Ethernet Cables in for evaluation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I don't like people being shouted down because their ideas are different, so yes I feel the need to speak up. I can take the abuse. I consider myself objective and have no skin in this game, happy to blow the cash on something more exciting. I have been on this forum for a long while, please feel free to peruse old posts, I'm not prone to hyperbole or bragging. I am altruistic in my motives for 19 years on this forums, from helping with design, setup, trouble shooting, best pressings etc. It truly does bug me that you have come to such awful conclusions based on my stereo system and what I described hearing. Anyone who provided technical expertise or insight without insult was treated respectfully and considered thoughtfully.

2. jeff kleinberg

NO! Power supply noise, not bits. Get the hypothesis straight.

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Actually, I took a moment and did look at your posts --- see my post above.

Over and out. Enjoy the[​IMG]

4. Wattie66

Wattie66 Well-Known Member

I would accept that it is important to ensure that whatever environmental noise that might exist in a particular location is minimised such that it does not cause data corruptions during transmission, (hence using the correct cable type for different environments, and ensuring cable terminations and connections are robust), but success or failure of this is still easily observable in that if not adequately suppressed it will be manifested in poor data transmission integrity i.e. excessive data loss leading to data corruptions. If it is being suggested that this environmental noise is somehow 'bleeding' into the sound reproduction system then that is a failure in the DAC components as it should be easy to filter out at least to the level required i.e. to ensure the 'interference' does not corrupt the transmitted data. It is why we test critical cable runs for packet loss, something which as I say is straightforward to do with the correct tools, and is a binary result - either it's working correctly or it isn't.

Jinjuku, chilinvilin, subzro and 3 others like this.
  5. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

happy Xmas - health and happiness to all

It seems to me that audiophile oriented product market always works the same. There is always a technical narrative, started by a hypothesis that a certain phenomenon can affect sound quality. Then a solution is built based on the knowledge around the technical narrative. Of course, that can get very complicated, with even some very technically competent individuals designing/creating the solution. Of course the resulting product will be over-engineered for the intended purpose. Put that together with a small market and we end up with a very expensive product.

BUT - is it (was it ever) really a problem? :D he he - it seems to me that is not tested... so we get these beautiful, expensive products based on an unproven hypothesis...

For Ethernet, given that "bits are bits" is obvious and pretty much non-debatable, the technical narrative instead is about the bogeyman of electrical noise. Simple as that.

Gosh, well, it is not my intention to try to save anyone from themselves (I used to think like that). I mean, by G*d, you do you! :D
    If you have the money and can afford it without ill effects, knock yourself out.

I just hope you read this and decide to spend those $10K in records/recordings/supporting the artists instead of a 1m Nordost or Audioquest Ethernet cable

v

6. jeff kleinberg

To be clear I auditioned cables costing 75$ 500$ and 1000$, not 10k. Also if you really care about artists, don’t support streaming, they get ripped off. Support shows on Bandcamp and other sites where the artists actually get paid. I buy plenty of vinyl as well. Definitely a good cause. My digital has never been more satisfying, appreciate the comments.

Encore, Victor Martell and MGW like this.
  7. Wattie66

Wattie66 Well-Known Member

100% agree with you there Jeff :thumbsup:

jeff kleinberg likes this.
  8. Victor Martell

True dat about the streaming no love from me here- indeed, Bandcamp and similar, and Vinyl better for the artist, agree - that is another can of worms, though! :D

Sure there is always a happy medium - indeed $75 and around even $150 would be an upper limit of ME wasting money on something that I know it doesn't make a difference; maybe just for the satisfaction of owning something nice, plus the hope of a better build - which I believe is the only reason to pay more for a cable: a good build that won't break just because of gravity... but like I said, to each its own... maybe I am just rationalizing my brokenness! hahaha :D

And BTW I have an anecdote which is true - OBVIOUSLY this is a sample size of one, so it really means nothing - believe me I understand.

BUT

Two times I have "treated" myself to an Audioquest cable in the hopes of superior build - the cheapest level, color green, can't remember what they call the model. I am not lying really, but, well, both cables broke down. My preferred choice, Monoprice? have never had one breaking down.

Again, sample of one, just my experience..
    v

9. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I thought this thread didn't exist anymore.

At $150 for an Ethernet cable you couldn't be that broke, it could be worse, like a $10 Amazon cheapie.

I have just finally got around to listen to a good streamer and one lower end audiophile cable and I must say that to me it made some difference but again just another opinion of someone who have tried. I am sure the plastic lock of the connector can break like any other but visually it looks a lot better made, particularly the contacts and it wasn't even $150.
    PD: To the Spanish inquisition, don't even bother with accusations of witchcraft, I am not interested.

