Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That one is in the manual. I think you need an unused SD card. The Info screen will tell you what your software is and the website will tell you the current version. Mine came up to date.

2. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Many times... they dropped the revision history though, so you no longer know what's in the upgrade. Which is a little frustrating. I like details :)

RC2257 and jboersma like this.
  3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

How do you find the manual process? I'm tempted myself, if only to see what the Kirmuss method offers, if anything, above the Degritter. I suspect nothing, but I'm open to trying.

4. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Is that based on experience?

I will find out myself soon - just ordered a Kirmuss to test against the Degritter. Delivery tomorrow. I have some stubborn records that I cannot improve and will be interested to see what, if anything, the Kirmuss can do with them, or indeed unstubborn records. I suspect the Kirmuss will be going onwards to a new home in short order.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am looking forward to reading your experience with the Kirmuss.
    On paper, I have a lot of reservations concerning Kirmuss' claims but users and Fremer seem to like his machine a lot. I am curious to see what you think and how it compares with Degritter.

6. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I share your scepticism, but curiosity got the better of me... and it gives me something to do during the current UK lockdown.

Fractured and 5-String like this.
  7. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

yeah i hear ya.

Interesting (in a good way) they require serial number to allow download of software update.

Would be nice to be able to associate serial number with contact info so we'd be alerted to software updates. (Or is there a way to sign up for notifications?)

(not that it appears these updates happen too frequently. Current update is from July 2020.)

Beercallus likes this.
  8. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

You can always email the boys and make suggestions. They seem like they'd be open to it. I like your ideas. I don't want to be constantly checking their website.

9. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I use Wachete to monitor the update page...

Wachete - Monitor web changes

You need to go to the update page with your serial number, and then copy the address into Watchete

10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I tried that but I will not make an account with any of those companies. :realmad:

11. terzinator

Thank you for doing this on our behalf. :D

r.Din likes this.
  12. JHC3

JHC3 Senior Member

I returned my Kirmuss. I plan on purchasing a Degritter this year.

recstar24 and r.Din like this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Why, if you don't mind telling? I am just curious.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  14. terzinator

emailed the degritter guys.

You'll get software-update notifications if you sign up for the newsletter.

(Newsletter link is at very bottom of home page at degritter.com.)

r.Din likes this.
  15. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

First run completed with the Kirmuss.

I selected an album from a lot purchase (Ringo Star solo), which had never been cleaned. It was pretty grubby. First, ran it through the Degritter on Medium, and then did a clean with the Kirmuss. No comments from me at this point, but I ripped the before, the Degritter and the Kirmuss and offer links to the files below.

Which do you prefer?

1. Uncleaned: Sync | Secure cloud storage that protects your privacy
    2. ? Sync | Secure cloud storage that protects your privacy
    3.? Sync | Secure cloud storage that protects your privacy

RC2257 likes this.
  16. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Should note that I randomised files 2 & 3 so you don't which is which.

17. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Couple items to consider:

The KIRMUSS is a 40kHz unit, while the DEGRITTER is 120kHz. 40kHz is better at removing large debris (the cavitation bubble size is ~75 microns); while the 120-kHz is better is better at removing smaller particles (the cavitation bubble size is ~20 microns).

So, using the KIRMUSS as the pre-clean and the DEGRITTER as the final clean 'may' give you the best overall performance depending on the record initial condition.

However, for records that are reasonable clean - the DEGRITTER by itself should provide the best performance.

So, maybe your 'test program' is set up to prove or disprove the above noting that the KIRMUSS has no filtration (not that a DIY filtration system could not be added).

Just some thoughts

18. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Either way, most records will be cleaner after a second pass in any machine, no?

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for posting the files! I appreciate your effort!

I listened to all three of them through a Chord Qutest Dac => Darkvoice 336 SE => Sennheiser HD 800.
    I will be honest here and just say that I could not detect any differences between the two files. At certain points, and I played both many times, I thought that Ringo - 1 had softer clicks, but when I went back to play the other file it also sounded very similar.

If Degritter is doing the best that can be done with cleaning these records, and it seems to me that this is the case, then, cleaning an already cleaned record with Kirmuss a second time won't make much of a difference.

The question of course remains. Which is the better cleaning system? Degritter wins in terms of practicality and efficiency while Kirmuss has the advantage of the better price. But it is still unclear in my mind which one does a better job.

20. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I can definitely hear important differences between 1 & 2, but I don't want to influence what people are hearing.

21. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I need to run both ways, eg Kirmuss first then Degritter, as well, for comparison.

There's no agenda behind my testing. I'm simply interested in a comparison between the two units to see how they compare.

5-String and bloodlemons like this.
  22. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I wanted to see whether the Kirmuss could improve (and therefore better) the Degritter, so the obvious test was to clean on the Degritter first followed by the Kirmuss to see if there were further improvments. I will also do this test the other way around.

I think I also need to test various surfactants in the Degritter to ensure there isn't any residue issues showing up.

5-String likes this.
  23. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

The Kirmuss is *really* impractical. It takes repeated washes, meaning you'll be lucky to do one album before you have to let the unit cool down. Making it a very slow process indeed. I must say I did enjoy the process of cleaning with it.

Also the manual says not to leave water in it overnight (I plan to ignore that), which would mean a huge amount of water needed over any given cleaning period. Then there's the issue of scrubbing the records with brushes and drying with a cloth - I'm going to do a pristine one now and see if there are any hairlines made afterwards.

Also, the cloth that you put the record on gives off fibres - making the record "dirty" :/ I'm going to use an old turntable to avoid that issue.

5-String and bloodlemons like this.
  24. Orbe

Orbe Forum Resident

I understand what you are trying to do but running the record through two cycles with the Degritter may also make improvements.

25. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Do you have a VPI - I’d be interested in a comparison of that as well. For old records I do a 3-step on the Cyclone and then a heavy run on the degritter with the now visually clean record.