Was the late 90s post punk revival the last great rock movement?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by humanracer, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

My vote goes to Britpop.

2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Yes the impact of punk was far more than just the music. Infact the music part was rather minor. I believe that you will find that apart from a select few punk did not sell that well anywhere. The amount of press that it received (from the UK weekly music rags that pumped it ) far outweighed the actual sales. But hey punk wasn't about sales.

You seem to view this era with a set of rose coloured glasses firmly planted on your nose. You appear to be in time warp not unlike those on this forum stuck in Beatlemania.

WilliamWes and Tebbiebear like this.
  3. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Not from the UK no but I keep discovering new(ish) artists from elsewhere that fit that description. Just don't expect to hear them on the radio.

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I was a big fan of The Cribs and very excited by them. I played The New Fellas just about every day for a long time. Like you, I can certainly imagine myself still liking them, along the the debut and Men's Needs...

I wasn't so into the Johnny Marr era, then found In the Belly of the Brazen Bull too dark, after that I moved on. A shame though, I can imagine they have done great stuff since. They had a way with an indie pop tune.

I still love 22 Grand Job by The Rakes. I was seeing so many bands live around this time. I missed that before lockdown and really miss it now.

Neonbeam likes this.
  5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Not sure how the Strokes are on that list, especially when they dropped one of the most acclaimed albums of 2020.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Kaiser Chiefs were good guitar pop, just some atrocious lyrics letting them down. I think I'd probably enjoy their debut album.

7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Great is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly the DIY aspect of punk and how it informed the past four decades of indie rock could be used to argue that punk was indeed the last great rock movement.

8. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Walk the Moon

Elliottmarx likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

If you mean me, then I've done it once ever, after I got absolute sick of your snide remarks and unnecessary digs that you'd been aiming at me for weeks, if not months. You've been deliberately targeting me here for ages.

Again, if you do mean me, and let's face it you do, here you are at it again. Totally irrelevant and uncalled for. It's a shame because we actually agree on a lot, but this is not one sided. You're at it with someone else at the top of page four of this thread (#76).

Now, back to the topic, The Long Blondes were excellent live. I saw them only about a month before Dorian, their guitarist fell ill, which was awful. I thought he was cool just for wearing an Adam and the Ants Dirk Wears White Sox T-Shirt! He was a very good guitarist. If it wasn't for that massive setback, I think they could have outlasted the scene.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  10. The Modfather

The Modfather Forum Resident

Another band of that era who I missed from my list, which tbf wasn’t a comprehensive list, but in forgetting them does add some irony to my gripe is The Moons. They are criminally underrated IMO don’t think I’ve ever heard another person mention them :cry:, Life On Earth, Mindwaves and in particular Fables Of History are as good as any other bands/albums of that scene. Their album last year, Pocket Melodies was ok-ish but a big drop off from their first 3 albums.

For any other music geeks out there Andy Crofts of The Moons is also in Paul Weller’s band.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes, early Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys.

I only play Interpols - Turn On The Bright Lights from this period.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not at all, I'm just interested in accurate information. I lived through that time as a student. It was an incredibly exciting time, a cultural shift which eventually worked its was around the planet and I saw some incredible concerts (Clash, Buzzcocks, Ramones, The Fall, The Drones, 999, XTC, Chelsea, Ultravox, Slaughter & The Dogs, Siousxie, Generation X, Iggy, Pere Ubu, Tubes, Magazine, The Only Ones, Elvis Costello, The Distractions, Red Crayola, Teardrop Explodes, Split Enz, Stiff Little Fingers, The Undertones, Warsaw/Joy Division,...). So no romanticized nostalgia seen through "Rose couloured glasses on my nose". It was all very real and magnificent.
    I'm also not stuck in a time warp at all because I hardly ever listen to all that anymore, in fact into the 80s I abandoned it all for the most part and bought 70s rock, blues, funk, jazz, reggae,...

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I haven't heard of them! Somehow they passed me by.

14. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

so the way to make the biggest cultural impact is to sell the smallest number of records?

idreamofpikas likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's a hell of a list of bands. Your record / CD collection must be impressive. Those memories too. I'm not going to deny I'd rather have been around then or the late 60s than now, but there's nothing I can do about that!

Purple Jim and troggy like this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Selling a lot of records is commercial impact. Cultural impact isn't necessarily related to sales.

17. The Modfather

The Modfather Forum Resident

Give them a try when you get a chance. Think they were 2010 - 2014 so the tail end of the scene we’re talking about but they’re just one of those bands that really click for me.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I think that selling a lot of records is a part of cultural impact also, those things are closely related

19. Geezee

Geezee Forum Resident

I don't know that it is a movement per se but I think there is something resembling a feminist/queer rock brigade in the last 7-8 years - St Vincent, Anna Calvi, Cate Le Bon, Ezra Furman, Savages, Courtney Barnett etc.

20. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I like the recent Scandinavian rock movement (WET, Eclipse, Reckless Love, HEAT, Dynazty, Crazy Lixx...), it goes back to the roots of old melodic hard rock with catchy melodies

21. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

never heard of this "feminist/queer rock brigade", but interesting name choice

22. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I say "no" because 1) it wasn't all that big, and 2) I don't consider revivals to be movements.

Whether or not it was "great" is up to one's own opinion. I thought it was OK, but nothing special. It was also early '00s, not late '90s. And I consider it to be distinct from "garage revival" (Wikipedia has them as synonymous) which was happening at the same time, and which White Stripes is more properly aligned. The US bands were typically more garage revival and the UK bands more typically post-punk revival.

Anyway, what it signalled to me was that we had either reached the "end of history" with respect to rock music, or a temporary holding pattern.

It turned out to the be end of history. Rock just kept recycling and mashing up past styles as it slowly disappeared from prominence.

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

No. It was irrelevant

m3kcomp likes this.
  24. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think they were both significant and produced some very good music, but neither were a "great" musical movement, at least to these ears. That said, I think the subsequent two decades offered very little in terms of definitive, innovative, or deeply creative musical directions that would define an era. Others will disagree and assert that there is a tremendous amount of great, under-the-radar original music being produced, and that may be true, but I don't think there has been a direction or style of music that has been impactful, even as much as the Britpop material from two decades ago.

25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

A blatant revival isn't a significant movement

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.