MGW and jeff kleinberg like this.
  10. Jinjuku

Jinjuku Well-Known Member

I still feel that you are either missing the forest for the trees or you are being disingenuous. I would like to believe it's the former.

The only thing you've been able to bring to bear as a form of empirical evidence is from a process that you seem to eschew. That being ASR measurements of a a high KVA isolation device showing a reduction of noise where an Ethernet cable was wrapped around a power cable of a soldering iron.

So I've asked in the past and I'll ask again:

1. How does wrapping an Ethernet cable around a power cord and seeing some in-audible variation support your argument that different (boutique) Ethernet cables can make a difference? The argument you are trying to make is that a boutique cable wrapped around same said power cable wouldn't(?) exhibit this behavior

2. Do you expect, under any circumstance, that DAC's should maintain in spec output when the inputs and downstream aren't maintained to spec, i.e. you wrap Ethernet cabling around a power cable.

11. jeff kleinberg

In my book, if you tried one then what you experienced is the most import thing. Like I posted earlier, I requested a return authorization from Amazon the day the 500$ Vodka arrived to ensure an easy return, cause I was with you on the price issue. Ultimately is was worth it for me, like a RL is worth it over the recent 2 lp set.

12. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

This has to be some of the finest trolling on SHF I have ever seen here.

13. Victor Martell

It is a revelatory post... I did not know the Audioquest cables had a DSP Processor ! Wonder if every Audioquest cable has one? Hope is Analog Devices! :D

(yes that was a bit trollish... but well, some of the language used suggest things that can only happen if that signal is further processed - makes no sense) :D

v

Rob6899 likes this.
  14. jeff kleinberg

Brad, curious to hear your thoughts on this. Seems legit to me. Talking about how high impedance source currents can impair ADC function by getting to ground, I believe the DAC comparison should hold as well. Comes down to phase coherence errors as we spoke of before.
    Why high impedance source in ADC input causes error?

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Hey you are talking about a published audio reviewer (The Absolute Sound); careful there...

16. James Bennett

Am I? No clue; he’s still wrong.

17. jeff kleinberg

remind me which cables you compared? Thanks

Uglyversal likes this.
  18. James Bennett

there are no Ethernet cables in my system; only wifi. Am I missing some beautiful air around the cymbals or openness to the soundstage on my digital files without it being hard wired with a flavourful Ethernet cable?

19. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I had a bank account with $10,001 in it. I switched cables, and now I have $11,000! Thank You to everyone who insisted that there were differences.

20. jeff kleinberg

I have no idea, I haven't listened to your system, sorry. See how easy that is.

21. Victor Martell

But isn't it the point that there is no need? The argument is that Ethernet cables won't affect the sound - why go back there - for or against, let's not make it a circular argument! :D

Not sure why one has to be careful - TAS has never earned my respect...

I read it and subscribe, yes because, 1) Habit! 2) I like to look at the pictures 3) it's cheap 4) I like to know exactly how the outrageous claims are made and supported, and MOST IMPORTANTLY: 5) It's really, really, really funny - my wife knows if she hears hysterical laughter coming from the bathroom I am reading a cable review on TAS! :D

(man, I am trolling today... at least I admit it! :D - BTW, that doesn't mean I'm wrong! :D )

v

Wngnt90 likes this.
  22. TheVinylAddict

Not if you have audiophile wifi! :):biglaugh:

Seriously, wifi typically can be traced back to an ethernet cable at it's source (into the modem, switch, etc)....... unless of course your device is being fed by a mesh AP/ router..... but even then, the mesh AP/router is ultimately communicating through a router / wifi source that is ultimately wired via ethernet cable....
    LOL, it's Page 65, it's been circular for 64 of them.... way too late for that!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Victor Martell likes this.
  23. James Bennett

It’s totally possible that the digital information on its way to my ears has travelled thousands of miles or kilometres, through countless sets of ethernet cables, possibly underwater. I wonder if there is underwater audiophile Ethernet cable.

chilinvilin and Wngnt90 like this.
  24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Talking about trying, have you or have you read here or somewhere else whether a 1m run vs a 3m run of the same cable makes any noticeable difference? Sorry, I can't be bothered trying to wade through all the noise in this thread to find that info.
    Also, the other option I have is to move the switch from where it is under the house to near the equipment and eliminate the ordinary cable run that goes from the switch to the connection box I have behind the stereo. That will allow me to buy a shorter, good cable, to make the connection directly from the switch to the streamer. Do you have any comment or suggestion in that regard for me to consider before going ahead?

25. TheVinylAddict

I do! :)

Just get an ethernet cable capable of successfully transmitting 1's and 0's from one end to the other in the same order.

No charge for the tip!

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.