Was the late 90s post punk revival the last great rock movement?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by humanracer, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

About 2013-2014 i discovered a band called THEE OH SEES. after them other bands/people like Ty Segall on In the red, Castle Face and other independent labels that had "garage psych revival" bands.....Thee Oh Sees are as good or better than any grunge band or 90s post punk band, to me. Nirvana included. And i was in college from 89-93 and loved nirvana. I'e take the Oh Sees over any of those grunge and post post punk bands now. So i will say that the garage psyche scene that developed in the last ten to 15 years is great and perhaps the last great rock movement (of course the movement is still alive and ongoing!).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Kevin j likes this.
  2. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Hence? Whatever do you mean? It wasn't seminal because it was recorded earlier. I don't think most folks knew about that at the time of release.

3. wowiezowie

wowiezowie Forum Resident

I'd say the 90's as a decade was probably the last rock movement, be it Britpop, post rock, alternative, indie, grunge, math rock or electronic/dance music. That was the last time anyone really bought music on a large scale. It's pretty obvious the internet and all it's streaming/illegal downloading has put paid to any future mass music movements. It will never never happen again. Music and youth culture will never be aligned again so closely and massively as it was from 1965 to 2000. We are looking at the end of the 'rock n roll' era, and it will never happen again. Just feel happy that you experienced it first hand.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  4. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Ms. Parachute, you are so right. I go back and forth too - there are days I want to try to explain that a personal taste has nothing to do with cultural impact or universal consensus but then other days I'm like 'ahh screw it, it's not that important.'

I totally agree that it's a one-way road. The younger posters here are way more receptive to older music than older posters are to modern music - there's no way that can be denied. More so than any genre - punk (and then metal) fans from earlier generations really have a hard time accepting anything came after.

Another problem is that the older generation had more of a blank canvas to work with - with each album the canvas fills. There's less and less room for new ideas so hybrids start. A hybrid like grunge made up of punk and metal sounds like neither because the world has acknowledged it as its own genre and movement just like alternative rock overall. When we see older posters who are typically on 60s/70s threads say there have been no movements since the 70s and that nothing has been innovative in almost 50 YEARS, then we see it's going to be an uphill battle and I'm not always in the mood to try to convince someone set in their ways and habits.

But you nailed most of all when you said that people here whatever genre, artist, etc. can't see past their own hearts when the subject turns to consensus and universality. They just can't grasp how others feel or misrepresent them, and instead of communicating to try to comprehend, they turn their backs and head back home to their favorites. And with this being a rock forum, we live in the past more than a pop forum or a hip-hop forum. I hope you, I and others from our generation can appreciate and accept new music and know that our generation can live with future ones.

Kingsley Fats and RudolphS like this.
  5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The slavish devotion to (perceived) "innovation" is the biggest barrier to many older music fans continuing to enjoy music well beyond the 1970s. There is an obsession with "newness" and "who did it first" on this forum, at the expense of simply enjoying music that sounds and feels good or touches one's heart.

I am now and will always be a devotee of the song. Songwriting is more important than anything to me and every song hasn't been written. Every original, beautiful melody has not been strummed and every insightful, emotional lyric has not been writ. Every interesting and daring arrangement hasn't been put together yet either. It's about human beings communicating with one another through song.

If one thinks "it's all been done," I personally think the point of music has been missed entirely.

moops, anth67, gregorya and 5 others like this.
  6. tages

tages Senior Member

I don’t really think “movements” occur anymore - not since the rise of the internet round about ‘98.

wowiezowie and Kingsley Fats like this.
  7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Yes. The Scandinavians seem to have a grasp on getting the old (real) 70's sound & style. I will check out the bands that you listed as I have not heard any of them, however, I have heard other Sandanavian bands/artists that play the kind of music I like in the style & sound that I like. Maybe it's because they don't seem to pander towards commercial/hits.

8. Kingsley Fats

I can not let a post that has been written with such passion by someone in support of her OWN music & time go past without praise.
    This is exactly what music means to me. Different time, different era but the same.

For me, the music that I love has seldom connected with the mainstream.

In relation to the comment derivative garbage.

A read of the book below may give you an insight that suggests almost all the rock music discussed on this forum is in fact derivative.Mostly taken from era's before most of us were born. Hell The Beatles were derivative.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Spinone, troggy, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  9. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

I think the thing you should focus on is the part where you said you don't care if someone else likes the music you like. That's the way it should be with everything you are interested in. You shouldn't take it so seriously...because there's always someone out there that thinks everything everyone else likes sucks.

That said, this thread was about whether or not the Post-Punk revival was the last major rock movement. That is a debatable, and in some ways quantifiable, thing. It isn't about feelings, age, validity, etc...it's about something far bigger.

When I was 13, I heard Suicide for the first time. It was the track "Cheree" on a compilation and it changed my entire life. The vast majority of the people on this earth would probably say Suicide sucks. I disagree.

As much as I love them, I have no illusions about how important they are in the overall musical landscape...and don't care. If the Strokes are special to you, what does it matter what anyone else thinks? People have hated bands I love my entire life, who gives a crap? I'd imagine it would take a fraction of a second for you to find TONS of people online who feel just as strongly about their love of the Strokes as you, probably stronger. This is not something I've had the luxury of with most of the bands I love, nor did I ever concern myself about it...but if cultural acceptance is important to you, you've got it in spades at your fingertips and probably had it amongst your peers.

No matter how much you love the Strokes, however, it doesn't change that they were/are just another band in a big ocean...that was what was being discussed here. They weren't part of the "last great rock movement." That has nothing to do with feelings, it has to do with looking at music historically rather than emotionally.

I suppose then, in my HUMBLE opinion. the answer to the question posed by this thread is simple: no.

10. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

What does being white and male have to do with it? I can answer you: nothing.

unclefred likes this.
  11. Parachute Woman

The purpose of my entire post was to answer the thread question and to demonstrate (with myself as a primary source) that the garage rock revival of the early 2000s was a significant rock 'n roll movement, with tremendous influence both on individual listeners of my generation and on the rock music made after it.

12. Kingsley Fats

I believe that you have sold me that this was a significant rock 'n roll movement (though not as seismic as others - but still valid) which now moves us from the mid 90's (Britpop) to the early 2000.
    Unfortunately this still leaves us with a near 20 gap since then. As previously stated there has been much decent music released since then but nothin that seems to suggest a "movement"

@Parachute Woman Could I suggest that you go back & explore the artists that influenced those artists involved in the early 2000's. There were good reasons why Jack White et al got that inspiration. Enjoy the trip, often going back is more enjoyable (& enlightening) than the journey going forward.

13. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

This.

For me, it's "grunge" in the early 90's and then maybe "britpop" roughly at the same time... and that's it.

14. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Symphonic metal didn't really take off in the US, other than Evanescence having a similar sound. Otherwise, I would nominate it as a great rock movement. Extreme metal, however, which I'm not very familiar with, is quite popular with all of its subcategories.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

THANK YOU. that mindset also misses the point entirely that a person could very well hear a song from a new artist BEFORE hearing the beatles. who cares who "did it first"...it only matters what you dig, YA DIG??

eelkiller, ARK and Parachute Woman like this.
  16. Parachute Woman

I have done that. :) I didn't know the influences when I was 13 but I'm nearly 33 years old now and I think I have a pretty strong knowledge of rock history.

17. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Well, then the purpose of my posts has been the opposite.

That's what debate is about. Opinion.

I just don't see it reflected in reality. It was far from a "great rock movement." It was a bunch of over-hyped bands, the same thing that happens all the time.

There is a plethora of evidence to support this...to show that it probably wasn't even a movement at all. Your earlier posts are ageist and argue in much the same way as the very posts you said discounted your opinions.

It's just as offensive to be forcefully told what is good as to be told what is bad, probably more so. I would struggle to come up with the name of a band who was pushed on the music listening public as hard as the Strokes were, and that alone made them suspect to anyone who ever discovered a band without having them shoved down their throat.

If you feel you now have a pretty strong knowledge of rock history this should all be blatantly obvious to you. These bands were the last gasp of regular record sales only by chance, then the world changed. You're not a 13 year old girl falling in love with the Strokes anymore, you're an adult who should be able to see a broader cultural picture. Those bands are close to insignificant in that regard. I'm NOT SAYING THEY SUCK...I couldn't care less about them, to be frank. I'm saying they weren't part of "the last great rock movement." There's a big distinction there.

Put another way, I feel like the vast majority of music that people have decided (with voluminous evidence) is significant or important kind of sucks. Do I feel like Sgt. Pepper's is the greatest album of all time? No. The album I would pick is Fun House. You may pick Is This It. But there's no argument that Sgt. Pepper's was a far more significant record and also part of a great rock movement.

Most of the things I cherish will end up in a dumpster some day. That doesn't make them any less significant to me, I get it. The topic wasn't "Parachute Woman's Last Great Rock Movement."

The topic also wasn't about if a band or "movement" was significant. That's just personal opinion, and is the reason this board even exists, no?

The funniest part about all of this is that none of these bands are even Post-Punk. I wish they had come up with another name. Makes you think...why would they have been unable to do that?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Sear likes this.
  18. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Yet they're pretty much the only two of that era who still are semi relevant, The Strokes have randomly come back in fashion the last year or so

19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

We tend to mistake subjetive impressions with objective.

I love the tiny indie pop band from Leicester called Po!, but I wouldn't say they are relevant in any way. They are relevant in my small and personal world. Not in the world outside.

Strokes are irrelevant too. They copied the Velvets and Television but with little talent (this is IMHO). Less than a footnote in history of rock.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    patient_ot and m3kcomp like this.
  20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

You nailed it.

patient_ot and m3kcomp like this.
  21. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

I liked The Strokes but for me they simply could not live up to the hype surrounding them after their first album.

I never liked The Killers. The Killers sound had nothing in resemblance to the raw sound of The White Stripes, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and The Libertines but somehow The Killers seemed to get tagged into it. For me The Killers always sounded like a pop band from day one no different to Mcfly or Busted.

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Well I was 21-24 at that time..I already knew very well the Velvets, Television , Modern Lovers, etc..
    I mean I don't belong to the generation of these bands either. I wasn't around in the 70s.
    I've always searched for the best and the original, regardless they belong to "my time" or not

caravan70 and m3kcomp like this.
  23. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Right. Why on earth does it matter when music was made? When anything artistic was created? If it's good, it's good...and vice versa.

The idea that you need to "find the music of your time" is childish. Ageism (in any direction) is a powerful thing which I never understood, even as a child.

There's a lot of assumptions being made here. I knew the music of my generation was lacking pretty early on. I didn't force myself just because it was "of my time."

That's about as limiting as one can get. Once you're cognizant of your tastes, you should follow them. Otherwise, what's the point?

caravan70 and Sear like this.
  24. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I would say late 70's/ early 80's punk and some of the better new wave was the last great rock "movement" to happen. But that doesn't mean there hasn't been some great rock hybrid music since then. A few excellent examples to me would include Neil Young's work from 1990 to 1996, the reformed Dinosaur Jr albums, and much of Steve Wynn's the reformed The Dream Syndicate's work from the mid 90's to the present.

caravan70 and Purple Jim like this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’ve read many times here that some people refuse to acknowledge, willingly listen to or appreciate music created by others who are younger than themselves.

team2, ARK and Kingsley Fats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.