Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning this fine performance.
    [​IMG]

Daedalus, TonyACT, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a gorgeously recorded and played 2CD set.

dale 88, Zafu, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

I don't think I have any of his recordings.

4. George P

His Chopin Mazurkas and Nocturnes are wonderful.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Now playing on the TT:[​IMG]

Rose River Bear and TonyACT like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Some more recordings I have not heard. I am sure they are great performances with Inbal at the podium.

TonyACT likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

8. Rose River Bear

Spinning......have not listened to this in a long time.

[​IMG]

dale 88 and TonyACT like this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

MOZART: Requiem - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields conducted by Sir Neville Marriner (1991 recording, US Phillips CD)

[​IMG]

Wes H, dale 88, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  10. George P

Great recording!

TonyACT and mBen989 like this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, to be honest I picked it up because of Marriner's previous work with Mozart (Amadeus)

12. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Found this at a Goodwill recently - spinning now:

[​IMG]
    Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 74 'Pathétique'. New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein. DG

Wes H, mBen989, Eigenvector and 2 others like this.
  13. George P

One of my faves!!

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  14. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

It's a well-regarded version of the Requiem.

They have the Amadeus 2 CD soundtrack at the local charity shop for $5 and I was about to buy, unfortunately it has a deep scratch across most of the first CD.

mBen989 and George P like this.
  15. George P

I picked mine up after research on the best available performances of the work. Great sound too!

mBen989 and TonyACT like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Curious what you think of the tempo. The performance is around 15 minutes longer than most other performances.
    I think in this case the ultra slow tempo works..... at times.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    TonyACT and George P like this.
  17. George P

The finale on that recording is devastating.

TonyACT likes this.
  18. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

It works for me, but I'm already a big Bernstein fan and I know this recording's reputation for its tempo. I'll have to give it a second listen sometime. I'm surprised it's 15 minutes longer than average, that's huge! This one is slower but it doesn't feel that slow.

19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Peter Serkin
    CPE Bach
    Sonatas, Rondos and Fantasias fur Kenner und Liebhaber
    Vivace, 2020
    6 CDs
    There are 37 works here on a modern piano, recorded March 2018.
    [​IMG]

20. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 5; Scenes adapted from ...Pilgrim's Progress
    Martyn Brabbins
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Hyperion, 2020
    There seems to be a fine performance of the Symphony No. 5 here if you can get past the recorded sound. The balance is not good, the double basses sound tubby, while the upper strings are strident, the mids are recessed. My guess is the acoustics of Watford Colosseum. Overall the basic sound is recessed and distant.

Didn't they put Stokowski in Watford for some of his last recordings on Columbia with a pickup orchestra called the National Philharmonic? I thought it sounded terrible.
    [​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  21. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Perhaps I may be opening a can of worms here. But I want to take a leap into The Ring Of The Niebelungen.

Can anyone recommend:

A) A good DVD or blu-ray set of the complete cycle. I want to get the visuals.
    B) A good instrumental highlights disc if one exits.

I understand that the Solti Ring is excellent for audio but before I leap in, I would be happy to hear other suggestions if you care to do so.

Thank you all in advance!!

22. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Solti is well-recommended. I would take a look at the Karl Böhm Ring cycle as well. It was recorded live, and while the Bayreuth Festival Orchestra can't compete technically with the VPO, Böhm always had a firm handle on the big works and this massive cycle is no exception. He has great soloists too, and sometimes that live energy adds something the studio runthroughs are missing.

Hawkman and TonyACT like this.
  23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Have fun leaping. I started with the complete Karajan ring on CD, not as popular nowadays but I enjoyed it.

I don't have a video to recommend sorry, but have enjoyed instrumental highlights discs by Klemperer and Stokowski. They are in boxed sets with other CDs so not sure if they are available separately.

Hmm - seems I'm not much help :cool:

Hawkman likes this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

That should be a treat. I heard him in recital a couple of times, and I found him to be a wonderful Bach pianist. Granted C.P.E. isn't the same as J.S. by any stretch, but I'd still expect good things.

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

I think your instinct to get the visuals is spot on; in fact, it's the only way I'd go were I starting from scratch. I never cared for Wagner at all until I saw the Live From The Met broadcasts back in--oh, I guess it was the early '90s or so. I'd always found his music overblown and excessive, and to some extent I still do (he was an awful human being, simply awful, and I think that comes through clearly in his music), but once coupled to the stage action what had been "too much of a bad thing" was revealed as highly effective theater. Wagner wrote opera as a seamless whole, music and stage action fused into a single entity, and divorcing the former from the latter inevitably is deleterious.

I think this is the one I saw: https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Nibel...words=levine+wagner+dvd&qid=1610508380&sr=8-1

There may be better out there, but it worked for me.

[edit] I would also advise avoiding any of those annoying director's vanity productions that try to "update" the setting by dropping into the Washington Metro or dressing the characters in a mix of Victorian and Beatnik garb or whatnot. One thing I liked about the Met production was that it was old-fashioned traditional to a T.

Hawkman likes this.