Maybe a dumb question....but best tablet for Spotify and Tidal

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oberon313, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member

About two weeks ago I asked my brother about dipping my toe into streaming, how could I try it easily and cheaply.

He sent me this video .......

Samsung Galaxy tablet, this little Xiaomi Mi Box and I'm up and running. Easy as, And I honestly knew nothing about streaming.

2. Oberon313

Oberon313 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

FYI I got the cables in today and the DAC should be in tomorrow.

One thing I noticed running the tablet solo last weekend is the output was pretty weak. I understand it's not great to run the receiver turned way up (I was at ~75% last weekend to get to my preferred raucous late night listening volume). From what I understand this is working the receiver pretty hard even though you are not getting the volume?

Do you think the DAC will increase the output?

I don't seem to recall having the problem with my iPhone.

The DAC will be a keeper but hopefully I don't have to return the Amazon tablet for an iPad. That would be a pricey item to run one app but not the end of the world to get a functioning digital set up I guess lol.

3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes. Getting the tablet to talk to the DAC may require some patience. I hope it's as easy as connecting them together via USB and it just works. Post back here with your progress.

4. Oberon313

One last question because I'm assuming you have all the answers lol.

Right now the plan is to go Amazon tablet's USB to the DAC but that then will not allow me to charge it while playing. Any idea if I go stereo jack from the tablet to the DAC if that will also bypass the internal tablet DAC?

I will have the same issue with an iPad I believe. I think the new iPads have a stereo jack and the lightning (charging port).

5. Oberon313

Will do. The good news with Amazon is returns are painless.

6. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

No. A "digital-to-analog converter" requires a digital input.

7. Oberon313

gotcha so it sounds like an iPad wouldn't solve that problem as it in working with the same goinzas basically....

8. Oberon313

[​IMG]
    got it all hooked up. Picture link below. Seems to be working fine. I certainly can tell the audio quality difference.

I’m trying to make sure the unit is set up right now. It’s displaying “96 PCM”. I’m not sure if that is the highest value I will get on Tidal? I played Spotify at a low quality setting and the DAC stayed at “96 PCM”. I was expecting it to go down switching over to Spotify.

The only issue I see now is I can’t charge the tablet while playing but all is fine for now and the DAC will be a keeper. Thanks for rec.

SET UP WITH DAC

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Looks nice and glad it worked out. The tablet may resample everything on the digital out to 96kHz. If it sounds good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Uglyversal likes this.
  10. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Forum Resident

Like the OP, my setup is mostly focused around vinyl. But I wanted to add streaming to the mix. I have a base-model 10th gen iPad running through a Topping E30 to my pre-amp. It sounds flat-out spectacular. Very noticeable improvement over the iPad DAC. And I don't have the most sensitive ears. The hi-res tracks on Tidal and even more-so on Qobuz really stand out.

TOPPING E30 DAC (Digital-to-Analog-Convertor)

sharedon likes this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I find that Tidal and my own files sound a lot better with my IPad and IPhone SE than my Amazon HD tablet.

12. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Chromecast Audio into a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100, plus a Toslink cable. For $250 or so, you’re good to go.

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Arylic S10 and download the excellent 4STREAM app to your phone. £70 and you're good to go. Sound quality is way better than it has any right to be at this price. Love mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.