wait and avoid the extra charges!

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, if you ship to Canada, never, ever, ship by UPS/Fedex. Only ship via USPS. If you ship USPS, once it is delivered, it's delivered. If there are import duties, either the post office collects those at the time of delivery, or else they don't get collected. All done. If UPS/Fedex delivers, then they'll ask the recipient to pay, but won't force them to. If they don't (and they usually don't) then the shipper is on the hook for the fees--and they will come at you for them: Surprise!

17. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

And UPS, FedX Donnelly etc will also charge additional fees for administration, handling etc. that are often more than the duty and taxes

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I probably told this story before. But, hey, it's appropriate for this discussion. I sold a DVD player to a guy in Canada when I was younger and naive. I shipped it via FedEx, and the guy didn't pay the import duties, so FedEx came after me for those. I contacted the guy and told him that he owed the import duties to FedEx, and he blew me off. I managed to talk FedEx out of it, but it was a one-time thing they did as a courtesy. But I learned my lesson.

The best part of this story is this: several months after the guy got the DVD player, it apparently went bad. Now, it would have been covered under warranty which was a year, and he wanted a proof of purchase from me. so he reaches out to me and asks if I can give him a copy of the purchase receipt. I'll let you guess whether I gave it to him.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    mrjinks, jamesc, parkmebike and 8 others like this.
  19. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

This is off-topic, so if it's not allowed just ignore/delete...

Polyvinyl Records is having a big sale right now where lots of stuff is 70% off. They have a pretty small roster of artists, but if you happen to like a band that's on their label you may be in luck. (Let's just say, if you're an of Montreal fan you'll be very happy.) As for me, I listened to some samples and ended up buying stuff from 5 artists I'd never heard of before. At that price it's fun to experiment. :)

Polyvinyl Records - Artists, News, Music - Shop Vinyl, Merch, Music and More

Oh, and they only charge $4.00 flat for shipping, no matter how many items. And they didn't charge me sales tax either.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Warning: The Percy Sledge collection on the front page is latter day re-recordings. Only costs $4 though, and worth that.

And a recommendation: The Alarm EP (Where Two Rivers Meet) on page 2 includes a ten-minute song that's one of the modern Alarm's best tracks, and it's only on that record.

And the wonderful dB's EP is still there.

21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

So I decided to spin the only of Montreal I own, "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?" and proceeded to load up a cart of 17 items (5 on vinyl, 12 on CD). $65.10 out the door. There are discount codes that stack if you spend $50, $75 or $100. Of course I used the $75 one. Good times!

samwisefan, latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  22. Jesse O Taylor

Jesse O Taylor Forum Resident

Polyvinyl is a great label with some bands that I truly love, but they've had sales like this literally every few weeks for the past couple years.

At this point, their sale prices are basically the normal retail market prices.

23. hutlock

It’s totally allowed but you should start a new thread for it here in the Same section too so folks who don’t look in here can check it out! Thanks for the tip!

samwisefan, latheofheaven and SJP like this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Wow....some great deals here! I had never heard of of Montreal but loved the clips I played down. Great sale prices combined with free shipping for over $50 plus more money off using the coupon codes they show you at the checkout stage made placing an order a no brainer!!!! Thanks for posting this!!! Now I wonder if there are other artists I would like on the label......

25. Juggsnelson

Which of their bands do you recommend? I'm pretty much a rock/pop kind of guy. Really loved the of Montreal samples I played down. The sale prices combined with the coupons and the free shipping almost felt like stealing lol!

samwisefan, SJP and latheofheaven like this.