Very Strange Ebay Situation

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by soam, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soam

soam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an interesting scenario I thought I would get some groupthink on. About a week ago I received an unsolicited record in the email, value of about $150. No note, invoice, or charge to my record. I managed to track the seller down on Facebook using the return address on the package; I wanted to know who had sent it to me. He was very appreciative of my note and said that somehow my name had gotten associated with the order and he was not sure how but he was pursuing with Ebay. Meanwhile, he asked if he could pay shipping if I could send it back to him. None of this is a problem for me, but it got me wondering if this is a potentially common problem with Ebay?

I should add my first inclination is always a scam, but it would seem very odd that someone would send an expensive record on the off change I would track them down to return it.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

High volume sellers make mistakes. I've switched labels on two boxes in the past. But, how did he get your address to begin with?

Dave likes this.
  3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Would a re-used mailer have entered the picture? Maybe something you sent to either party, or even a third party that used the other side of the mailer?

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Did you buy something else from the person who shipped it to you?

If not, there should not be any chance of that happening? Label printing is automated from eBay. If this is a huge seller, it's possible that they use a third party shipping integration platform. But even then, it shouldnt' really be possible UNLESS you bought something else form them and they switched or duplicated shipping labels by mistake.

5. soam

soam Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's what makes it so weird. I haven't bought anything on Ebay for at least 6 months and never from this seller that I am aware of.

6. Bedlam Inside

Bedlam Inside Member

Very strange. I've never had this issue, glad the seller was good with you though!

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Good for you doing the right thing.
    Seems a rarity these days.

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.