Maybe a dumb question....but best tablet for Spotify and Tidal

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oberon313, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oberon313

Oberon313 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I do most of my home music listening on vinyl. I just started a few years ago and I have already collected around 700 records that I plan to keep (not much junk and filler).

That being said I have picked a lot of the "low hanging fruit" in affordable, high supply, easy to find used records and I am getting onto the harder to find and more expensive albums unfortunately.

I want to slow down on vinyl and fill the gap with Spotify and Tidal.

I want a dedicated tablet for this ONLY to integrate into my stereo system (low memory etc..).

I know nothing of digital hifi things (I run a Sansui G8000 that I will just plug the tablet into).

Do any of the cheaper tablets produce music as well as an iPad? From what I understand iPads are the safest bet but I'll need to find a refurbished one ~$200 to stay in my budget.

Thanks!

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

An Amazon Fire HD 10" tablet and 3.5mm-to-RCA cable should do the trick.

vegafleet likes this.
  3. TMAN123

TMAN123 Well-Known Member

1. Get a Blu Dento Bluetooth receiver with aptx hd.

2. Get a cheap phone compatible w aptx hd. You can get a NOS LG G5 or G6 off of eBay for cheap.

3. Connect the phone via Bluetooth and choose sound quality (the phone will prompt you).

4. You can stream Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify from the apps on your phone. This will work wirelessly too.

4. Oberon313

So it seems what I am really trying to ask is will an iPad or Amazon fire have similar DACs??? If I want to to be sure I am getting the best sound it looks like I would have to drop $500 on a bluesound device or something similar....

Tone? likes this.
  5. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

don’t know about anything else but my iPad. Which has a very good dac.
    Is it as good as the cobalt I got? No. But not that far apart and which is why I’m gonna probably return the cobalt

6. Mcginty2020

Mcginty2020 Forum Resident

I would suggest a chromecast audio off of eBay and a inexpensive dac and then just use your phone.

Rob6899 and bever70 like this.
  7. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

8. Oberon313

This is what I ended up doing. It looks like this tablet will run Tidal and Spotify. I assume if I didn't love the sound directly out of the tablet I could add an affordable DAC?

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

10. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I’m surviving with my spare iPhone 6 :D

vegafleet likes this.
  11. Oberon313

Yeah that's totally functional. I'm being pretty particular about having a dedicated tablet stationed at the stereo. I just got into vinyl a few years ago and it was a big awakening that there is something to just letting an album PLAY. When I used to stream music with my phone, especially later in the night after a few beers, I would start skipping around songs, replaying songs, cutting songs off like a drunk *******. I want as little ability / temptation to mess with it as possible lol.

tIANcI likes this.
  12. Oberon313

Thanks for all the help. I'm copying my same reply above.

I can obviously hardwire the tablet to a DAC and then the DAC to my stereo right? I want the "digital album" out of my hands lol. I'm being pretty particular about having a dedicated tablet stationed at the stereo. I just got into vinyl a few years ago and it was a big awakening that there is something to just letting an album PLAY. When I used to stream music with my phone, especially later in the night after a few beers, I would start skipping around songs, replaying songs, cutting songs off like a drunk *******. I want as little ability / temptation to mess with it as possible lol.

peskypesky likes this.
  13. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes, that is the way it should work. As to whether you'll be able to just let an album "play" through, I guess it depends on your music service subscription. I don't use either, but I'm pretty sure that is the way both TIDAL and Spotify work: pick an Artist, pick an Album, then "Play".

BTW, if you do end up adding a DAC consider this option:
    B-Fi Multiroom Music Streamer — Audioengine

It wires to your receiver and allows you to control wirelessly from your tablet across the room. Supports TIDAL and Spotify.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  14. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

You ain’t the only one who skips tracks and albums non-stop when streaming. Lol

15. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I like this idea.

16. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

It's an "economy" solution, but no reason why it should not work and provide a reasonable introduction to streaming. If you decide to upgrade to something more "audiophile", the tablet can be redeployed as a remote controller.

Just be cautious with the tablet output volume when connecting via analog out. I'd switch between sources on your hi-fi, use the tablet volume buttons to set the tablet output level by ear to approximately match your turntable or tuner, then leave it. In no case, though, would I set the tablet output volume above 90%; it's a cheap amp chip in there and it will easily be overdriven.

peskypesky likes this.
  17. Oberon313

didn’t you see what I said lol??? I cannot have Bluetooth and the “remote control” in my hands lol.

Is there a DAC you like under $120 that I could hardwire the tablet into?

I’m new to hifi digital but this would bypass the tablets DAC correct? So as long as the external DAC is hifi I should be rocking right?

peskypesky likes this.
  18. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

19. Oberon313

20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes, sorry.

21. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

I use a Chromebook with HDMI out to an Anthem processor to listen to Pandora. Sounds very good to me as the Anthem has a great DAC in my opinion.

22. Oberon313

just to double check. I'll use the cable you recommended to go from the tablet to the DAC. The an RCA to RCA cable to go from the DAC to my vintage receiver?

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I use an Apple I-pad exclusively for Tidal in the second/garage system. No memory required so a cheapy with the right size screen for me was in order. 2-1/2 years with no complaints.

24. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Exactly.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Bingo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.