Japan - Quiet Life Deluxe (Jan 2020?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BigManRestless, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Tracks like Communist China and Suburban Berlin ARE mind blowing indeed !

art, Demiurge88 and sound chaser like this.
  2. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

It’s funny how you mention Kraftwerk , another band ashamed of there early career , a bit like Japan but especially Sylvian.
    Bowie was like this with his very 1st album until 1999 when he incorporated tracks for
    His live performances!

3. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

It’s been like pulling teeth waiting for this release. Hopefully it’s not too far off now.

It’s been interesting reading people’s stories about how they got into Japan. For me it was when I was around 10 years old, 1981, when I used to tune into the UK Top 40 on the radio on a Sunday afternoon. Heard this song I thought was just awful - it was too different to what I was used to and I didn’t think I liked it. It was a bit weird. Next week it climbed the charts and they played it again and I thought - there’s that awful song again, which... I think I’m starting to like. Which has been a lesson for me in life - stick with something unusual, because you might fall in love. That song was Quiet Life.

I was obsessed with Japan for the rest of the 80s - used to go to the fan club get-togethers at the 100 Club in London, despite the fact I lived in the middle of nowhere and it took forever to get there. Such an important band for me, growing up. Still mean a lot to me now. Never saw them live unfortunately.

4. PES

PES Forum Resident

One thing I find amusing is the commercial progression of the wanna be's. As I understand it, first Japan wanted to be like John Foxx era Ultravox. I believe Japan was more succesful. Then Duran Duran wanted to be like Japan. No doubt there as to which band was the Topper of the Popper. All three bands were fine in their own right, but you have to wonder if the Duran Duran fans ever bothered to walk back through that chain to hear what the original inspiration was.

5. timtunes

timtunes Forum Resident

6. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

The feedback on discogs for the "Gentleman take polaroids" half-speed remaster is not so good... Apparently quality control is bad at Abbey Road studios.

7. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

The vinyl is listed on Sound of Music and Recordstore in the UK for pre order at £24.99. There is a limited edition red vinyl. I’m now unsure what I pre ordered on Amazon for £41.99. The box set is listed on Horizons for £63. The release is for 5 March.

gomen ne and sound chaser like this.
  8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Same price here, but I feel sure it was the 3x cd 1x vinyl :).

9. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

The box and vinyl versions are listed at most retailers now, sound of vinyl, burning shed etc - release date 5th March

humanracer and Derek Slazenger like this.
  10. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

I think it is particularly fantastic so not sure what planet those reviewers are on.

Chris Bernhardt and Tombby like this.
  11. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

I would be wary of the red vinyl if the 2019 RSD release is anything to go by as the quality was terrible.

12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

ETA: just ordered it from resident

Are there any North American links up? And is this still limited to 500 copies for North America?

13. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I’m still a bit disappointed that the only way of getting the 3 cd version is to buy the set with the vinyl too. I have no way of playing vinyl, and it’s annoying having to pay an extra £20 or so for something I don’t need. I know that this is clearly a first world problem but I suspect I’m not the only one with this gripe.

14. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

My gripe is the other way around. I very rarely play CDs anymore so would have preferred an all vinyl package.

richard a likes this.
  15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Me neither, but I'll wait and see if it resolves itself

Here's hoping BMG do it right, and don't master it in mono or something daft. I'm mostly interested to know the difference between this box set's version of "LIVE AT THE BUDOKAN" and the one that was released unofficially and slated last year because of bad quality.

[​IMG]

gomen ne likes this.
  16. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Cat People and ejluther like this.
  17. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Thanks Pauluz... that box is a definite “must buy”. I was tempted to cancel my £41.99 Amazon UK order on the basis it specifies a single disc but will hold on for a bit in the hope it’s actually the deluxe set.

pauluz and gomen ne like this.
  18. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Different gigs. The Budokan gig issued unofficially last year was from December 1982. The one in this set is from March 1980. Four of the songs from this gig were issued as a live ep back in the day and they sounded terrific so the whole show should be a treat.

factory44 and englishbob like this.
  19. englishbob

Who has remastered this then?

20. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I pre-ordered that mystery thing too. It only states 1 disc and release date 22nd Jan, but it could yet be altered.
    I've found the AmazonUK listing for what looks like the deluxe box but it isn't available to pre-order yet. No release date listed either.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quiet-Life...ords=B08NYFRR5X&qid=1610479429&s=music&sr=1-1
    I'm tempted to cancel the mystery pre-order, but I will give it a few more days.

21. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

The other sites are listing the box set as sold out or unavailable, it sounds as though it’s pretty limited. I’m keeping my pre order open on Amazon as hopefully it’s the box set.

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I didn't want to take a chance on not getting this, so I placed my order with Burning Shed. They always seem to come through. I almost balked at placing the order since shipping was so high priced, but I checked out other UK sites and shipping price was similar to the US from most UK sites. I prefer Burning Shed - they go over and above. So with shipping this thing cost me near $90.00. UGH. Who knows if it will ever show up via US sites.

factory44, Gez and SJP like this.
  23. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I've been a huge fan of Duran Duran since the early 80's, but until recently (last 3 years or so), I was completely unaware of just how similar the sound of their debut album is to Quiet Life. That influence was obviously huge.

SJP and RevUp64 like this.
  24. englishbob

Stay strong, it won't be that limited. Same thing happened for the GTP/Tin Drum half speed 45rpm vinyl reissues the other year, there is plenty.

If it can "sell-out" during a pre-order window, that is ridiculous

25. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Cat People and englishbob like this.