Was the late 90s post punk revival the last great rock movement?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by humanracer, Jan 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no...

m3kcomp likes this.
  2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Correct

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed...: )

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  4. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

A MASSIVE oversimplification.

So what's the answer to the topic's question then? I'm genuinely interested in a clear cut answer since you felt you could distill 75 years of Rock history in a few lines...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  5. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

You missed it.

Of course the mainstream press didn't shove ***** Galore down anyone's throat in the 80s, they could barely utter the name Butthole Surfers. But plenty of zines certainly did. The Strokes made a near perfect record. They deserved the praise they received for their debut. Beyond that, not so much.

6. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Gimme a break, man.

Why are all these posts about everything except the topic? It's so weird. I'm not innocent in this, however I was genuinely interested in what people thought about the actual topic.

I don't give a rat's ass about who likes the Strokes or not, to be frank.

7. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

So your ire against rich kids who start a band only applies to bands you care about? Did one of The Strokes steal your girlfriend? Is that why they get under your skin?

Neonbeam and Lost In The Flood like this.
  8. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

Oy, vey. This thread's gonna get locked over some dumb ****.

That is such a ridiculous thing to say.

RE: ***** Galore. 99.9% of the people here have never heard their music, much less thought about if they came from a wealthy backround. That could be why they haven't registered on the rich kid's band radar. Semi-related...Boss Hog used to put on a great live show back in the day.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Sear likes this.
  9. Kingsley Fats

How is it a MASSIVE oversimplification ?
    You stated a REVIVAL it CANNOT be the last great rock movement. I have countered with examples which displays that some of the great rock movements were revivals.
    The fact was that these movements revived music that most people hadn't heard before thus making them appear to be new & unique.

Rock history is more than 75 years in the making. I did not distill anything. All I did was provide a number of examples.
    Read the book that I posted earlier. The author is a very skilled researcher & has taken a path that nobody else seems to have trodden.
    Maybe you will see the connections. Music is a continium. Everything is connected. The new is the old dressed up & taken in a new direction.

Clearly the answer to the topic's question is - no

IMO Parachute Woman has put forward a case to display a rock movement that occurred in the early 2000's .
    This may not have been as large a movement as UK punk but I can almost guarantee that those artists sold more albums than the original subject matter.

10. Kingsley Fats

Gram Parsons was a (very) rich kid. He made some pretty good music. People still listen to it & rave about it 50 + years later.

BTW his music was regarded as revolutionary, yet all he did was combined a couple of different styles of music that he loved & wrote some great songs

Man at C&A and Lost In The Flood like this.
  11. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

emo

m3kcomp likes this.
  12. m3kcomp

m3kcomp Forum Resident

The Strokes alone have probably sold more records than all of the UK Punk bands combined. This wasn't about the last great selling record. If we are going to go by record sales, we have a whole other monster on our hands.

13. Kingsley Fats

The Strokes alone have probably sold more records than most of the artists in my catalogue combined.
    If we were to be talking the big sellers during the punk era we would be discussing disco. That topic has already had it's send off.

m3kcomp likes this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I think this shouldn't be censored. Everyone should be able to vent about what is disliked. If she feels that way about nu-metal (me too) ,she has the perfect right to say it. Besides she has a point there.

15. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good posts and I 100% agree
    But was it the last one?
    I’m 39 and have to listen to chart radio at work
    For the past decade I’ve never heard rock played regularly on the radio. It’s mostly r&b, girl or boy bands, or singer songwriters (Ed Sheeran).
    In 2004 in UK groups like Franz Ferdinand and Razorlight were everywhere

16. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

That’s not completely true. Grunge bands didn’t all have the same influences. Some, like Soundgarden and AiC, were influenced by metal bands, not punk.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, I agree. There was very metal feel or a punk/metal fusion feel to a lot of the Grunge sound (which is probably why I never liked it).

18. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I think the word "revival" may be a clue --plus it was a revival of a revival. The actual garage rock revival was DMZ/Lyres, Fleshtones, Prime Movers, Prisoners etc in the late 70's/early 80's.

troggy likes this.
  19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This is one of the best things I've ever seen written in these forums.

CybrKhatru, gregorya and ARK like this.
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, a very interesting perspective. And I say this as a garage rock lover who missed not only the original garage rockers of the 60s but also the initial revival during the 80s the first time around.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge Strokes fan, although their debut is a good record. I bought it on release and was underwhelmed by it at the time because I was buying so much other contemporary garage rock, mostly by bands that didn't have any hype behind them. But I recently revisited Is This It for the first time in ages and enjoyed it. Whether it was part of a great rock movement is purely a subjective designation but it's a valid perspective, if it's yours.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  21. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

So far as '90's post-punk revival, OP examples of Franz Ferdinand & The White Stripes not '90s bands. FF formed in '02 & while The White Stripes formed in late 90s & put out 1 record in '99, the major output has been in the 21st Century.
    There have been more recent artists in the 21st century doing post punk. Some:
    White Lies
    The Futureheads
    The Rifles
    Interpol
    Editors
    Savages

