Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell/Mob Rules - 2021 Deluxe Edit.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

BLACK SABBATH - HEAVEN AND HELL, MOB RULES DELUXE EDITIONS AVAILABLE IN MARCH; RARE AND UNRELEASED LIVE VERSIONS OF "HEAVEN AND HELL" AND "THE MOB RULES" STREAMING NOW

Singer Ronnie James Dio joined Black Sabbath in 1979 which resulted in two back-to-back classic albums: Heaven And Hell and Mob Rules. On those memorable albums, Dio’s soaring tenor and gothic songwriting were the perfect foil for the band’s bone-crushing mix of razor-sharp riffs, intense grooves, and dark imagery.

Rhino salutes the long shadow cast by this short-lived lineup with newly remastered versions of both albums expanded with rare and unreleased music. Heaven And Hell: Deluxe Edition and Mob Rules: Deluxe Edition will be released separately on March 5. Each album will be available on 2-CDs ($19.98), or a 2-LPs ($31.98). Due to space constraints, both vinyl editions include a selection of bonus material from the CDs. The music will also be available via digital download and streaming services the same day. A rare live version of “Heaven And Hell” and a previously unreleased live version of “The Mob Rules” are both available today as digital singles. Listen and pre-order here. The songs can also be heard below.

Dio joined Black Sabbath for the first time in 1979 and quickly found kindred spirits in guitarist Tony Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler, and drummer Bill Ward. When Heaven And Hell was released in April 1980, the album was met with effusive reviews for the band’s return to form on metal masterpieces like “Neon Knights” and the title track. The album reached #9 in the U.K. and #28 in the U.S., where it was also certified platinum.

Heaven And Hell: Deluxe Edition adds several bonus tracks that have never been released in North America, including versions of “Children Of The Sea” and “Die Young” recorded live in 1980 in Hartford, CT. The set concludes with live rarities like “E5150” and “Neon Knights” that originally appeared in 2007 on the Rhino Handmade’s limited edition collection, Black Sabbath: Live At Hammersmith Odeon.

To follow-up Heaven And Hell, the group returned to the studio in 1981 to begin recording Mob Rules, with drummer Vinny Appice joining the band for the first time. Released in October 1981 and certified gold, the album was another Sabbath classic, including standouts like “The Sign Of The Southern Cross,” “Turn Up The Night” and the title track.

Mob Rules: Deluxe Edition boasts an expansive selection of rare and unreleased recordings. Along with additional tracks from Live At Hammersmith Odeon, the collection also includes a newly mixed version of “The Mob Rules.” The cherry on top is an entire concert recorded in 1982 in Portland, OR. Highlights include stellar performances of “Neon Knights” “Heaven And Hell” and “Voodoo.”

The Dio-fronted lineup disbanded in 1982 but reunited a decade later to record Dehumanizer and tour before going on hiatus again. The group came together again in 2006 to record three new songs for Rhino’s era-spanning collection, Black Sabbath: The Dio Years. The collaboration led to a highly anticipated world tour in 2007 where the group was billed as Heaven And Hell. Their final album of new material, 2009’s The Devil You Know, again demonstrated the musical bond between the band members was unparalleled.

Heaven And Hell: Deluxe Edition

2CD Tracklisting:

Disc One: Original Album (2021 Remaster)
    “Neon Knights”
    “Children Of The Sea”
    “Lady Evil”
    “Heaven And Hell”
    “Wishing Well”
    “Die Young”
    “Walk Away”
    “Lonely Is The Word”

Disc Two: Bonus Tracks
    “Children Of The Sea” – Live B-Side Of “Neon Knights” *
    “Heaven And Hell” – Live B-Side Of “Die Young” *
    “Lady Evil” – 7” Mono Edit (unreleased on CD)

Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT (August 10, 1980)
    “Neon Knights” *
    “Children Of The Sea” *
    “Heaven And Hell” *
    “Die Young” *

Hammersmith Odeon, London (Dec 31, 1981- Jan 2, 1982)
    “E5150”
    “Neon Knights”
    “Children Of The Sea”
    “Heaven And Hell”

2LP Tracklisting:

Side One
    “Neon Knights”
    “Children Of The Sea”
    “Lady Evil”
    “Heaven And Hell”

Side Two
    “Wishing Well”
    “Die Young”
    “Walk Away”
    “Lonely Is The Word”

Side Thee
    “Children Of The Sea” – Live B-Side Of “Neon Knights” *
    “Heaven And Hell” – Live B-Side Of “Die Young” *
    “Lady Evil” – 7” Mono Edit (unreleased on CD)
    “Neon Knights” – Live 1980 *

Side Four
    “Children Of The Sea” – Live 1980 *
    “Heaven And Hell” – Live 1980 *
    “Die Young” – Live 1980 *

Mob Rules: Deluxe Edition

2CD Tracklisting:

Disc One: Original Album (2021 Remaster)
    “Turn Up The Night”
    “Voodoo”
    “The Sign Of The Southern Cross”
    “E5150”
    “The Mob Rules”
    “Country Girl”
    “Slipping Away”
    “Falling Off The Edge Of The World”
    “Over And Over”

Bonus Tracks
    “The Mob Rules” – Heavy Metal Soundtrack Version
    “Die Young” – Live B-Side Of “Mob Rules” 7” *
    “The Mob Rules” – New 2021 Mix **

Live At The Hammersmith Odeon London (31/12/81 - 2/1/82)
    “Country Girl”
    “Slipping Away”
    “The Mob Rules”
    “Voodoo”

Live At Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR, April 22, 1982
    Intro **
    “Neon Knights” **

