Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

If you can afford it and want an US record cleaner I can't see what there is to be on the fence about at this point. It's simply the best available for numerous reasons and it's a product that has a greater unanimity of happy owners that most products I've seen. As far as combining aesthetics, functionality and performance it's practically produced a new class of record cleaner all by itself. Now others are playing catch up. I can't think of reading anyone who wasn't overall happy they bought one.

Wired4Fun and Drew769 like this.
  2. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I won't argue about the aesthetics but it is $1 of plastic that does the cleaning in $79 of nicely machined aluminum to hold it.

3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I think it's ridiculously expensive, and splurging on it might mean that I have to survive on ramen noodles (the cheap ones) if I live past 90, but I love it.

Drew769 likes this.
  4. sharkshark

sharkshark ThatShelf

Most seem happy, but if you're really bored you can dig into my video reviews (and others' as well, of course)

5. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I was thinking the other day that if I clean 1000 LPs, then it's about $3 per record. If I were buying new vinyl, the improvement in sound is easily worth the extra $3. Honestly, I have so much invested in my system that this is very justifiable. I'd say it's system dependent whether it's worth the cost or not.

RC2257 and bloodlemons like this.
  6. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

When I say jacket, I mean the outer sleeve, not on the actual record cover.

RC2257, Fractured and MartyTem like this.
  7. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

I’ve had my Degritter now for about 2 months. The other night when I went to start a cleaning cycle, the Degritter started a “maintenance “ cycle. During the cycle, you can hear a bunch of clicks and probably lasted about 30sec. Has this happened to anyone else here?

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is normal. Look at this review here:

Degritter Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine - The Audiophile Man

terzinator, bloodlemons and Dre327 like this.
  9. Dre327

Dre327 Well-Known Member

5-String likes this.
  10. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

Changing water, and cleaning filters every 30-50 records, I'm about 300 lps through with degritter. Great results, and so convenient. Cleaning all new record in medium mode and all second hand a extra dirty records in heavy mode, I don't even wipe them before or clean them in okki nokki anymore, actually i sold my okki nokki pretty fast. Just bought another 10 packs of mofi sleeves. Slowly but surely replacing and re-cleaning all my records, and even those i cleaned in okki nokki. Marking all my cleaned lps on my discog collection, So i dont get confused on whats clean and whats not. I also bought 30 ppi filter from amazon, but not used it yet, changing and using all originals first. I throw them out every 200 lps, or will be doing.

Does anyone using their adapters ? I don't really collect 7inch but i do have a few 10inch lps, so I just bought 10inch adapter.

jboersma likes this.
  11. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I like your thinking on this! I'm still cataloguing, but I've got at least 1500 discs here, and it takes me 15-20 minutes to clean one with my RCM and 4-step regime (2 cleaners, 2 rinses). Is my time worth $6-9/hour (to me)? Hell, yes!

(Granted, it'd be a better argument if I hadn't already put the time in to clean over 1000 of those discs... :sigh: But, nonetheless, there's still about 500 to go, and surely there will be more! And, hey, I'll probably appreciate the Degritter even more, having done so many "the hard way" before.)

12. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Which filter material did you buy? I can’t find any cylindrical filters without a hole in the center.

13. terzinator

I wonder if you could just buy any 30ppi filter material (if that's what the degritter filter is), cut off an old golf club shaft and use it like a cookie cutter to make a cylinder shape.

14. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

I Bought filter material, will find a tube same diameter as a metal mesh inside that hold filter and cut in shape. thats all.

bloodlemons likes this.
  15. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

In buying mine I figured that I wanted clean records both for better sound and for preserving the life of my cartridge, and I didn't want to make record cleaning a second hobby/chore. I also figured that for many of us audiophiles 3 grand isn't atypical for a new piece of gear or equipment upgrade, so given this acts as a sonic upgrade to my system (clean records) and extends the life of the stylus, what the heck. It's an upgrade that will (or should) last for many years.

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I'm curious to know if any of you are using the supplied surfactant and switching tanks for a rinse cycle? If so, have you evaluated how much surfactant residue starts to accumulate in the "rinse" tank and how quickly? (It would seem to me that just replacing the water in the rinse tank very frequently would be the easiest solution to what may not be a problem, but I'm curious). TIA.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  17. terzinator

Just did my 60th clean, and did a de-gas, and started to clean the next record... before the cycle started it showed a "Machine Maintenance" message for about 15 seconds, and made some clicking sounds.

Looked in manual and online, and not seeing anything.

Is this a regular operation every 60 cleaning cycles?

18. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Yes. I'm pretty sure it's in the manual.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  19. terzinator

Weird, can't find it. (Did a search for the word "maintenance" in the PDF and nothing.)

Evergreen. :)

20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Now I can't find it either. I may have seen it in this thread or on the Degritter website and just thought it was in the manual. I've seen it a few times on my machine so I think every 60 cycles is right. It cycles the jets, I think, to clean them.

21. terzinator

Yeah, i'll be honest, i've forgotten about 20 of this thread's 21 pages worth of content.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I just posted about maintenance earlier today, just above answering a question of Dre327. It is not in the manual.

RC2257, bloodlemons and terzinator like this.
  23. terzinator

haha, i'm really good at reading i swear

5-String likes this.
  24. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Okay, I searched this thread and r.DIN posted the information June 3, 2020 about the Maintenance message every 60 cycles. It came as part of a software update. That's why it's not in the manual.

Version 2.2.9v8
    06/03/2020
    Change log
    – CRITICAL fix for stripes of dust on the record
    The water flow dynamics causing the dust stripes have been more complicated that we initially anticipated. The issue fixed by the 2.2.0 version was not the only thing affecting the dust removal. The record revolution direction and movements affect it as well. The software 2.2.9 version improves it by changing the record revolution direction and the way the record moves.

– Water level adjustments while the record is being washed
    On rare occasions the water level can drift a bit. In order to make it more precise, the machine will automatically adjust it if necessary during the washing cycle. Clicking valves can be heard while the adjustments are being made.

– Fix for incorrect remaining time
    Occasionally the machine could count down to 0:00 and keep drying fans running for another 10s.

– Reminder for Filter Change
    Every 50 washing cycles, the machine will now prompt a reminder to clean the water filter.

– Automatic maintenance program
    After every 60 washing cycles the machine will automatically run a 30s maintenance cycle to clean the valves.

– Water removal during drying
    On longer drying programs, the machine will check and additionally remove water from the ultrasonic cleaning tank every 2 min.

– Improved clock accuracy
    The machine will use an external clock source to ensure that the machine’s second length corresponds to universal time.

– Improved sensor accuracy when emptying ultrasonic tank
    On rare cases the maintenance free water level sensing leaves water at the bottom of the ultrasonic tank. This improvement resolves the issue.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    terzinator likes this.
  25. terzinator

Has anyone here had their Degritter long enough to have to do a software update? Download the file to an SD card, and install it in the machine?

(Yeah, I'll bet it's in the thread somewhere!)