OPPO players HDCD issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by strettonufo, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks for that link. I will peruse thru it for anything that stands out. My 103 is working like a champ though with my HDCDs, DVDs, Blu Rays, SACDs and anything else I can shove into it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I better not plan to use it the day I update it...if I decide to. :D

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No worries as you can use the 103 right after you do the update :). Just follow the instructions that Oppo provides for the FW update. Very easy to do.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My 105 has the latest firmware update and works fine.

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

We don’t know the model of the NAD receiver used by the OP, but even if it isn’t officially advertised as having HDCD decoding it’s possible that the DAC and associated chipset are capable of it, so the double HDCD decode issue remains the most likely explanation.

BGLeduc likes this.
  6. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Apparently the bravia system sends hdmi handshake requests even when sleeping, the oppo will cut sound when trying to answer to these.
    My previous sony tv had a off button, when off no problems, when in sleep I got issues.

Some solved this by using a edid emulator connected to their oppo that would emulate hdmi tv connection.
    I tried this but could not make it work.

Finally succeeded with a hdmi hub that I just turn off when listening to music...

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I use a Samsung tv which is hooked up to the Oppo 105 HDMI. The Oppo runs fine if the tv is on or off, however I do hear a short drop out when I shut the tv off when playing cds or files.

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

My problem disappeared just by leaving the TV on.

9. Tartifless

Yes of course but why would one leave the tv on to listen to music ? Especially with new tvs where you do not want to ruin the oled panel, plus power saving.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have my Panasonic plasma on when listening to music with my Oppo 103 and 205. Both players are in my main system and having the display on enables me to see all the information on Blu-ray, CDs, DTS-CDs, DVD-A, DVD-V and SACDs. Also the display is needed to access the menus on Blu-ray, DVD-A and DVD-V discs. When not viewing the menus or disc information the display is muted by using the Pure Audio feature.

Linger63, wvsteveo and BGLeduc like this.
  11. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

I always thought that you had to use the analog output to decode the benefits of HDCD if your DAC or receiver didn’t decode HDCD. Does it work through HDMI? I’m pretty sure it does not work through optical or coax digital connections. Is this correct?

12. Sevoflurane

HDCD works over optical / coaxial. If a non HDCD CD player plays an HDCD over an optical / coaxial connection to an HDCD equipped amplifier / receiver, the amplifier receiver will decode it. If both CD player and amplifier have HDCD decoding and try to apply it distortion may result.

13. fireprix

fireprix Forum Resident

I guess I wasn’t clear enough and left out an important fact. I was confused as the OP seemed to say their receiver didn’t decode HDCD while at the same time trying to verify if what I always believed was correct which is if your receiver/pre pro/DAC doesn’t decode HDCD but your player does then you have to use an analog connection to realize the benefits of HDCD. I think the answer would benefit us both.

14. Sevoflurane

I think it’s entirely possible that a receiver could not be advertised as supporting HDCD while containing a chipset that does support it. It’s regarded as dead technology. Oppo’s advice to disable HDCD decoding under certain circumstances remains sound.

15. Tricky Nick 77

Tricky Nick 77 Forum Resident

Am I reading this correctly? I can retain the benefit of HDCD using coax into the receiver, instead of analogs out?

16. Sevoflurane

If the receiver’s DAC supports HDCD decoding, which some will (most won’t). There are many people on these forums who know a vast amount about HDCD and I am not one of them. I have a handful of HDCDs which are recognised by my Oppo. The issue with players and receivers that can recognise and decode HDCD is the risk that both player and receiver decode the HDCD audio which can cause distortion.

Tricky Nick 77 likes this.
  17. Tricky Nick 77

Tricky Nick 77 Forum Resident

I'm using an Oppo OPDV-971H into an Onkyo TX-8270. The Oppo decodes HDCD, and customer service stated that it shouldn't be a problem. But I'm interested in seeing if anyone has tested it to verify if it actually works.

18. Tartifless

I am pretty sure hdcd data decoded by the player will go over coax/digital as pcm with the full information.

Tricky Nick 77 likes this.
  19. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I think that is still an open question. It has been asked before around here and I don't think there is a definitive, authorative answer on whether the digital outputs are HDCD decoded or not. Apparently over HDMI 2 (the HDMI output Oppo says is optimized for audio on the 103) it is but I am far from sure.

I myself asked Oppo many years ago and their answer was murky. I wish I had kept that email to share it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.