USPS Tracking - what are your current experiences?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by George P, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

A quick update since Post #771, above.

I had a USPS representative recommend that when choosing the 'package intercept' option, it's a good idea (at least in a case of an extended delay such as the one some of us are enduring) to also fill out the 'missing mail' form. He says that particular form would prompt someone at USPS to contact me, which could be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I just noticed that one of my extremely late packages was shipped via Priority Mail and insured up to $100, which is greater than the value. I'm going to file a claim and see what happens.

3. Before this post, many of my parcels shipped between mid-November and mid-December have either been delivered or, at least, showed major movement.

I've presently four parcels shipped recently from various point of the USA, and they all have gotten to the ATLANTA series of hubs. There, the movement stops.

So .... presently, Atlanta is a vacuum (they MUST be absolutely backed-up with parcels).

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it is truly sad how much of a mess the us postal system is right now,

a whole lot of people are talking about it too. seems to come up once a day somewhere.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  5. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

Forgot to take down a few listings from eBay and one of them sold the other night :sigh: I packaged it up and messaged the buyer, thanking them for their purchase, and I asked them to be understanding of the major delays USPS is experiencing now. Here's hoping the package gets to the buyer on time, and if it doesn't, here's hoping the buyer is patient, understanding, and not a complete idiot :sweating:

6. Yeah ... I haven't resumed selling on eBay for the fact that they (eBay) are not taking in consideration the situation with the USPS.

It's almost insane that eBay will quickly refund a buyer because of the potentially added time to deliver a parcel (through no fault of the seller).

I'm ready to start selling again, but until I feel like the coast is clear, I'm kinda stuck. I'm not willing to roll the dice just yet.

Hopefully this will be remedied soon.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I hear you on this, but the eBay situation also impacts those of us who are buyers and trying to be fair-minded. I purchased an item Nov 24, which the seller shipped from the Midwest the next day. On Nov 30 it arrived at my area Network Distribution Center on the East Coast - and then tracking stopped.

Earlier this week I decided to finally contact the seller to say I was getting close to the point where I regrettably was going to have to request a refund if it didn't show up - and found that my eBay buyer protection/return window had closed. It's not a big deal as there's always PayPal, but if a buyer wants to be patient and reasonable (which I strongly believe we all should), eBay's stupidity in this matter cuts both ways.

(RE the item itself in this case, yesterday it popped up, six weeks later, having been scanned in to a distribution center back in the Midwest, in a different state than it shipped from. I guess one day it will eventually make its way back to my area. :crazy: :) )

8. I understand what you are saying.

However, if it is documented (through USPS tracking numbers) that the seller shipped the parcel within the accepted eBay time-frame ... why is the seller at fault? Why should the seller bear the brunt of the situation? Potentially losing revenue, product, and getting a scar on their reputation, to boot! (not saying you would give negative feedback, @tmtomh ).

eBay is the madman at the wheel, unfortunately.

See.... this is why I am waiting for the USPS to get back to "normal" transit time(s).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    cwitt1980 likes this.
  9. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

This is the exact fight I had with eBay this past summer, and even though they acknowledged that I had shipped the item, they basically told me I was SOL. It's not a difficult concept to understand, so I'm not sure what's so confusing to them.

10. From reading posts within the eBay community, it seems as though eBay has been leaning more toward the rights of the buyer for quite some time now.

Pretty much saying "F U" to sellers.

I don't get it. Without sellers to offer product, eBay would crumble.

I realize eBay isn't the only game in town, but they are huge as far their reach (and sellers pay for that reach). Why treat sellers with such contempt?

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have a CD coming from japan.....will i get it by the 4th of july?

12. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quark1134 and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  13. lmao!

(sorry, @rjp) :oops:

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:yikes:

15. Thesmellofvinyl

Just received notice that my request for a package intercept won’t be granted and the USPS won’t charge me. They told me the package will continue to the original destination. The buyer has received a full refund. Maybe he will pay after he receives it. Maybe he will mail it back to me. Maybe I will have to fight with eBay.

16. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

My Priority Mail insurance claim is now listed as paid, but it's been a week or so and I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. Hopefully the check doesn't get lost too!

17. Bedlam Inside

Bedlam Inside Member

Stuff is usually almost always 2-3 days late for me in recent times, when I even pay for priority mail express for international.

Good thing is, most people, especially international folks are usually receptive and super flexible/undertanding of our situation in the states.

18. Thesmellofvinyl

The package was finally delivered today to the buyer whom eBay had refunded.

I learned the reason my original intercept request was not granted; the requests are closed after one week—so if the receiving local
    post office doesn’t take in your item during that week, it closes the request.

Tracking told me when the package had arrived at a postal location near the destination (not the local post office) so I created a new request so that it would likely be current when my package got to the local post office. It was current but they still delivered it instead of returning it to me.

I sent the buyer a note requesting either payment or a return. If he ignores me, is there anyone at eBay to whom I can show the documentation of the delivery? They should reverse the refund but I doubt they ever do that.

19. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Things have gotten better for me with items arriving closer to on-time from USPS. The one exception is CDs from Germany. There are still several mailed from there in December that have not arrived. I had to open up cases on eBay to avoid missing eBay's deadlines for requests.

20. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Postmaster General Dejoyboy,evidently a big PITA to oust him from USPS,just announced slower service and higher prices. Senator Tammy Duckworth wants the entire USPS board canned.This is not a political problem,as many Veteran's rely on the USPS for medication,folks without direct deposit ,etc. The USPS is a service,not a for-profit part of American life.

GentleSenator and SJP like this.
  21. Louis DeJoy : Absolutely among the worst "appointed" shlubs in American history.

jason202 likes this.
  22. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Just curious. Was it a damage claim or a lost item?

23. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It was a lost item. Which eventually showed up, after I'd deposited the check :shrug:

24. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Of course. Did you already refund the item?

25. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

No, it was an item that I received.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.