Was the late 90s post punk revival the last great rock movement?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by humanracer, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Why do you take it so seriously and personally? This is not a personal attack. Who cares if someone else feels they suck? You like em and this is enough for you, isn't?

I was 21-24 when those crop of bands appeared and I didn't care at all about them, I saw them as bunch of Velvets and Television dull hipsters wannabes. No, it wasn't a new spirit. This is my take, feelings and experience and you have yours. And yes, they are a footnote in rock history and this is a fact. So what? I like the 70s UK punk band The Lurkers and they are a footnote too , and a lot of people sure think they suck because they made records with two chords .
    I'm not going to tear my hair out because someone says that Po! weren't a whole new musical revolution that will last in the annals of pop music

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Quotes please?

3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I can look past a band that aren't original, innovative, ground breaking ect... if I like their music.
    I prefer elastica to wire tbh.
    Wire are obviously more important in the scheme of things.

D Grady and m3kcomp like this.
  4. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

100% agree.

m3kcomp likes this.
  5. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Agreed. I have also seen younger people slag on those who are older and like older music. It goes both ways, sadly. The only reason why you don't see it as much here is that this is an outdated form of communication, Boomers.

There's a lot garbage music from every era. Plenty to go around.

We are so off topic in a way. To me it is crystal clear: if it's a REVIVAL it CANNOT be the last great rock movement, by definition.

joy stinson likes this.
  6. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

This sums it up perfectly.

I've had people lose their minds that I would throw everything the Pistols ever recorded in the garbage can to be able to keep PIL's music.

There's no doubt about which band is more important historically, regardless of one's feelings or taste.

(Picking Elastica over Wire is bold, to be sure! Haha. I'm not going to stomp my feet and cry about it, however.)

jackfruits and Django like this.
  7. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like wire as well, but elastica added some honey to wire's porridge.

m3kcomp likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’m sure they are in “new music sucks” threads that have been sanitized or zapped. You’ll just have to take my word for it.

joy stinson likes this.
  9. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

But The Strokes didn't sound like either the Velvets or Television. It was clearly of that lineage, but they weren't copyists. I can point to several 80's Indie bands (mostly English) that bridge the gap between the Velvets, Television and The Strokes, but The Strokes didn't sound exactly like them either.

Man at C&A, troggy, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Were Wire and Elastica paired because Elastica’s big song utilized a Wire song haha?

11. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Perhaps.

On the similar note, why were the Strokes compared to a ton of bands they don't sound anything like?

Because the music press needed something to write about and sell.

I agree they don't sound like the Velvets, Television, or the Modern Lovers. Those bands are good.

12. Synthfreek

I don't mid a handful of Strokes songs, I just never understood why they are taken as the second coming in some circles. They're alright, I wouldn't change the station. The Killers though, man, that just sounds like a Walmart version of what a supposed post-punk revival band should sound like.

m3kcomp likes this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Another thing that enraged me about them is that they were rich privileged kids marketed as indie rock (fake indie rock) by the majors, while the real indie bands struggled.

And the White Stripes...have you ever heard of the Gories?

joy stinson likes this.
  14. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

For me, the end of the second great guitar band era was marked by either:

1) The release of The Woods by Sleater-Kinney, & their subsequent breakup, or
    2) the breakup of The White Stripes

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like the strokes, don't really have a problem with the moneyed backgrounds. Just an accident of birth. They were manna from heaven for the British music magazines at the time. They had style. They looked good. The had the right cool influences. Some of them had exotic tongue twister names. They didn't mind them being rich kids because they were American. If they were English they probably would have torn the apart.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Do you have the same take when it comes to ***** Galore---at least a couple of rich privileged kids in that band. Did knowing that enrage you as well?

And why are people still attempting to make the indie vs. major label argument? Yawn. Was PIL less valuable, or not as credible, because they were on a major label? How about the bands on Caroline? Are you going to discount them because of a major label affiliation? Was the struggle not real?

Have you ever heard of Flat Duo Jets? The White Stripes sound nothing like The Gories---it's a cheap comparison based on geography and the absence of a bass player.

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

PiL was in a major but they are a genuinely groundbreaking, innovative band. And John Lydon wasn't a privileged kid, rather the other way around.

I don't care about ***** Galore

Terrapin Station likes this.
  18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Multiple of their songs took 'inspiration' from Wire.

theMess, Synthfreek and Tristero like this.
  19. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

No one made any statements about major labels vs. indie labels, unless I missed something here.

Also, the mainstream music press never shoved ***** Galore down people's throats and proclaim them to be the biggest thing since sliced bread.

20. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Wow. Never knew about this...nutty. Only heard Elastica when something came on the radio.

While on the subject, Wire is such a special band. It's quite mindblowing.

idreamofpikas likes this.
  21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't know if you were bothered by my earlier post, but as I mentioned, I quite like bands like the Strokes, the White Stripes, etc., but I just don't see how that stuff counts as a "movement" unless we're saying that all artists are part of a movement somehow. If we're talking about movements, we should probably have some music-historical and broader social context--basically it suggests that were approaching things from more of an objective musicological angle.

By the way, nu-metal and the like meant a lot (well and still means a lot) to me, especially as someone who loves metal timbres/metal "energy"/intensity, funk tropes/funk influences and catchy/hooky writing. If you're upset that someone is ragging on music you love, it's probably wise to not do the same to music that other folks love.

22. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Actually one of the more recent rock movements was screamo, but I'm still pretty ignorant about it as a genre. Also crunkcore if we consider that a rock subgenre.

23. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Wrong, wrong wrong.

Elvis/Rock & Roll - the entire movement was made built mostly on music appropriated from earlier black music
    Beatles / Rolling Stones - started their careers revisiting the sounds of the rock & roll era
    The whole British Blues movement !!
    Led Zeppelin dito above
    UK 70's punk - much of this was based on US garage rock

Q. When does reinvention become revival
    A. When the people can identify the originators

It's easy to pass something off to pimply young teenagers when they are unaware that it has been done before (mostly by black people).
    In the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's being unaware was the norm.

24. Kingsley Fats

The second great guitar band era had come & gone before those mentioned were born.
    Out of interest when was (your version) of the first great guitar band era.

For the record I will say IMO that the first era (electric guitar) was @ Charlie Christian / T-Bone Walker.
    Thanks to the wonders of the internet I am starting to discover more players from this era 80 years later.

25. Kingsley Fats

I started my voyage of re-discovering the musical past in the late 1980's (roughly the same age as you are now) & I'm still at it 30+ years later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.