Band Name Origins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

It's true that you learn something new everyday on this forum.
    I do anyway.
    Just a short time ago forum member Two Sheds told me that Them got their name from the great sci-fi flick ' Them '.

We all know The Beatles and the flaming pie story , I suppose but what about other groups? Where did their names originate from ?

2. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Led Zeppelin ~¨Going over like a lead balloon!¨

Attributed variously to: Keith Moon or John Entwhistle.

3. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Jethro Tull `~ A 18th Century, Oxford-educated Industrialist who invented the Seed Drill in 1701.

4. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

The Zombies, according to Rod Argent: "Well, we chose that name in 1962 and, I mean, I knew vaguely that they were: sort of, you know, the Walking Dead from Haiti and Colin didn't even really know what they were. It was [original bass guitarist] Paul [Arnold] that came up with the name. I don't know where he got it from. He very soon left the band after that. I thought this was a name that no one else is going to have. And I just liked the whole idea of it. Colin was wary, I'm sure, at the beginning, I know, but I always, always really, really liked it."

A weird name at that time, I guess.

ARK, Buddybud, pablo fanques and 8 others like this.
  5. Devin

Devin Time's Up

On the 28th of April 1991 Noel Gallagher traveled to the Oasis Leisure Centre in Swindon (southwest England) while working as a roadie for the band Inspiral Carpets. Liam Gallagher, who had come along to the gig, was taken with the name Oasis, and he suggested to Noel that it would make a good name for their own band, which was then called The Rain.

Noel, not surprisingly, wasn't immediately convinced by the idea (he thought it sounded more like the name of a reggae band). But ultimately he acquiesced.

ARK, Buddybud, Saint Johnny and 11 others like this.
  6. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Eagles, according to the most reliable source, the band was with photographer Henry Diltz in the California desert for the photo shoot for their debut album. They had driven over after an L.A. show and had done peyote (and I’m sure some other substances) around a campfire prior to the shoot. If you look at their faces on the album cover, you can clearly see that they are not, shall we say, completely sober.

During the shoot, Glenn Frey was in the bushes relieving himself when an eagle did a close fly-by and thus the name was born.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    ARK, Buddybud, pablo fanques and 8 others like this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Three words: steam-powered dildo ;)

8. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

Ozric Tentacles -- an imaginary kids' breakfast cereal that was a running gag. They could have been called Desmond Whisps which might have actually been a funnier name.

9. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

The Loving Spoonful, 10cc and Thin White Rope all named after a substance that can be produced by the male human body

10. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

11. Two Sheds

The Jam - one story is that they got their name from the lunchtime 'jams' the group played at school. Another story has it that, at breakfast one day, Paul Weller's younger sister said "We've had the Bread, we've had the Marmalade, let's have the Jam!"

12. Two Sheds

Small Faces - had no name yet, but one of their friends said to them "Cor! You've all got Small Faces!"

Buddybud, pablo fanques, Sean and 4 others like this.
  13. Two Sheds

Freddie and the Dreamers - one of Freddie Garrity's neighbors asked him if the group had a name yet. He said no. She replied "You're a right lot of Dreamers!"

14. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The Doobie Brothers got their moniker from a non member of the band. They'd been going by the somewhat unsavory name Pud & were considering a name change to the Red Devils. Well, they were in the house on 12th St in San Jose getting stoned one night, smoking pot. They always called joints doobies & when a friend named Keith Rosen, aka "Dino" said that night that they smoked so many doobies that they should call themselves the Doobie Brothers they fell out laughing & said "What a dopey idea! Wait, what, dopey!?! Dope! That's perfect!" And thus a band name was born. :D

15. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Mott The Hoople from the Willard Manus novel

The Boo Ridley’s from a character in To Kill a Mockingbird

16. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

The New York band The Velvet Underground, founded in 1965, was named after the book.

[​IMG]

17. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

808 State from a Roland drum machine

The Pretty Things from a Willie Dixon song

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Deep Purple based on a song with the same name that Blackmore's grandmother loved.

Buddybud, Sean, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  19. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Reminds me of the story about a record company exec having the "bright" idea to have Bread tour with Jelly. Thank goodness the Peanut Butter Conspiracy had broken up...

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Rolling Stones, name based on 'Rollin' Stone', a blues by Muddy Waters.
    Obviously, Rolling Stone magazine got the name from the same song few years later, too...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  21. Bhobb

Bhobb Crate Digger

Throbbing Gristle. Yorkshire slang for an erection

22. Two Sheds

The Moody Blues - got their inspiration from the Birmingham brewery, Mitchells & Butler's. The group tried unsuccessfully to get some kind of sponsorship from Mitchell & Butler's, and for a time went by the name of 'The M & B Five.' They were pretty much obsessed with the initials MB at that point and set out to find a name using them. Blues came rather easily as they were playing blues music, and moody followed shortly thereafter.

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I don't know that flaming pie story. Tell me more please

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I thought it was for the Slim Harpo song "Moody blues"

25. Two Sheds

The Animals - had no name, but played such raucous shows that the audience had referred to them as 'Animals.'

The Hollies - inspired in part by holly (as they had come together at Christmastime) and Buddy Holly (a major influence on the group).

The Yardbirds - you would think Charlie Parker was the inspiration, but it seems Keith Relf found the term 'yardbird' while reading the collected works of Jack Kerouac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.