Have you not made a purchase of an album because you could stream it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Jan 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

That might have been the case for me when I was younger, but by the early 90s I was already at a point where I wasn't paying any attention to the "packaging" of anything I listened to, especially once I started using disc mega-changers at home.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

According to my last.fm 2020 year in review thing, I listened to at least one song from 4,614 different albums (25,657 total tracks) last year.

Just thinking about storing all that if we were in the pre-digital era sends my brain into a state of panic. :laugh:

Big Blue likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

McCartney III. The first album of his that I didn't buy a physical copy.

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

All the time. I'm also listening to a lot more new and new-to-me music I wouldn't have checked out at all if I had to purchase it to hear it.

Big Blue likes this.
  5. Kieran White

Kieran White Forum Resident

Yes I have. I have nearly 1000 albums in my record collection, but I collected them all when I was younger. After ca 2012 I didn`t buy any more records.
    Before it was my biggest hobby on weekends to visit record shops and to buy many many records, most of them I sold again.

I don`t know why , but since some years I have no more fun looking for albums. But YT has such a great selection of tenthousands of albums of all genres.
    Now I do listen to this and I am downloading some albums.

6. stephen

stephen Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to Van Morrison’s albums on Qobuz recently and they sound terrific, much better than the most recent remasters.

7. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

ELO - Alone in the Universe
    ELO - From out of Nowhere

I have all the ELO albums up until and including ZOOM (2001) in some official physical format, but it's ‘till the cows come home before I would want any of the above in my physical collection.
    Recorded them off Spotify premium with Audacity, put them on CDR, played them in the car, and threw the CDR's out of the window. Will never listen to them again.
    I'll rather pay 15€/month for a Spotify family account with 5 users. If I want a reissue vinyl it's probably a reissue from the 70's or 80's anyway so streaming has no impact on that purchase decision.
    If I want to support a new release through buying the vinyl, it's thanks to Spotify that made me find that release.

8. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

I thought the Qobuz versions were the most recent remasters (2015?) Are there newer, worse ones?

9. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

No, but I have not bought albums because I streamed them first and then decided against the purchase. And I have delayed some purchases (say the new X album) because I can stream them (but I will buy them).

10. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Yes. All the time.

rob68 likes this.
  11. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

I have found all the Anthony Braxton Arista releases are available as FLAC downloads and they’re tough to find otherwise.

12. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Can't you just plug your phone into your car stereo. Or Bluetooth, or something?

I don't recall the last time I was actually inside a car ... but one presumes that car stereos have moved with the times.

13. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I usually listen on streaming. If I like it and the artist is still alive and especially if it's an indie artist that relies heavily on album sales, I buy a physical copy.

If it's an artist that's been dead forever (I listen to mostly 50s and 60s material) and I've already bought a lot of physical copies forever, I'll usually just keep streaming it.

rob68 likes this.
  14. stephen

stephen Forum Resident

Do you listen to Qobuz? I don’t remember when the Van CDS with the additional tracks came out but they sound brickwalled, whereas the high res files on Qobuz via a dac are much more like the albums sounded (and I still have everything up to Hymns to the Silence on vinyl).

15. stephen

stephen Forum Resident

Just checked the Morrison remaster programmes were 1998 and 2008 and I have all of those. I think 2015 saw Moondance and possibly a few other titles come out on vinyl.

16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yes, especially ones that would be major purchases like some recent Zappa releases.

17. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

So many times.

I kinda loathe streaming, but it's a wonderful mechanism to stop me from buying crappy sounding vinyl re-releases that I'll never listen to.

18. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Yes, I am a Qobuz user. I've streamed a number of the high-res Van albums and they all sound good and non-brickwalled to my ears even though some of them are listed as 2015 Legacy Recordings. (Others show earlier release dates, e.g. Poetic Champions Composed "released on 9/1/87 by Legacy Recordings, 96/24", I assume these are also 2015 remasters despite the listed release dates. They also sound good based on the ones I've listened to.)

I don't have any remastered CD versions with bonus tracks to compare with. Sounds like they should be avoided.

19. stephen

stephen Forum Resident

That’s interesting. I’m not as good at extracting the information. What is notable is the 2015 date and Legacy title represents Van announcing new reissues including the expanded It’s Too Late To Stop Now and Healing Game but the programme (again) seems to have ground to a halt.
    I should mention here that I signed up to NYA for Archives II which I could not afford and to Qobuz for some box sets that are now very hard to find.

20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

While I have streamed music to check out new albums, it has never swayed me from buying something I already wanted, so no.

21. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

Yes. I do mostly streaming now, and pay for ad free. This offsets the cost I would have spent on buying music. Bands I REALLY like, I still purchase either CD or HiRez audio.

22. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Yes - I justify my monthly Amazon Music Unlimited fee by making sure I stream at least one album that I otherwise would have bought in a physical media-only world. Usually it’s a reissue of an album I already own or an impulse buy that I don’t necessarily “need”. While I miss the days of buying a random album because it “looks cool”, I’m now more likely to try before I buy, which frequently leads me to select the streaming option when said album doesn’t live up to hype or appearances.

Believe me, I’m still buying plenty of music!

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  23. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Wise. Some bought all 57 editions!

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Too crazy for me.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I said "No", but only on the basis that in certain cases, the artist never actually offered a physical copy of it, and after having chosen the CD as my preferred format since 1984, I think I'm entitled to a little bit of latitude.

I also have enjoyed a career of helping promote artists in my capacity as both on-air, management, and running my own online station, so I'm not too concerned karma is going to raise an eyebrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.