Band Name Origins

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Hedgehog is gypsy food. Bake the hedgehog in clay and when the clay is removed the spines come out with it.

pablo fanques, Essan, SJR and 3 others like this.
  2. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Skip introduced Tom Johnston & John Hartman. John had moved west to California with bassist Greg Murphy to try to reform Moby Grape, as he was a Grape fanatic. He hooked up with Skip, who didn't want to reform Moby Grape, but who got him connected with Tom.

Tom, John & Greg formed Pud as a power trio, with Skip occasionally sitting in with them, but never has a full time member. Greg Murphy left, Skip faded from the scene & Dave Shogren joined up on bass. Then the trio met Pat Simmons, & from there they changed the name just as I said.

The way I laid out their name change is directly as both Pat & Tommy have told it many times. Skip Spence had nothing to do with it from all I've read going back 40+ years.

3. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Thanks for the info..

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  4. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

The Mamas & The Papas: The group watched a documentary on the Hell's Angels, and there was a segment where a guy said (more or less) "some people call our women bad, we just call them mama's" and that resonated with the group and they found their name.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The Tragically Hip took its name from a skit found in Michael Nesmith's Elephant Parts movie.

pablo fanques, Adam9, ARK and 2 others like this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Thought it was cool that ' Magical Mystery Tour ' was one of the albums displayed in that scene.
    The ' 2001 A Space Odyssey ' album too!

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Steeleye Span is a character from the traditional folk song, Horkstow Grange, collected by Percy Grainger from George Goldthorpe, of Barrow-on-Humber, Lincolnshire, in 1906.

John "Steeleye" Span was apparently a waggoner who worked at a farm in Horkstow, a Lincolnshire village, who according to the song, got into a fight with his foreman John Bowlin.

The song wasn't ever collected anywhere else so is likely to be a record - allegedly by John Span, himself - of the local cause celebre. :)

Spriguns, according to folklore, are unpleasant Cornish sprites that inhabit, among other places, the Tolgus tin mine, near the Cornish town of Redruth.

Hope this helps! :righton:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Gasman1003 and WHMusical like this.
  8. Why was he so keen to keep Hewlett in the band, though?

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The Residents has no name when they sent their 'demo-tape' to Hal Haverstadt of Warner Bros.
    He sent the tape back, and addressed it to: RESIDENTS, with a note that said, 'sorry, but no deal.'
    And, I, for one, cannot blame him....and, I'm a FAN!!

10. Audio surrealists Nurse With Wound got their name via the cut-up method, pulling words out of a hat until they produced a name the original members could all live with.

11. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Now that I honestly dunno!

All I knew about the band before they popped up in this thread was their name & the Mark Bolan connection. So, since I was curious, I looked them up on Wikipedia & found this reference, which in the article was pre-Bolan:

He named the band after its bass player because he played so badly and Napier-Bell wanted to be sure the band would not fire him.

And here's the link to the page it came from, but there's no additional info as to why:

John's Children

12. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

A Clockwork Orange is full of fascinating references. Somewhat off topic: Few people realize that the slang used by the droogs (which, by the way, was also the name of an American rock group from L.A.) invented by writer Anthony Burgess is all derived from Russian. For example, "droog" comes from the Russian word for "friend", "moloko" is "milk" in Russian, "gulliver" refers to the Russian word "golova", which means "head", etc.

13. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Just one more way in which Mike Nesmith has influenced rock music!!!

jas621, Skydog7, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

The title of which was of course lifted from William Blake's "Marriage of Heaven and Hell."

15. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Interesting... I've always wondered about this lyric from Elton John's 'Country Comfort'.

"Now the old fat goose is flying 'cross the sticks...
    The hedgehog's done in clay between the bricks."

16. funhouse

funhouse Senior Member

"We take the star from Heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing liberty." ~George Washington

17. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

The perfect musician. That famous sense of humour was icing on the cake.

Chance and NudieSuitNezHead like this.
  18. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The name of the band Math And Physics Club is a reference to something Anthony Michael Hall says in the 1985 movie The Breakfast Club.

pablo fanques, ARK and BMac19 like this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It was actually some Blind Boy Fuller LP that mentioned the two blues musicians in the back cover's liner notes.
    Blind Boy Fuller - Country Blues 1935-1940

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Chance, funhouse and Bluesman Mark like this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The Knopfler brothers and two of their friends had financial problems when starting a band, so they simply called themselves Dire Straits.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Weren't Heaven 17 one of the names of bands mention in the movie? It's been a while since I saw it.

sleepjar and Jamsterdammer like this.
  22. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

That's correct. I don't think they were actually mentioned, but you can see the name written as "Heaven Seventeen" among a list of band names in the record store scene.

23. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Yes, they are mentioned when one young lady asks the other what she's going to buy and names 3 bands. Another name mentioned is Johnny Zhivago. Can't remember the third.

24. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

Radiohead is from a Talking Heads song on the album True Stories called Radio Head.

25. sleepjar

sleepjar Underachiever

In the same shot where 2001 and MMT appear, one can also see After the Gold Rush and Atom Heart Mother.

pablo fanques likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.