Unique qualities of a purely tube sound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sa likes this and, Jan 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Was that picture placed there with a particular intention in mind:whistle:

2. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yes, I like to look at it.

3. Uglyversal

I thought it had to do with the disapproving wife look she is giving to the speakers.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

True, but there are so many other differences too, often choke input power supplies and film capacitors for the power supply instead of electrolytics, high voltage dramatically increases the capacitor charge since it is based on the square of the voltage, output transformers and often just a small amount of feedback to keep the output impedance in check, etc. I have built solid state amps with some of these design attributes and it does narrow the gap, so I agree.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

So do I great system Otlset!

SandAndGlass, Otlset and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Otlset

Hmmm, and all this time I thought she was looking at me approvingly as I changed records. I've heard Vermeer was into horns though.

SandAndGlass, Uglyversal and jonwoody like this.
  7. Otlset

From the listening seat.

[​IMG]

Ro-Go, Three quid, bever70 and 10 others like this.
  8. jonwoody

I would agree with this wholeheartedly I've heard tube amps that didn't sound very tubelike at all and finally found my dream amp of the last 15 years. It's pushpull but it's Class A, triode wired, choke filtered, and uses vintage Accrosound output transformers. That to me was and is the tube sound I was looking for and I find it as I described earlier with an additional quality dimensionality that I left out.

Otlset likes this.
  9. jonwoody

BTW I am looking at your system approvingly so to hell with Vermeer's chick. :D

SandAndGlass, Uglyversal and Otlset like this.
  10. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Ah, The Girl With the Pearl Earring.

SandAndGlass, Otlset and jonwoody like this.
  11. Uglyversal

They look lovely from both sides,.

SandAndGlass, jonwoody and Otlset like this.
  12. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

Well I was trying to keep it simple and not too much on the technical side.
    But I agree with what your observations are here.
    Telefunkin tubes=tight clean sound
    Mullard tubes=loose bass with a full fat midrange (that English sound like Vox amps)
    Amprex=happy Goldilocks right in the middle
    So for an example in synergy you take a tube amp with pre,pre driver for instance like a 12AU7 and make that a Telefunkin. Then the other 2 pre's say are 12AX7's make them Amprex Bugle Boys and now you have something wonderful feeding the driver tubes like KT120's(which will carry forward whatever flavor they are fed) The bass is still not tight tho so best of both worlds, take the tube amp for the highs and mids and a EQ powered sub for the bass at say 80 Hz. Married to some efficient speakers and it's LOVE!
    Twinkling highs
    Liquid mids
    Tight authorities bass
    Gorgeous decays
    It just feels good to your brain, but is it good for all types of music like most SS systems?
    No.
    I did this with a Carver 275 tube amp and a set of Hersey II's with a Mirage powered and EQ'd sub. I loved it but someone else loved it more so I sold it. I did just get another 275 tho.:whistle::love:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

This makes no sense. If you like tubes, fine. But everyone knows that tubes color the sound. By definition basically...

14. jonwoody

Who is this everyone you you speak of?

Jim13, SandAndGlass and doctor fuse like this.
  15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is this somehow a surprise to you?

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Do you not think vinyl colors the sound too?

Whay and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Tubes add harmonic distortion. I brains decode this like we do in nature when we listen to tell distances and location of something. It's a false addition, but an addition our brains know very well because of evolution. So, maybe it emphasizes something that's already in the recording, and/or adds some sense of spatial relationships that is not in the original recording, but it does sound more real. I like tubes for power and preamp. I don't have a tube phono preamp, though.

Sa likes this and likes this.
  18. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

girl with a pearl earring definitely approves! :). I mean look at the size of that pearl, lol, she knows what's up.

jonwoody likes this.
  19. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Nice! Should sound great, provided the speakers aren't too difficult to drive.

20. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Low sensitivity but benign load. I don't listen loud. If the combo doesn't work unfortunately the amp will definitely go as I am v. happy with the ATCs!

21. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I think the load is the main thing, given my success powering PMC and Spendor speakers with the Sugden. But yeah, only way to know is to give it a shot.

22. Uglyversal

There was a guy from Germany complaining here that he wasn't happy with the combination Sudgen/PMC.

23. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Is it a maxim that tubes add harmonic distortion? Or just more audible harmonic distortion than SS, maybe? I always thought it was WHEN they clip, they add heavy doses of audible harmonic distortion. The classic euphonic "tube sound". Even order, low harmonics. Whereas when SS clips, we all know how unpleasant THAT is.

Do I have this wrong?

SandAndGlass and coolhandjjl like this.
  24. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

A more realistic 3-d sound vs. flat.

JohnK

Jim13, Peterr, doctor fuse and 2 others like this.
  25. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

A quick glance at a lab test I could find easily (McIntosh MC275 MKVI valve power amp) suggests not for a power amp stage - the odd-ordered harmonics are louder than the even-ordered.

Same for an Icon Audio integrated amp.

So seems it's a myth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.