Is Driving Rain a "generation gap"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Durango88, Jan 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Do many young people listen to solo McCartney?

2. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I like to call Macca 'The King Of Ooh's cause when he fills the melody with them, it's a great thing. My favorite 'ooh's of his are on "I Owe It All To You" from Off The Ground -both have a mysticism swirling around them but both aren't really considered all-time greats. Unfortunately as he's playing "From A Lover To A Friend" when I saw him live in 2002, some fans went to the restroom. That's how I learned about it. Eventually, he would drop the song from the setlist and replace it with "Your Loving Flame" which is more in a traditional Macman way.

joy stinson and coffeetime like this.
  3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Well, from YouTube comments when I listened to solo McCartney via YouTube to catch up with his stuff and to hear his old stuff, oddly, I found that solo McCartney does have a good many younger fans who like his old as well as his new music ..I myself was also shocked, that solo Macca has many young fans. Likewise, Reddit commenters seem to be younger solo McCartney fans. Indeed, I oddly found that, aside from his core ongoing fan base, it’s some of the boomer and later Gen xer fans of the eighties who quit following his career. He has definitely helped his career by continuing to tour and to release albums and to do what his older fans hate....record music with younger acts along, kayne, Rihanna, get younger producers that younger folks like and get admired by younger acts like styles and Swift. I was very surprised to read in comments that he has fans as young as 10 years old. This forum has shocked me as well that he acquired so many many younger than me fans in the eighties, nineties and 2000s.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Durango88 and Man at C&A like this.
  4. joy stinson

His oohs have been legendary from the very beginning....my favorite as a 13 yo from McCartney I, oooo you.

WilliamWes likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good stuff, it's important that young people listen to music of the current era, but it's nice that some are open to older stuff too. Queen are extremely popular with young people, they were even before that film.

Jarleboy, Durango88 and joy stinson like this.
  6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Came out same time as Mick Jagger Goddess in the Doorway, both average efforts from top artists luckily Macca was to find his stride again with Chaos....

7. Aar Gal

Aar Gal Monkberry Moon Delight

my god. i was 24 when this came out and i still consider it a "new" McCartney album!

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I listened to Driving Rain in more repeated plays than anything of his (huge fan) since the 70's'
    Only thing against it is it's 3 songs too much.
    CLASSIC Mac!

9. joy stinson

Yes...amazing about Queen...I don’t even remember them being that popular in their hay day as had much competition in the seventies, though probably were by live aid and Freddie’s great performance. I was lucky enough to see Queen, elvis and wings in 76.

Jarleboy, Bingo Bongo and Man at C&A like this.
  10. joy stinson

Try being age ...I was then, 44,..it is a new Macca album to me as is anything in last 20 years, lol. That’s probably why it sounds so contemporary to me, lol.

Jarleboy, 905 and Aar Gal like this.
  11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

At any age, must play:
    Spinning On An Axis
    Riding Into Jaipur
    Rinse The Raindrops

PhoffiFozz, joy stinson and Durango88 like this.
  12. joy stinson

IMO DR exceeds the goddess album by miles...just opinion of course.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Incredibly lucky! Where did you see Elvis and what was he like?

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. joy stinson

Sadly, he was slow, clearly sedated on drugs and couldn’t keep in rhythm though he still had his great voice, He had come to my area many times as was a southerner boy then and I told sis we really needed to see him as he was Elvis. I saw him at the university of AL coliseum in Tuscaloosa, AL.

15. Durango88

Durango88 Without Bogey Music, life is indeed incomplete Thread Starter

You're right, I'm sorry, I messed it up a little

Let me fix this:

I kinda have the feeling that my generation is usually more keen on this record than the older generations, as it always was a way more modern sounding 21st Century record (easy, since released in 2001) than it's predecessors.

16. Durango88

I know a couple, yes. Most prefer the Beatles, though - as usual... ;)

joy stinson and Man at C&A like this.
  17. joy stinson

I have likewise noticed what you think about DR, and generational liking, per YouTube comments. The album and the NYC concert also began Macca’s concert tours of the 21st century which had a variety of age groups in the audiences. There was several years ago a younger SHF poster who really loved the album, DR, I forget his user name. He went on and on about how great the album is and shilled for it like my generation did for BOTR and WOA, and the way young hipsters and folks shill for ram now, lol. It could well be argued that most Macca albums were contemporary for their eras but DR indeed had an updated contemporary style and sound that younger folks like. Nevertheless, DR overall is not liked by many on this forum, which consists of many Macca fans who came on board with him via earlier albums.

Durango88 likes this.
  18. thewonders

thewonders Someone that I used to know

I saw Wings in '76 in LA. And again in LA around 2001/2002 when Paul was playing the Driving Rain tour. The first time we had nosebleed seats - the second time we were around row 25 on the floor.

joy stinson likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Sadly, that's what I expected. I was hoping you'd say he was still great, but you saw Elvis! I've never been in direct contact with anyone who's seen him before. Nice one!

Jarleboy and joy stinson like this.
  20. joy stinson

Too cool that we saw the same tours in different places...

thewonders likes this.
  21. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Nah, I think it has to do with bad taste in music ;)

thewonders likes this.
  22. Durango88

Bad taste indeed, if you dislike this album :p
    Gosh, there's always that one mean guy... :sigh:

23. joy stinson

Many older Macca fans say online they haven’t kept up with him since the sixth, seventies or eighties...though maybe heard or liked a later or two album....many left the fold when he quit getting all his number ones though music became album driven, formats changed, etc., technology and number ones meant less. Some older fans followed the popularity crowd in their eras and didn’t adjust to later musical styles.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I just think that this forum is overly obsessed with lots of mediocre Macca records.

ARK, Chuckee and thewonders like this.
  25. joy stinson

Yep..always the thread crapper...I dare say not a McCartney fan and most probably someone who never heard DR album. I’ve noticed McCartney threads are crapped a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.