Spiral BBC4

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Doghouse Riley, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone watching this?

I've watched all the series, it's the best detective drama on TV. I can put up with the subtitles as it's a French series.

It's series eight. all ten episodes are on i>Player.

I was amused at a scene in episode four.

A scene in this has one of the main characters Laure, with an anxious look on her face, walking the streets of Paris at night, to moody background music, looking for her lover, who has failed to turn up for an arranged meeting.

Err... haven't we seen that before?

Jeane Moreau with an anxious look on her face, walking the streets of Paris at night, to moody background music, looking for her lover, who has failed to turn up for an arranged meeting.

At least they didn't use the same Miles Davis music.

TV drama directors, often like to have their little "in jokes." Which for many, may go unnoticed.

For example, in an episode of Endeavour where a murder is committed in a cinema, they interview an attractive blonde usherette, whose name we are told is Betty Perske, (the original name of Lauren Bacall).

bobcat and Brenald79 like this.
  2. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I love 'Spiral'. Haven't seen series 8 yet. When we noticed that the first seven were up on iPlayer, we decided to watch them all from the beginning, and it's interesting to note the change in style between the seasons. The mad zoom setting up some scenes from the first series has thankfully gone, Just started season 5, and I remember the scene from s.4, but have to admit the Jeanne Moreau homage isn't one I'd have picked up.

3. Doghouse Riley

What impressed me was that the outdoor scenes of Paris were "warts and all." Also the chaos for the city's administrators with the continual influx of under age migrants.
    The homage scene is in episode 4 of the present series, 8. All ten epuisodes are on i>player.

There's a new judge, an attractive female and she's as sharp as a tack.

I think this will be the last series.

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Have watched some of it over the years. The French legal system terrifies me.

However, the redhead lawyer lady...wow!!!:love:

5. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It's a great show, with a perspective of Paris that most are lucky not to see. Even if they are arguably the worst cops on the planet, they are undoubtedly the most dedicated. The redhead, yeah. Women's prison! Looking forward to the new season in iPlayer, though I will miss their go-to judge.

6. Doghouse Riley

7. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

My parents lent me the first 5 series on dvd - I think we're through the first 3, but yeah it's really good. I'm not sure the subplots involving the judge are always necessary, but they do no harm.

8. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

[QUOTE="daglesj
    However, the redhead lawyer lady...wow!!!:love:[/QUOTE]

I always think she looks really Irish...and then she starts speaking French!

9. Doghouse Riley

Of course in the "wow" department neither are as good as Eddie Janko in Blue Bloods.

10. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I didn't get that one, but I'm starting to find the Endeavour in-jokes grating. Some of them (like the Kate Bush one in "Prey"-you can probably work it out from that) are real mood killers.

11. Doghouse Riley

I too thought the Betty Persky one was a bit laboured, as if Roger Allam was uncomfortable saying it. After all, it is supposed to be a serious drama.

12. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

It's no Sutherland's Law, for sure. The line between judge and prosecutor is pretty fine. And the cops' ID is a flimsy armband that reads "Police."

13. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I love it--finishing season 5 at the moment. I think it's very well acted and written. And in reference to another thread, not all of the the actors/actresses are knockdown handsome or gorgeous--they look like real people for the most part. Well, Josephine Karlsson is mighty fine looking, and my wife thinks Pierre Clement is quite a hunk. Laure always looks like she needs a shower and a change of clothes!

MrGrumpy likes this.
  14. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

looks like it may be on Amazon Prime here in the states? will check it out!

15. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Yes, that’s where I’m watching it.

scott palmiter likes this.
  16. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I don't get the sense that personal hygiene is a priority for any of them.

I wish they could do a quick recap from season 7. How the hell am I supposed to remember why Gilou is in jail?

Klavier likes this.
  17. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

I’m on Season 2, so far so good.

18. YoGarrett

YoGarrett Forum Resident

Great show. I watched the first two seasons (the Gustave Moreau-inspired serial killer and a middle eastern gang?) years ago, but lost track of it. Excited to see there's another six seasons for me to catch up with.

19. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Just finished Season 1 on Amazon Prime based on a suggestion by a member of this forum.

Liked it and will continue on.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It's a terrific show.

21. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Season 3 for me is when it really hits its stride (not that the first 2 seasons are bad) and each season just gets better. Some absolutely superb characters in this.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  22. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I just binge re-watched the first seven series in preparation for series 8.

Series 8 great so far, but I'm a little sad that my favourite character Judge Roban, and his Gallic Shrug, is not in this series.

23. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Bit of a spoiler there!

Klavier likes this.
  24. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

I’m glad you said that I finished S2 last night and starting S3 today.

25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Just finished Ep. 5 of the final season. No spoilers here, but someone in the episode mentioned "office politics," which pretty much sums up the entire show. But there's usually a lot of blood and guts to go with it. This season, there's a lot of talk, some awkward romances (can't the French do this better?), and not a lot of action. Prepare for lengthy asides about cell phones and tracking devices.

Plotwise, I hate that slimy little Moroccan kid, don't care about Gilou's new direction though I can see where it's going, and am bored with the career prospects of a relatively new addition to the squad. Laure looks terrible while trying to be nicer. There's a hot new judge in town - no surprises what happens there, though she does pull off a cool chess move. The only other piece of eye candy is Lola, but she's a minor character, and her subplot - a vestige from last season - is buried so deep. The redhead is spinning her wheels playing babysitter, as is everyone really.

I miss Tintin. He provided some moral gravity. As usual, the other guys in the squad (incl. the Gallic version of Creed Bratton) are just decorative.

I find myself pressing pause a lot - as I am now - to go off and play some chess or clean the house, or something.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.