____________________ _________________ _________________ __________________ ___________________ __________________

As for a movement:
    We're presently in a movement (or 2), away from bands to solo artists, which has occurred throughout & away from genre-specific. There seems to be a big wave/larger movement @ present, whereas prior there was still a big mix of solo & bands. This is creating a rich blend of r., folk r., alternative country, americana, pop, rockabilly. Genre's becoming a thing of the past w/lots of genre-blurring/blending...makes sense after 50ish years of rock bands. Stylistic boundaries will continue to be broken down. Some artists have 1 foot in country & the other in rock &/or will put out a record in 1 & the next will be the other.
    *And - not new concept - artists continue to put out music w/their bands & separately, as solo artists.
    (Not necessarily mass-mainstream pushed.) To substantiate, will leave some names as examples. For further, just browse SHF new music threads.
    Jesse Malin
    Lilly Hiatt
    Lydia Loveless
    Sturgill Simpson

*Examples: Tommy Stinson (former: The Replacements) putting out records as both a solo artist & as lead of his band, Bash & Pop. Tim Burgess (The Charlatans),
    Brendan Benson (The Raconteurs), Sadler Vaden (guitarist/Jason Isbell's 400 Unit), Brandon Flowers (The Killers), Brandon Boyd (Incubus).

Don't be surprised, either, if artists jump whatever genre they've achieved success in. In 2020, Post Malone did a Nirvana covers live-stream benefit concert & @ New Year's Eve covered both Alice In Chains & Black Sabbath, doing so very, very well. - Up on youtube.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    WilliamWes likes this.
  22. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Should have also included I don't believe Post Malone would necessarily leave his present genre of rap for rock/grunge/metal. He's apparently amassed quite a career & fortune therein, (I was only aware of him as a face tattoo guy, never heard his rap output). - Left more as an example of artists not being contained within 1 genre. -

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  23. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Anyone remember The Hives?

caravan70 likes this.
  24. Rpgonzalez

Rpgonzalez Active Member

I was under the impression that rock movements were something more than just music. They were a dramatic change in the musical landscape accompanied by, more importantly, a shift in the way youth looked, acted and behaved. By definition then, somebody who experienced previous rock movements would be hard pressed to identify a new one because they are no longer "young and impressionable".

The conversation of “this band is awesome, this band sucks …” is off topic. Also, one hit wonders and album sales are not necessarily an indication of a rock movement as others have pointed out. I am sorry that parachute woman was offended, but she has been reading the off-topic, irrelevant conversations a little too much. Please don’t think "everyone" here is stepping on your youth by denouncing bands, they just can’t seem to stay on topic!

I was there in full swing for the Grunge movement. The reason why I call it a movement is because it was a change in the way we acted, thought and behaved. We were doing our thing as metal heads when Grunge hit... the leather jackets got tossed, we hit up the thrift shops en masse and we started talking about feelings (and the drugs changed too). But then lead singers died, follow-up albums were just OK and the movement stopped pretty short. So it wasnt so much about which albums hit the Billboard. But the musical landscape changed. The youth culture changed. Punk and metal was one thing, grunge was another (even though we ran around in the same circles).

I've been watching subsequent trends over the past 20+ years and trying to identify what the next movement was. I absolutely cannot call the post punk revival a movement because it was something based off of something that had been done before. I am NOT minimizing the importance of the music though. I loved that ****. I was not part of the original 70s movement so I felt like I was able to connect with that old rock ‘n’ roll feeling. Nonetheless, they were reviving older styles, older riffs, older culture. Yes, you can absolutely be enamored with the genre of music… much as I was. But kids didn't start wearing bell bottoms nor did a new style emerge.

Nu-metal is one of my favorite genres because it ended up combining different types of music into something that I very much enjoyed. But, were kids dressing differently? Did they develop a political ideology like the one that rose out of the punk movement (maybe)? Did they develop a hippie mentality like the one that arose out of the classic rock movement? Even though the music was different… I guess I would be prone to call that more of an evolution of metal. However, I dont want to analyze the term "evolution of music" ... thats a can of worms.

I am giving the nod to the last rock ‘n’ roll movement as being the emo/screamo movement. It gave kids a new style, and popularized the idea that feelings are big and need to be let out. Hair changed, shoes changes, attitudes changed.

In the most current musical landscape, I’m seeing a lot more youth going back to the grunge look. Maybe it’s something as simple as Target starting to carry Nirvana T-shirts, but it seems like with YouTube, Spotify, the Internet, as others have said movements are no longer possible. Guess we’ll see.

dmiller458 and Kingsley Fats like this.
  25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Are "rock movements" really separate from the evolution of music in general? Didn't rock evolve from blues, country, and also incorporate elements of jazz and "classical" music? And isn't it all still evolving (although, granted, I would say rather slowly right now)? I see it all as a continuum.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.