Ethernet Cables in for evaluation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Thank you for the free tip but under the same token I could have bought a Sonos or whatever the google and Amazon speakers are called instead of my streamer. They will still get some noise coming out of them too at a much lower cost and I could even avoid the cable completely. The thing is I am aspiring for more than just that.

2. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

I think moving the switch and a short cable is probably best. The key is the power supply for the switch and keeping it away from your system. If you can then I think that’s the best. I have noted improvement in the upstream cables as well when I swapped in the low end audioquests.

3. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Can't possibly answer this without some insight into your indoor air quality at home. Particulates can make audio over wifi sound veiled and two dimensional.

unsane69, SMDEE and Al Gator like this.
  4. Uglyversal

A) I should try it -easier said than done- I could save some money on the cable run connected to the streamer.

B) The rest of the cable is in my mind particularly since I am using really cheap cable to feed the switch I am using. But I worry that even a lower end, good cable, might start adding up as I have many meters to cover. which AQ are you using for upstream?

5. jeff kleinberg

Cinnamon. I tried Pangea to ,didn’t notice a difference. If you have a lot it might not be worth then. Try and see. Maybe all blue jeans and a different one at the end.

Uglyversal likes this.
  6. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

What about the RG6 coax cable running into the house and to the cable modem?
    Thr ethernet cable from the modem to the router?
    The ethernet cable from the router to the switch?
    How about all the ports in the above devices?

7. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Hi Jeff! :)

I have not read this thread but in a previous cable thread where I felt we had fairly opposing viewpoints, we shared some great pms. Opened my mind, now I just need to hear some higher end gear! Peace out.✌️

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  8. jeff kleinberg

IIRC you have one heck of system Pete! Have you tried one of these fancy Ethernet cables? They actually have significant impact on my streaming sound. I’ll truly never go back. Be well

jeff

Ilusndweller likes this.
  9. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Hi Jeff! I dont yet stream, but do plan to. Every once in a while I will hook my ipad mini up to my stereo with a y cable but that is the extent of my streaming. I have had an Amazon Acct (Amazon Music) and Airport Express (given to me) for years but have not tried "non y cable" streaming yet. Thanks on my system(Carver Amazing Silver MK4/Innersound 750W monos), I do love it and I would also love to hear your setups!

My most general thoughts on cables? I have done a lot of interconnect comparisons and can tell copper from silver in interconnects(I prefer copper). I have never been able to hear any differences in copper interconnects (from el cheapo to Audiotruths mid 90s TOTL and single crystal Harmonic Technology Truthlink 2) or speaker cables (from $7 18 AWG purchased at Wally World to ??? Tara Labs Time & Space Quantum IV). I think one needs to have darn good ears and a darn good system to hear differences. In the vast majority of ear/system combos, I dont even think differences can be heard. But who knows?

The only person who knows is YOU. I have spent countless hours trying and sooooo wanting to hear differences. But did not. I thought I did, until I did "blind A/B" testing. Having said that, I am fully open to the idea that differences can be heard in cables. My current system which has only been set up for about 4 months "next, next leveled" my previous system and I suspect here are systems out there that would completely blow me away...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    jeff kleinberg likes this.
  10. Uglyversal

Well, I have not bought the main cable yet but based on your comment of the upstream cable plus my recent experiences with the main cable I went ahead and bought a non audiophile, but good quality CAT8. It can't possibly be any worse than the cable I am currently using to feed the last switch before the stereo so I am hopping for some improvement. I am also eager to have an idea of how it behaves before making a decision on the main which I am missing since I've returned the borrowed ones.

jeff kleinberg likes this.
  11. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

why not?

12. Uglyversal

Simple, it's pretty old, cheaply made CAT5 vs this CAT8 which looks pretty decent instead and costs several times what the other costed me.

13. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Hmmm... Comparing sound quality of ethernet cables vs. speakers seem just a tiny bit like a false equivalence... :shake:

MattHooper and Brother_Rael like this.
  14. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

ironclad!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. Uglyversal

Yes, specially when you don't ignore the other information provided to you. You might think you look clever doing that but sorry, you don't.

16. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Sounds legit, exactly what the nice salesman says too so must be true! I wonder if these cables come with a 5 year coating protection insurance too to make sure the colour doesn't fade.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Wait till CAT10 comes along. The justification and clamour for a cable that'll have galactic data throughput standards for music that CAT5e is already more than sufficient to handle...

jimbutsu, Archimago and Rob6899 like this.
  18. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Sorry Bro, Cat10 will still not be good enough! Still too noisy and still too jittery according to some audiophiles!!!

You'll see... o_O

Rob6899 and Brother_Rael like this.
  19. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Nigel only buys CAT11

Grissongs likes this.
  20. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

It's amazing how imagination can make up the difference, though. ;-)

21. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Indeed.

I must admit that I jumped around a little bit here and there on this thread given the length of 66 pages over all this time.

But has anyone presented any shred of evidence with real equipment they're listening to that either noise or jitter is a problem with standard Cat5e ethernet cable?

Here's my evidence based on my own listening and measurements accumulated over years. For the record, my home is a detached house, 3 levels, built in 2007, >3500 sq ft, here in the City of Vancouver itself (not metro suburb), each room on all floors has its own ethernet outlet wired with Cat5e or Cat6 so plenty of wire length to "catch" interference if there is much. Central ethernet patch panel in the basement with the broadband cable modem and central switch which these days is a combination of 10GbE as discussed here or standard Gigabit.

No significant noise other than minuscule 60Hz hum measured from an inexpensive DAC - I imagine most audiophiles have much better DAC than this!
    MEASUREMENTS: On the value for ethernet "galvanic isolation"...

No significant jitter regardless of cable or even standard consumer quality switches:
    MEASUREMENTS: Ethernet Cables and Audio...

As a bonus - here's my "audiophile quality" ethernet switch :agree::
    MUSINGS/MEASUREMENTS: Netgear Nighthawk S8000 (and audiophile ethernet switches)

In an age where more than ever, it would be nice to have some evidence before saying stuff that could be untrue (audiophilia really of minor consequence of course), can anyone point to evidence of any sort beyond vague impressions or perhaps "imagination" to show value in purchasing expensive ethernet cables?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  22. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

interesting- since you did exactly that to me earlier in the thread, I actually edited your comment more to see how you'd respond than to remove any information.
    Thanks for not disappointing! :laugh:

Brother_Rael likes this.
  23. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

"Evidence"apparently is no longer a requirement for anything. You simply have to repeat a statement enough times and it becomes true.

24. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Is that a bad thing?
    Isn't that what makes up almost the entire fields of Marketing and Advertising?
    And self-help bookstores?

25. Uglyversal

This has nothing to do with audiophile cables, is anybody posting on this thread able to read or comprehend?

So the different Ethernet standards don't exist, a CAT5 compliant cable is as good as a CAT6, CAT7 or CAT8 cable? Is just all the same, right?

You people need to inform yourself before opening your mouth, you just embarrass yourself.

Good try but not the same as you shrugged at my comment previously but in this case you have ignored that I am replacing a long and old CAT5 cable for one that complies with a superior communication standard to the one I am replacing.
    However that didn't stop you making a sarcastic remark insinuating that changing from a CAT5 to a CAT8 might not be an upgrade, what is your excuse for that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.