Black Crowes to issue 2 cd Deluxe Edition of Shake Your Money Maker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Jan 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The new remaster is on Spotify now. The 1998 remaster was remixed per Rick Rubin in an ICE Magazine interview at the time and he mentioned adding more bass so not sure if this remaster will have that 1998 remix or it will revert to the original mix. I am listening to it on Spotify and it seems like it's the original mix but not sure.

If you end up not liking this remaster you may want to seek the 1998 one as the bass is there on that version.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. veon

veon Forum Resident

You can find it on the Twice as Hard single as well.

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If Charming is any indication the new remaster will be very loud compared to the original. They will need to apply some interesting EQ/compression moves to prevent this from being a total ear bleeder.

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hep Alien, ARK, Matthew Tate and 3 others like this.
  5. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

The 3CD version is on Qobuz (Hi-Rez available).
    Don't know what's the mastering yet.

Zephead2112, JorgeGvb and JeffHunt like this.
  6. About 15 years ago or so, someone put together several discs of tracks covered by Crowes live but never recorded for an lp. I believe it was put on one of those "sowing and reaping" facilitators :uhhuh:

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't know the 1998 remaster was remixed as well. Nothing in the liner notes indicates that, just that it was remastered by Leon Zervos. It's louder than ideal, but better than the original CD. That's the ONLY one of the 1998 remasters where that is the case. I can say I like the mix on the 1998 CD, if they just backed off on the compression a bit, it'd be great.

If we're just getting another loud remaster with this, that's a real shame.

8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Decided to order the Target version to avoid another massive box to store somewhere.

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Cover Me With A Good Dream.

Corvus, Hep Alien, KAJ1971 and 2 others like this.
  10. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

The limited Super Deluxe Version of 1000 is sold out on the bands store for the vinyl and cd versions already.
    Glad i ordered my cd version right away then !!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

whats he difference between that and the version on amazon?

12. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i literally think it's just an extra 8x10 photo, it's shown and mentioned on the site.

nothing too crazy but the limited to 1000 part of it is kind of what makes it a bit more exciting to me.
    but if i had known about the Target version first, i probably would have just bought that instead.
    but i already bought it and now it's sold out, so i feel like i should stick with my original order.

SkyblueSky and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. I might even prefer the version with horns. Will be getting this.

ARK and Bluesman Mark like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

thank you. i want the deluxe set with the other stuff thats listed on amazon

15. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I just went through the singles from this era and here is what is listed as non-LP material:

Twice as Hard (Remix) (3:53)
    Jealous Again (Acoustic Version) (4:37)
    Jealous Again (Live) (4:45)
    Could I Have Been So Blind (Live) (3:44)
    Jealous Guy (Live) (4:24)
    Waitin' Guilty (3:03)
    Twice as Hard (Live) Paradiso, Amsterdam
    Stare It Cold (Live) Paradiso, Amsterdam
    Hard To Handle (Remix) (3:02)
    Dreams (Live) Greek Theatre (8:24)
    Stare It Cold (Live) Greek Theatre (5:45)
    Sister Luck (Live) Greek Theatre (5:38)
    She Talks To Angels (Live Video Version) (6:10)
    She Talks To Angels (Acoustic Version) (6:10) (6:19)?
    Could I Have Been So Blind (Live) Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (3:50)
    She Talks To Angels (Live) Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (5:38)
    Sister Luck (Live) Greek Theatre (5:05) edit?
    Jealous Again Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (Live)
    Hard To Handle Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (Live)

Some of the tracks did not have times listed. I am assuming that the "acoustic" version of "She Talks To Angels" is identical to the "Live Video Version." Some sources list it as 6:10 while others list it as 6:19. "Sister Luck" is listed as being from the Greek Theatre twice with different track lengths. I am assuming that either one of the track lengths is wrong or one version is an edit. There are two listings for "Could I Have Been So Blind." The track lengths are similar (3:44 and 3:50). I am assuming that they are the same recording. If my assumptions are correct that leaves us with 16 original b-sides (either completely new songs ("Waitin' Guilty"), live tracks or remixes). I did not bother including single edits that were just shorter versions of album tracks. There are four of the sixteen non-LP tracks that I do not have times for. The twelve tracks I do have times for total 59:09. Assuming that the other four tracks run less than five minutes each all sixteen tracks could have been squeezed onto one disc. Of course, my numbers could be off and I may have missed some non-LP songs from this era.

Maybe not everyone would want all of those live tracks but the completist in me wishes all of the b-sides had been included. There would still have been room for the "new" outtakes on the first disc.

laf848, Hep Alien, cublowell and 6 others like this.
  16. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

There is the bonus disc that should have been along with the Mr Crowes Garden tracks

17. cass

cass Forum Resident

Surely they will be holding some stuff back for the 40/50th anniversary editions...

TheLoveDrags and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

The 6:19 version is the one that was included as a bonus track on the 1998 reissue of SYMM.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah it doesn't say anywhere on the reissue that it was remixed but you can tell the bass is boosted. I wish I could find the article online but I swear he said that when it was reissued.

20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Stupid me forgot that you get free shipping at $35. So I added another item and did the preorder. Amazingly, I will not have to wait for my other item. I thought the fee shipping was offered because they would ship in one package together in the same day after the Crowes album is released. Apparently not.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

great research. i wonder if one day some collection will come out that has whats missing from this set

John Fell likes this.
  22. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Ordered the basic 3cd from the official UK store, if you sign up you get 10% off which basically covers your postage. Great rock and roll album, look forward to listening.

Hep Alien, ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Interesting juxtapositions I'm seeing in this thread, & I don't mean that in a bad way.

How many times on the SHF have we seen comments about how CDs are "too long" vis-à-vis vinyl, & here we have comments that are being made about this set not being complete?

I understand completely, as many of us, (including myself), tend to be completists, but at the same time, the original album is always what I consider to be "complete", & the bonuses are just the icing on the cake for me. And, like I said, I see nothing wrong with the other viewpoints in this thread, I just found it interesting.

Also, just FYI, the bonuses in this set that were on the "Sho Nuff" box set from 98 were also included on the individual remastered albums at the time, only to be deleted from subsequent reissues. The only exclusive in the box set is the live EP.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Funny, the first album is my favorite Black Crows album. I didn't buy any other album.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    TheLoveDrags likes this.
  25. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

You think they found the original tapes?

I think they burned up in the UM/e fire and we're stuck with the 1998 Zervos remasters forever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.