Band Name Origins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

How about: Quicksilver Messenger Service?

Anyone know it's origin?

2. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

"Hedgehog Pie" sounds like a pastry delicacy made with varmints (those are small animals to those who aren't "country" or who haven't watched Looney Tunes in a few decades). Knowing my luck, it's some kind of code phrase for something completely unrelated ;)

WHMusical likes this.
  3. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

Foghat:
    "A word made up by Dave Peverett (the lead singer of the above-mentioned band) in a game of Scrabble he played with his brother, in which Dave insisted it was a word. While it wasn't a word at the time, it later became the band's name which, to some, may now be an acceptable word for the popular crossword board game."

4. WHMusical

Not sure I got this right:

Big Brother and the Holding Company

Big Brother is the government; the Holding Company is them that gots some weed on them?

5. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Toploader is from unscrupulous persons’ practice of putting all the “action” at the front end of a joint which they, as roller and hence lighter, will get the majority of.

The Pogues is a forced contraction from the original Pogue Mahone, Gaelic for Kiss My ****

pablo fanques and ChoonyFish like this.
  6. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

I always assumed Alabama Shakes was a play on the much earlier Mississippi Sheiks

B52s from nickname for beehive hairstyle

7. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Opeth get their name from a Wilber Smith novel.

The New Zealand band Shihad got their name from Dune when the band misheard jihad as Shihad. This would become ironic when the band had to change their name to Pacificer in 2001 to satisfy their record label in the wake of 9/11.

WHMusical likes this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Dando Shaft is the name of a book, a comedy satire about the titular character, who was an advertising man.

Hedgehog Pie
    is an old Geordie (Newcastle upon Tyne, Northern England) folk song. I think there’s a connection between both or they shared band members, though I’m not sure.

Caedmon
    is one of the oldest English poets c.650 (yes, 7th Century!) from Northumbria.

That’s all I got. Originally being from the north of England they’re the familiar names to me.

9. WHMusical

Very cool news SJR! Thanks for sharing. Caedmon sounds cool. Love the Cd of the 1978 album. Bloodly Brilliant Record That One!!

SJR likes this.
  10. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Is Hedgehog Pie an actual food item?

WHMusical and SJR like this.
  11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Powderfinger from a Neil Young song

Depeche Mode from a French fashion mag

Human League from a board game Starforce Alpha Centauri

The Smiths because it was the most ordinary non pretentious name they could come up with

pablo fanques, ChoonyFish and Jowcol like this.
  12. Jowcol

Jowcol Forum Resident

Back when we were allowed to go to pubs I set some music quizzes in my local. I twice did rounds on this subject and have just found the files. Many have been covered already, but:

SunnO))) - from the amps

Devo - from band members’ theory of de-evolution

Foo Fighters -USAF slang for UFOs

The Fall - Albert Camus novel

Thompson Twins - characters in Tintin stories

Dexy’s etc - Dexedrine

Joy Division - enforced Nazi prostitution

Maccabees - warriors mentioned in the bible

13. WHMusical

I Believe The Bible Advises One Not To Cast Your Pearls Before Swine!

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Go-Betweens from a novel The Go-Between

Mi-Sex named after the Ultravox song My Sex

Icehouse from a old, cold apartment where Iva Davies lived

Soft Cell from a chapter in the book Stand On Zanzibar a 1968 Sci-fi novel

pablo fanques likes this.
  15. WHMusical

Hatfield And The North was/is the signage heading out of LOndon on the M1 know?

ibis, ARL and Jowcol like this.
  16. WHMusical

1. 0PKo
    Last One of the night:

The Decemberists ~~ Named after the December 1917 Russian Revolutionist who brought down the Czar.

17. Geezee

Geezee Forum Resident

Husker Du - from Norwegian of "do you remember"? which i think was because they were shouting as many foreign words as they could at each other and this one stuck, and they also added (either by mistake or not) the heavy metal umlauts.
    This also made me think of an anecdote that Mike Watt recently shared on his podcast that he spent a long time when the Minutemen were formed - maybe a year, i can't remember - thinking that his band was pronounced the Mi-NUTEmen, instead of the MIN-utemen, and that he thought they were called this because they were a small band.
    These kinds of things can get passionate - an early band that i was in literally broke up because we couldn't agree on a name.

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Possibly, back in ye olde days ;) I’ve never heard of anyone eating it, though. It doesn’t sound too appetising!

WHMusical and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  19. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

The Levellers -
    were a political movement during the English Civil War (1642–1651) committed to popular sovereignty, extended suffrage, equality before the law and religious tolerance.

pablo fanques and HorseyAnn like this.
  20. ibis

The Strawbs - formed in 1964 as the Strawberry Hill Boys while the founder members were at St Mary's Teacher Training College, Strawberry Hill, London.

21. ibis

Blackfoot - During the early spring of 1970, the band, after learning of another band on the West Coast named Hammer, decided to change their name to Blackfoot to represent the American Indian heritage of its members: Jakson Spires (from Oklahoma) had a Cheyenne/French father and a Cherokee mother; Rickey Medlocke's father was Lakota Sioux and Blackfoot Indian, and his mother's side is Creek/Cherokee, Scottish and Irish; Greg "Two Wolf" Walker is part Eastern (Muskogee) Creek, a tribe recognized by the state of Florida, but not federally. Charlie Hargrett was the only white man of the original, classic line-up.

22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

As did Moloko..

Adam9, Jamsterdammer and ibis like this.
  23. ibis

Max Webster - Many theories abound about the origin of the band's name. Some have reported that it came from a random flip in the phone book, naming the band after a snow shoe and dog food, to a friend of Kim Mitchell's named Max living on Webster Drive. But Mitchell himself has said it originated from Mike Tilka's old band, who did a song called "Webster." The band was looking for a name similar to Jethro Tull, a name that no one in the band had.

24. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Marillion is derived from the Tolkien book 'The Simarillion'.

25. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

I read somewhere that Skip Spence had something to do with it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.