Band Name Origins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James I

James I Forum Resident

I always wondered this... xD

2. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

John's Children had previously been named the Silence. Their manager, Simon Napier-Bell (former Yardbirds manager), renamed the group to put bassist John Hewlett's name in the name of the group. As Hewlett was the least gifted musically of all the members of the group, this move was meant to protect him from being ousted (original guitarist Geoff McClelland had already been fired to make way for the more talented Marc Bolan).

3. Jmac1516

Jmac1516 Forum Resident

Van Der Graaf Generator. Self explanatory.

4. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

MFSB, an acronym of Mother, Father, Sister, Brother. But also Mother F@cker Son of a B!tch.

5. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Fine Young Cannibals named after the movie All the Fine Young Cannibals which is not a horror movie.

6. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

From what I just read, though your info is correct, your timeline is slightly off, as Napier-Bell named them John's Children before Bolan took McClelland's place, though he did name them after Hewlett for the reason you cited.

7. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Ah, I hadn't realized the Steely Dan Dildo was also an invention of/homage to William Burroughs! Thanks for connecting the dots.

8. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Not an origin story but Zappa's "Mothers of Invention" are of couse, necessities. I like to think that it refers to the rest of his band.

9. Dunedin

Dunedin Forum Resident

Level 42 from "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams
    Radiohead from a Talking Heads song from "True Stories"

Adam9, Sean, hi_watt and 1 other person like this.
  10. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

11. WHMusical

Iron Maiden got their name from a Medieval Torture Device!

12. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I thought he got it from actor James Bolam who he shared a flat with before either of them had any fame...

13. James I

James I Forum Resident

I suspect it origin was assyrian.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  14. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

The story goes that Syd had an album by the two of them called "The Pink/Floyd Sound", but I'm not finding it on discogs. Anyone ever seen it?

There's an interview on YouTube where Frank says they were originally just calling themselves The Mothers (as in "motherf***ers") but the label demanded they not go there. Given the originality and inventiveness of Zappa's style, I think the final name was, fortuitously, far more befitting and appropriate.

15. WHMusical

Assyrian? Ancient? or Medieval?

I though it was a Spanish Inquisition invention...

You know, the "Godly" thing to do.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  16. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

And what about them Crickets - named during a garage rehearsal wherein the little bugs were heard chirping along.

17. James I

James I Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia the origin is in Ancient Greece, but I have studied the Middle East and I am sure that in Assyria they already had this type of gadget. Surely from the Middle East it came to Greece through the Hittites.

Likewise, the Spanish Inquisition has a bad reputation but in the rest of Europe this institution was also ingrained, in fact Miguel Servetus was burned for questioning the dogmas in Switzerland.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. WHMusical

Thanks for this information.

As a fellows student of History, I agree there was plenty of ignorance and religious and politically-fueled torture ALL across Europe back in the Middle Ages. I did not mean to single out your beloved and lovely country, I assure you!

PS: Never trust a Hittite bearing gifts!

Saint Johnny and James I like this.
  19. WHMusical

And speaking of religious, another heavy metal band, Judas Priest, got their name from a Bob Dylan song:

"The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest", from John Wesley Harding (1967).

20. James I

James I Forum Resident

I know, you don't need to apologize!

What year are you in? I finished the History degree in 2019, and I started the Patrimony Master but it was totally disappointed...

21. WHMusical

I got my B.A. in History in 1998. I got my Master's Degree in History in 2008.

Both my Senior Project and my Master's Thesis were focused on Music History.

Please see the current 1971 thread for the Thesis briefly explored.

NudieSuitNezHead likes this.
  22. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Green Day - A day devoted to smoking reefer - and they did A LOT of that when they were young.

23. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

My BA degree is also in History!

Saint Johnny, Skydog7 and WHMusical like this.
  24. WHMusical

I'm afraid to think about the band name origins of many of my favorite British Folk-Rock bands, and then realized this timely thread might hold some answers if not clues:

For example: Magna Carta is a great band that obviously got their name from the... well, erm..., Magna Carta, 1215.

But here are sum British band's who's names may have been lost in translation crossing the Trans Atlantic, at least to this punter:

So, please help, what the Hell is a:

Dando Shaft?
    Hedgehog Pie
    Spriguns of Tolgus
    Steeleye Spa
    n
    and a
    Caedmon??

Anyone?

Cheers!

carlwm likes this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Heaven 17 got its name from the Stanley Kubrick movie “A Clockwork Orange”, where in the record shop scene the name appears as “Heaven Seventeen”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.