Disc Two: Bonus Tracks
    Live At Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR, April 22, 1982
    “N.I.B.” **
    “Children Of The Sea” **
    “Voodoo” **
    “Black Sabbath” **
    “War Pigs” **
    Drum Solo **
    “Iron Man” **
    “The Mob Rules” **
    “Heaven And Hell” **
    Guitar Solo **
    “Sign Of The Southern Cross/Heaven And Hell” – Reprise **
    “Paranoid” **
    “Children Of The Grave” **

2LP Tracklisting:

Side One
    “Turn Up The Night”
    “Voodoo”
    “The Sign Of The Southern Cross”
    “E5150”
    “The Mob Rules”

Side Two
    “Country Girl”
    “Slipping Away”
    “Falling Off The Edge Of The World”
    “Over And Over”

Side Three
    “The Mob Rules” – Heavy Metal Soundtrack Version
    “Die Young” – Live B-Side Of “Mob Rules” 7” *
    “The Mob Rules” – New 2021 Mix **
    “Sign Of The Southern Cross/Heaven And Hell” – Reprise **

Side Four
    Live At The Hammersmith Odeon London (31/12/81 - 2/1/82)
    “Country Girl”
    “Slipping Away”
    “The Mob Rules”
    “Voodoo”

* previously unreleased in North America
    ** previously unreleased

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'm in. The highlight is obviously the Portland concert.

3. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

4. Deuce66

5. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Wow, less than a month after the Vol. 4 reissue.

Dan Steele, FVDnz, Jam757 and 2 others like this.
  6. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i already have the last 2 cd deluxe editions they did....jesus...milking it again here. just release the live stuff by itself, i don't need to buy these albums ANOTHER time.
    good grief!

7. Deuce66

Unfortunately, it sounds very rough - low fi quality.

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Probably the same mastering as Vol 4 :D

Passed!

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Very surprised this is coming so soon after the Vol. 4 super deluxe. I thought the powers-that-be were trying to act as if only Ozzy-fronted Sabbath was worth re-releasing. Maybe Forbidden Deluxe is on the way after this?

10. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

The entire Tony Martin era that hasn't been given a deluxe treatment is what they should be working on. So all but Eternal Idol.

Then one for The Devil you Know with the correct name of the band! and the 3 bonus tracks from the best of dio years and any other
    extra's

then maybe one for 13 and include the somewhat "rare" The End cd that was sold only at their farewell tour shows

but the last thing we need is ANOTHER deluxe of two albums we already got, just release the bonus discs as it's own 2 cd set, imo.

11. Floydhead1989

Floydhead1989 Forum Resident

Wallet: You really don't need another version of H&H and MR do you?
    Me:[​IMG]

All in all, this is really cool! I never would thought anymore Dio era archive material would come out.

Cough, Black & Blue cough cough....

fretter, hi_watt, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  12. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

As with any remaster, I will never listen to it. I'm in for the bonus tracks only.

Anonamemouse, wrat and steveharris like this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Is there some Dio anniversary coming up?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I already have the Mob Rules deluxe from a decade ago with the Hammersmith show on disc 2. Something tells me that I'm not going to need yet another version.

15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

So wait a minute … aside from the Portland live tracks, there's only one previously unreleased track, which is a new mix of "The Mob Rules"?!

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes sir.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out...so I guess I'm in for Mob Rules as I already have the 2010 deluxe editions.

Matthew Tate and Raf like this.
  18. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

As great as the Hammersmith set is, I only listen to it once in a blue moon so I can't see repurchasing for the Portland set.

19. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

At least the 2010 version had the entire Hammersmith show for those who missed out on the limited Rhino release.

Unless the Portland show is amazing and everything Live Evil is not, I can't see myself buying these.

Roberto899, gpalz, rnranimal and 2 others like this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Also, how much Mob Rules live stuff do we need? Are there no full shows from the 1980 tour? Not that 1980 and 1982 shows were probably that different, but there might be a couple songs from 1980 that haven't been released on Live Evil or the Hammersmith set?

wrat, Matthew Tate, Raf and 1 other person like this.
  21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Does anyone remember the Black & Blue concerts, feat. Sabbath and BÖC?

The live songs are better as the rough stuff from Portland

patel kismet, wrat, fretter and 3 others like this.
  22. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

The early 1980 European and UK shows were quite different. Heaven and Hell without the whole "big black shape / little white shape" bit, Sweet Leaf, Lonely is the Word and probably others. What's doubtful is if there are any professional recordings of them. Any recordings I have ever heard are poor audience recordings.

fretter and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Dunno what this signifies, but the iTunes pre-order listing for the Mob Rules DE labels the title track remix as "2019 Remix."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

From Geezer Butler’s Facebook page...

Black Sabbath fans and metal lovers worldwide, get ready for something huge…

Two back-to-back monster albums, HEAVEN AND HELL and MOB RULES, are being rereleased in special newly remastered, expanded deluxe editions. Available March 5, these reissues will include rare and unreleased music, and will be available as 2CD or 2LP sets. HEAVEN AND HELL: DELUXE EDITION adds several bonus tracks that have never been released in North America, including versions of “Children Of The Sea” and “Die Young,” recorded live in 1980 in Hartford, CT, and much more! MOB RULES: DELUXE EDITION boasts an expansive selection of rare and unreleased recordings, including a newly mixed version of “The Mob Rules,” and the entire concert recorded in 1982 in Portland, OR. Listen to “Heaven and Hell (Live B-side)” and “The Mob Rules (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR, 4/22/1982)” ahead of each release here: Heaven And Hell

FVDnz, hi_watt, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  25. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, I was really interested in this but have been disappointed by some of the live bonus material put out on reissues over the last decade that sounds like crappy bootlegs.