Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

New update today. 7" and 10" adaptors are in the works. Looks like many prefer 7" adaptor according to them. Since the adaptor draft design is simple, they should provide both in my opinion.

2. Go Mifune

Go Mifune Go speed racer, go!

It wasn't clear to me - are they going to make those if they raise enough more money and then everyone gets them, or is there going to be an option to purchase them as an add-on?

3. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

Here's the link of the update Update 4: Announcement: Revised Stretch Goals Plan · HumminGuru | All-in-One Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner .

I find the strategy is quite absurd on the 'stretch goals' just for the adaptors. Looks like a simple piece of equipment to develop and not high tech to warrants such stretch goal funding.

4. Go Mifune

Go Mifune Go speed racer, go!

I read that before, but I'm not clear what "stretch goals" are. Best I can tell, it seems that they just keep selling more of the actual units but if they sell enough of them they will add those adapters to the package? Is the idea to encourage those who have bought them to talk them up to others to buy more so that the stretch goals are met and you get more for your money? I'll admit, I'm under-experienced in kickstarter so not clear on any of it.

5. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

This is my first Kickstarter as well and I have the same understanding as yours.

Go Mifune likes this.
  6. hagtech

hagtech Jim Hagerman

Reading some of the early posts, the assumption is that the record sits in a water bath. I have a feeling that is not what is being done here, there is so little water available. I'm guessing it uses a nozzle spray that is modulated via ultrasound. Gravity pulls water down, pumps through nozzle, then gravity to drain. It's rather clever, if I am correct. I believe this is similar to an ultrasonic humidifier? Also, the information for ultrasonic cleaning in a bath likely may not apply? I sure hope they did their homework before launching...

Heckto35 likes this.
  7. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

This information is pretty specific showing two transducers on either side of the record - HumminGuru | All-in-One Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaner by Happywell — Kickstarter. Its not a lot of water, so the transducers cannot be very powerful and this is indicative of what appears to be a compact desk-top style VAC/VDC power supply similar to what you would get with a small laptop.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  8. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident Thread Starter

If the goals aren’t achieved for the 7” and 10” adapters, I’d assume they would still manufacture them and make them available to purchase instead of including them with the unit for no extra fee. Or I could be wrong. Digritter makes the same adapters for their unit. $80 each.

Go Mifune likes this.
  9. harby

harby Forum Resident

Clearly the engineering to make a little adapter a record can snap into will require the additional $120000 they set that goal at.

Go Mifune likes this.
  10. Joe Spivey

Yes but at the stretch goals they will be giving every backer those adapters free. However, those stretch goals are going to be difficult to reach at the current pace.

Go Mifune likes this.
  11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I found it today, looks promising, following!

My only concern, 40 Khz is enough? I'm no deep into ultrasonics DIY machines but I hear some saying that 60 or even 80 is better.

12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Better in what way? The higher the hz, the smaller the bubble, but also less power.

Andrea_Bellucci and stenway like this.
  13. Joe Spivey

Closing in on the first stretch goal for the 7" adaptor. About ~$30K away but reachable I think.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Whats written in there is what I said, higher hz means smaller bubbles that are more gentle. This can be disadvantageous as well though.

Heckto35 and Andrea_Bellucci like this.
  16. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

For the more expensive ultrasonic RCM like Audiodesk, KL Audio, Degritter etc, I've been wondering as well at what frequency the transducer runs at?

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Audiodesk=proprietary
    KLAudio= 40kHz
    Degritter=120kHz

18. maellen

maellen Nasi Lemak

great! thanks.

5-String likes this.
  19. ImpossibleStation

ImpossibleStation Active Member

I’m in as well.

20. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

It's a simple concept but to manufacture a tested and durable product in bulk, it's more complicated. Not sure if they're going with steel or injection molded ABS plastic. Either way, they'd need a machinist to create the cutting or mold die (custom mold would be way more expensive), then get in line for a test run, approve (or reject, redesign, re-test) and get in line again for them to have the bulk order manufactured.

Curious as to how they're going to solve affixing 7" 10" to these "hollow super frisbee" discs with the tabs and not risk damaging records. It would definitely be better to solve with a single design on top of the unit that would secure a non-12" at the proper height. Accommodate for both the 7 10 sizes in the single design.

21. Joe Spivey

Good questions. Here is what they say about the manufacturing plant they own.

The Company Happy Well​

The project of Humminguru is supported by Happy Well International Enterprise Ltd. A well-established and vertically integrated company that has been engaged in the entire value chain from product research & development, production, to marketing and global sale of toy and infant products under the brand name Happy Well for two decades. The company is extending a sub-brand as Happy Well Tech that aims to develop innovative products that solve real consumer problems in the technology industry. Humminguru is our first launch.

Our Own Factory

Happy Well owns and operates the factory in Zhuhai China that is established in 1988. With a total area of 45,000㎡ manufacturing plants, a team of over 1,000 employees, and the capability of processing 20+ product lines with well-equipped facilities, our ability to meet production deadlines and high product quality is assured.

Also stating, "We will surely make every effort to build multiple production-level testing prototypes and rigorous testing."
    The Degritter US machine also uses the 7" and 10" disc. I'm curious how well they work as well. I haven't many reviews of users using them so not sure how they're working out. I believe the "tabs" are rubber to possibly reduce damaging records...

AKA Bubbleup likes this.
  22. AKA Bubbleup

AKA Bubbleup Forum Resident

Thanks for the additional info. The facility appears to be well outfitted to handle the run from concept to completion. No much doubt that they'll be able to meet a production deadline but I do hope the timeline for the run (both the cleaner and accessories) is in line with buyer's expectations.

23. Joe Spivey

Well that is a basic concern for all kickstarter campaigns. There is no production timeline guarantees due to the nature and risks involved. I believe they are stating they could possibly start delivering units in July. If they do indeed reach this date, I’d be very impressed.

AKA Bubbleup likes this.
  24. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

Looks like they made their first stretch goal (7" insert). 16 days left to invest.

25. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

i'm curious to buy one of these to have in addition to the degritter, perhaps to use as a final step to clean of any detergent residue. The fact that the water is one use then drain would lend it to this.

sam snead and Rob6899 like this.