Ethernet Cables in for evaluation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Puma Cat, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Plenty of us who are very well informed on ethernet technology, and it has diddly squat to do with anything you are on about

jimbutsu likes this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Please tell me what am I on about when I say I have ordered a CAT8 cable to replace an old CAT5 serving part of my network just to have to cope with the endless idiotic comments -including yours- criticizing my purchase?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  3. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Where you said: So the different Ethernet standards don't exist, a CAT5 compliant cable is as good as a CAT6, CAT7 or CAT8 cable? Is just all the same, right? The answer is yes for audio purposes. Cat8 has extra shielding to allow the massively higher frequency of emerging high data speeds. If that shielding prevents some kind of noise affecting the DAC that might be one thing , but it won't alter the actual data being transferred to alter the sound. The cable is transferring information, not audio signals, the dac is what is decoding that information to audio so analogue cable rules/beliefs are not going to apply in the same way it might for phono cables etc. Not entirely certain what the reason you think cat8 will do for you as couldn't spot it in recent pages but it's of no benefit to TCP transmission of audio data in a home setting, but if it makes you happy, enjoy.

subzro and jimbutsu like this.
  4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I am simply modernizing my installation, if it brings any improvement to the sound it'll be most welcome, if it doesn't I still won't regret the purchase.
    The cable I am replacing is about 12 years old or more, and completely outdated by current speed standards.

Eventually, I want to replace the switches for 10Gb ones to have a faster network and data transfer. Judging by what happens here when I buy a mere cable, it seems I will have to ask permission from some members before changing the switch too.

Did you get people waiting in line to bash you when you went from dial up to ADSL or updated your computer?

I am sure you didn't and yet, many people here think it is ok to attack my purchase of a non audiophile CAT8 Ethernet cable on Amazon and what is it to anybody what I do with my own money?:crazy:

jeff kleinberg and mikeyt like this.
  5. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

You know you've been in a thread too long when other posters deride you and conflate you for the OP.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

That depends on what's being said. Certainly, in the UK, anything that's advertised can't be any old made up woowoo to flog a product. If something falls foul of advertisiing standards or legislation, the ad - and hence the corresponding claims - are pulled.

7. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

It's a bad thing when it's a grift.

The Killer Piglet likes this.
  8. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

If only Her Majesty would reclaim the Americas and restore control!

Grift, graft, fools are fools and there's gold in them Audiophole Hills, ya' know?

jimbutsu likes this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Oh God forbid!

Personally, I feel we very much need another independent country to add to the existing list...

10. Jinjuku

Jinjuku Well-Known Member

12 year old cabling, if it's CAT cabling, is guaranteed to almost be CAT5e or CAT6. CAT5 hasn't really been an option for 20 years.

CAT5E is good for 147 feet at 10GBe. That's ~1500 24/192 PCM streams concurrent. 2.5 and 5Gb is still 328 feet.

Lets not throw stones about who knows what about CATx cabling.

subzro and jimbutsu like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I get rid of my ethernet and wet back to RS232 with a null modem cable.

vwestlife and jimbutsu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.