All things Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

My wife calls PG the weird guy with the great voice, we have not seen him live only on YT.......We've seen Steven Wilson probably 5x and she still calls him the "barefoot guy".. :laugh:

gabbleratchet7 and wayneklein like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Mark, if a future opportunity presents itself do not miss out. His shows are an audio/video immersion as you know from Blu-ray. The songs themselves are far more powerful and emotional in live arrangements, similar to U2 in that regard.

wayneklein and mark winstanley like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

wait, no charts and graphs? Lazy git....:D

I thought you would weigh in on resolutions. Going from memory the first five including PL are 96/24.

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:laugh:
    For the live stuff, probably all up-sampled :D

5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    I've given up hope on any new album. From what I hear, he would rather chat with anyone about than finish a song. All good to him. He doesn't need to anything else really.

JeffMo likes this.
  6. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

Yeah, agreed. I'd love to be surprised, but at this point, I think we've heard the last new material from him--at least until they start digging out archival stuff.

An odd fact for me is that I may well have passed on seeing him live the last time I could. I'd seen him every chance I had starting with the Secret World Tour. Saw Growing Up, Still Growing Up, New Blood, and Back to Front. By the time he toured with Sting--itself a double billing I would have LOVED back in the early 90's--I decided I didn't need to hear him do the same hits again, and figured the nature of the tour would truly mean the most common songs would be played, so I passed. Not sure I'll have another chance to see him at this point.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Well the show with Sting was stunning. Each one sang some the other’s songs, they shared band members for various tunes, and three world class drummers on Rhythm of the Heat reverberating around the hockey arena to open.

There wasn’t a dry eye in the house for a new PG song dedicated to the slain MP. Very emotional.

I’m still waiting for a blu Ray from that tour!

BradB and Dreaddazzman like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What??
    I can’t hear you! :D

9. Was the song "Why Don't We?" only played in his stop in Cleveland on his first tour? It was a wonderfully crafted tune that deserves legal release!

10. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

I was there. Didn't know about the plane ticket.

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Did you just post something?
    [​IMG]

12. The live shows back then used to feature him using a palm held laser reflector. I was third row at SDSU in Aug 1983, and it was a wonderful show.

proedros and JeffMo like this.
  13. Not plane ticket, it was a plan ticket :D

14. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

I was there.

MicSmith likes this.
  15. Did she have the "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"? :hide: (early 1990s "Fartman"? reference)

16. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

My fun little trivia:

-Waiting in line outside the Diplomat Hotel, NYC, during the Melt tour, PG arrived in a cab and didn't have enough money to pay the fare (he kept digging into his pockets and talking to the driver). Some fans near the cab went over to chip in and pay it.

-During Lay Your Hands On Me on the Security tour, PG crowd surfed and decided to get down and stand on my seat. He stood there for about 20 seconds and then jumped down to make his way back to the stage.

17. I like Sting but I think PG is the superior artist myself.

MicSmith and JeffMo like this.
  18. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Wow! How big was the crowd for this show? I always imagine it to be an intimate gig.

sleepjar likes this.
  19. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Great anecdotes!

sleepjar likes this.
  20. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Not an encore but part of his main set. His encore back then was Back in NYC. Basically he only had about 12 songs of his own written for that tour so he added 2 cover versions and did two versions of Here Comes the Flood and just the 1 Genesis song to make up a 16 song set. Plus there was the obligatory drum solo of course!

wayneklein likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I want them all!:laugh:
    Concert Stages - Musical Brick

JeffMo likes this.
  22. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

It was in the “grand ballroom” of the hotel - no seats - if memory serves there were booths with seats scattered around the perimeter. If I had to guess the capacity I’d say maybe 2000? I’m a poor judge of these things.
    PS - when the concert started PG and band entered from the same doors as we had, each carrying a searchlight, working their way up to the stage from the back of the crowd, except for Jerry Marotta who was on stage playing the beat to Intruder.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    MicSmith likes this.
  23. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

I'd heard that tour was good after the fact. Ah well. At the time, I was burnt out from bad experiences from unpleasant audience members and setlists that catered to the most casual fans. Plus, while I was fairly big fan of Sting at one point, he's never particularly connected with me live--I saw him in 2000, and on the Police reunion tour. It was enough to make me pass. If Back to Front was the last I see him, it was a good note to go out on.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

25. Yeah I left for the bathroom during the drum solo. Your memory is better than mine about this. I used to have a soundboard recording of the L.A. show I attended. Don’t know what happened to that. As I recall, it was put out by someone as a CD as well. Don’t know if ai still have that show (I think that was the L.A. show as well). I really need to find and rip that.

MicSmith likes this.