Barnes & Noble 50% Off Vinyl Sale

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Vinyljunkie22, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davers

davers Forum Resident

I picked up Roxy Music Avalon at last year's sale but ended up returning it. Frankly, the oddball sleeve size made it stick out like a sore thumb...which is too bad because it's one of my favorite album covers!

Similar to others' experiences, the 50% sale is way smaller at my local store this year (Silverdale, WA). Last year I perused the sale over multiple visits but noticed today there are only about 5-10 titles per letter in the alphabetized sale section.

No complaints however - I scored some great stuff last year including two of the Bowie vinyl boxes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    black sheriff and Jspmike like this.
  2. U2Achtung1

U2Achtung1 Forum Resident

Does anyone have "Something to Tell You" by Haim? Wondering how the pressing is. I think it's interesting that the speed for it is 45rpm (I think?).

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

surprisingly all three of their albums are 45 rpm on vinyl!

"something to tell you" sounds good to me, as does the most recent album.

4. U2Achtung1

Nice, yeah I picked up WIMPIII recently, the Urban Outfitters yellow one, but haven't listened yet.

5. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

There was an "opened" Beatles White Album 6-CD/bluray at 50% off. (passed) $90

6. U2Achtung1

Couldn't resist going back. Got Joan Baez BN Exclusive - red vinyl and analogue. And Riot Act by Pearl Jam. Was debating that one, since it's my lease favorite Pearl Jam album. But it's still good enough for $14. And supposedly the pressing sounds good.

Jspmike likes this.
  7. U2Achtung1

8. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I went back last week and picked up the Ben Webster - The Horn B&N Exclusive on purple vinyl and Les Paul And His Trio - After You've Gone B&N Exclusive on Pink and Yellow vinyl. Both on ORG Music. I don't remember seeing these in the rack the first time.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

good 2 know, thx

10. chantfan

chantfan Well-Known Member

So far I have purchased about 12 albums from the 50% off sale at B & N from 4 stores in Southern California. I have found, to my dismay, that not all B & N stores have a CD/Vinyl/Video section. Best find: Peter Gabriel 2 (Scratch) 2 LP 45 RPM. The sleeve was pretty beat up and it looked like it had been sitting in the store for years, but the LPs are pristine and sound great!

dee, hutlock and Jspmike like this.
  11. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ordered 4 albums off B&N website to get free shipping and it appears they are shipping each one individually from separate places. Seems odd. Wouldn't they just ship them all in one box straight from the warehouse to save money?

Jspmike likes this.
  12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

They might be located at individual stores rather than at a central warehouse...

marcb, Vinyljunkie22 and Jspmike like this.
  13. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I think you are right. Whilst there are several different warehouses some stores do ship items purchased online (and stores don't credit for the sale - although when you do a purchase online pick up in store they do get credit for the sale). There is a lack of vinyl in the warehouses - certainly of the more popular titles - so I can understand why they would be shipping the vinyl from stores. It's really frustrating at the moment because we sold out of a lot of things before Christmas and we're still waiting for the warehouses to get replenished so we can get titles back in.

14. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

@Jspmike Mike, I’m sure it’s mentioned somewhere in this thread, but is the 50% off sale over?

15. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Bookseller told me that Jan 25 is the final day.

So far, have gotten REM - Dead Letter Office and Iggy Pop - The Idiot ($9.99 each), Crowded House - Woodface ($12.50) and Bauhaus - Crackle ($13.99, local store). Paid $4.99 total shipping for the first three, which each came from different warehouses, but learned later that $35 plus purchase eould get free shipping.

Notes: the single disc U2 -All That You Can Leave Behind is officially part of the sale (if you can find it), but the 2-disc is not. Also, only those Replacements lps which are not the 2020 clear vinyl editions are part of the sale, but like the U2, they may be all sold out.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Jspmike and superstar19 like this.
  16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Things are really picked over at this point. In the last few days I’ve probably hit 5 different B&Ns from Austin to Dallas (I was traveling) and only found one album I felt like buying: Robbie Robertson — Sinematic.

Jspmike likes this.
  17. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Yes, I believe the 25th is the last day of the sale. The vinyl will then go back to 25% off.

black sheriff likes this.
  18. U2Achtung1

Does anyone have any of the Harry Potter soundtracks?

Was thinking of picking up Deathly Hallows Part 2 since it's part of the sale. Wondering about quality.

19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Went back to one of my local B&N haunts this evening and was surprised to see the Utopia Bearsville Singles still there. I had it in hand the day after Christmas but put it back as I felt as if the handful of albums I was buying at the time was enough. Very glad to have this one.

I have Deathly Hallows Part 1 and the sound quality is fine. Different composer as the early films were scored by the legendary John Williams.

Then again, don't ask me about sound quality as I'm the happy owner of the Harry Potter picture disc box set :).

black sheriff and Jspmike like this.
  20. U2Achtung1

Yeah I picked up Part 2, I wanted to own one.

Not much left I'd want. Just the self titled Heart album from 1985 which I think is $10. I think copies from the 80s can be found cheap in indie stores though, so IDK.

Jspmike and SJP like this.
  21. shnaggletooth

Today (Jan 25) is the last day!

22. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Today, Sunday, is the 24th.

shnaggletooth likes this.
  23. shnaggletooth

You're right, of course.! Thanks for the correction. Monday, the 25th, is the last day.

black sheriff likes this.
  24. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

There is a 30% off CD sale which starts on the 29th. Membership stacks on top. It applies to box sets too!

dee, Bob J, shnaggletooth and 4 others like this.
  25. davers

davers Forum Resident

Thanks for the reminder! I wonder if it applies to CD/LP combo sets (e.g. The Doors and Replacements deluxe reissues)?

dee and Jspmike like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.