Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The CDC and Chris just have different definitions of acceptable risk. Shoulder shrug emoji.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Yeah, I only mentioned it as he said the odds are low and the CDC says otherwise. Obviously I don’t know Chris outside this forum and maybe he’s under 30 and the picture of good health so perhaps his risk of being severely affected should he contract COVID is low. Now if he were over 60 and obese I’d certainly not want to risk my life to see the steaming turd that is Wonder Woman 84 in a movie theater!

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s the thing. Maybe I risk my health to see a good movie in a movie theatre. But risk my health to see Wonder Woman 1984, or any other comic book movie? Are you kidding?

sunspot42, MekkaGodzilla and Shawn like this.
  4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

JediJones and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I suspect infections that can be traced to restaurants and bars are relatively low because people simply aren’t going to restaurants and bars like they used to. In that sense, it’s a tautology. The lockdowns and people voluntarily cutting back on going out to large gatherings in public are having the desired effect. My wife and I haven’t been out to eat or been to see a movie in a theatre since last March. Neither one of us has gotten Covid. I’m sure we could have gotten Covid from any number of sources, but we didn’t. If we had been dining in restaurants and going to the movies every week since March, I’m betting our chances of getting it would have been much higher.

Again, why would I go see a mediocre movie like Wonder Woman 1984 in a public movie theatre in a room full of strangers, for whom I have no idea how careful they’ve been with regard to Covid, when I can watch it at home on HBO Max for less money? I don’t have a death wish or a desire to become a Covid long hauler. I may take a risk to go to a wedding or to a small family Christmas gathering, but not to see a crappy Hollywood movie in public.

Shawn likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Maybe there isn't much left to say on WW84, but can we try to stay on topic? This isn't a Covid thread.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Here's a dirty little secret - it's impossible to trace the exact source of an infection if the individuals being infected are consistently engaging in risky behavior. Did they get it flying to a Thanksgiving gathering with their relatives, shopping at WalMart, at the movie theater, at the 3 bars and 2 nightclubs they visited last month, or at the 12 restaurants they ate at? Or did their kids bring it home from school?

:shrug:

wayneklein, Shawn and Spencer R like this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's funny, because more than any other major film WW84 was negatively-impacted by COVID. If it hadn't been for COVID this thing would have soared past $100 million before bad reviews and bad word of mouth sank it.

Shawn and Spencer R like this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That Wonder Woman 1984 premiered on HBO Max on the same day it debuted in theatres, because of Covid, and that posters in this thread are arguing that we ought to ignore Covid go see Wonder Woman 1984 in the theatre, because movie theatres that can’t get the sound right in their theatres have all magically installed state of the art air filtration systems, makes Covid relevant to the topic at hand.

Shawn likes this.
  11. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Will give it another chance, but I tried watching WW84 a few nights ago and really zoned out on it after 20 minutes and wound up watching an older movie instead.

Just seemed kind of 'blah' more than anything...certainly not worth risking getting covid over seeing it in a theatre!

Shawn likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

or touching something at the grocery store....yeah good luck pinpointing a source

wayneklein and Shawn like this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

If you don't believe the contact tracing, then what do you believe? I don't really care about movie theaters that much but it's this willful ignoring of data that is resulting in an entire lost year for school-age kids. I'm not sure why people want to ignore research so badly.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The actual request was: "please find a news report of a movie theater being the center of an outbreak."

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I believe in the idea of contact tracing, yet I also believe that the pandemic is so widespread and out of control that contact tracers don’t have the numbers and resources to do their job well or accurately.

Deuce66 likes this.
  16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I still was very disappointed in WW84 and what it could have been.

17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I have never read any of the WW comic books but weren’t there decades of it written? Never was a DC fan but am sure there were some story lines adaptable to the big screen. What made Marvel films worked because they were basically true to the original books written by good writers.

18. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

This line of thinking disqualifies any kind of science-based research or policy beyond "Stay inside until 100% of people are vaccinated."

In the words of Daryl Hall, I can't go for that (no).

enro99 likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

No, it doesn’t. If there were more contact tracers, or the pandemic hadn’t been allowed to spiral out of control for months on end, contact tracing would be more accurate. The contact tracers are underfunded, understaffed, and overwhelmed.

Mazzy and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, the movie would suck in IMAX, in a big theater, in a small theater, on a big TV set, or on a small TV set. It's a sucky movie. It's got major issues with story and character, plus it's a half hour too long. 60% on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics -- I'd give it a 45 at best.

I think they also benefitted from Kevin Feige having good taste and good instincts and -- in general -- hiring good directors, writers, and actors who could pull off decent job. I think there's a "light touch" with most of the Marvel films that works very well, but clearly they can turn on a dime and get into real dark end-of-the-world stuff, as they did with Avengers: Endgame. I think you could write a pretty good MBA paper on why the Marvel films are generally much more successful than the DC/Warner Bros. films, and "tone" is a big part of that. They also have a real affection for the material, and I don't get that with most of the Warner Bros. movies. I think the first Wonder Woman movie came close, but the second one missed the mark by a mile.

BTW, Howard Stern went off on the new Wonder Woman yesterday, and one of his interesting questions was, "hey, why didn't Wonder Woman end World War II? Why didn't she get us out of Vietnam? Why didn't she get rid of Nixon?" It's never easy when you have an extremely-powerful superhero with almost no limits on their "magic" powers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    sunspot42 likes this.
  21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Jon Favreau. I feel between the Marvel flicks I’ve seen and the Mandalorian series, he has pretty much perfect pitch on the “tone” you speak of, which speaks to a wider (and more discerning) audience and also very much has an affection for (as you also said) and a deep understanding of the tone of the source material and how the existing fans feel about it. Then he makes it modern while staying true to these things and not messing up the production or allowing the scripts to become messed up. He’s very gifted.

aroney, Vidiot, sunspot42 and 2 others like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

DVD availability?

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Spencer basically answered for me, at this point Covid is too widespread for contact tracing to be of any use and far too many people are undisciplined in their actions.

Veronica Mars and sunspot42 like this.
  24. Yeah. Every single day the death toll in America increases. Until it goes down or almost disappears, my 60” Panny is just fine.

but I absolutely miss the big screen. Sacrifices are necessary now imho

25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

If you want a movie theater to go back to on that faraway day when COVID disappears completely, at least go buy a gift card or something.