'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

The list is already amazing.

Passing Ships
    Demons Dance
    Witch Doctor
    Katanga!
    Feelin the Spirit

These are all A+ titles imo. Honestly I prefer this music over the vast majority of the big titles with a few exceptions. In a lot of ways I think the Tone Poet series is better than MMJ because the titles are so unique and every bit as good.

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think the cd set is the best option for those not willing to fork out the dough ( specially us Canuks who get hammered with our lousy exchange rate on the dollar and shipping costs)

(If amazon.ca distributes it I may break my dont buy Bezos rule and get the LP set maybe ...because it will be nuts money to buy from US sites. )

cd or Lp this is essential music IMHO

3. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

Mothership would be on the top of my list as well. Good call.

4. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Ok @scotti enough is enough... spill the beans!

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

NO FREAKING WAY!!!

Ah man. Dude. I was super excited for a minute. Even knowing TP won’t redo an MMJ. But damn.

Stu02 likes this.
  6. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Do it @scotti and be a legend!!!

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  7. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Come to think of it, @scotti hasn't been on here raving about any of his recent TP acquisitions yet today.. that may be a first since I joined. IT'S HAPPENING PEOPLE

8. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Maybe it's both! Fingers crossed. Only one I saw was All Seeing Eye.

9. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

Did someone say Happenings...

Vic Trola, timzigs and Sneezyachew like this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

i think we already know about the next 4 months worth of releases, keep some good news for later!

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh look, we are about to hit 600 pages now...thought I would politely avoid the above post. I noticed above about "The All Seeing Eye", but that is not 2021, pretty sure 2022. The Soothsayer is not going to be a Tone Poet.

And lose a good friend, I don't think so. My oldest son is a Jazz lover, and he could not even get it out of me. Don't read me wrong, I realize we are having fun here and I respect that you all know it has to go through the proper channels now. I was within an hour of posting it when Joe had to put the breaks on it because of some last minute date changes. They do not want to release a schedule and then have to go back and modify dates because of any issues that come up. Believe me, it will be well worth the wait.

So from the Craft One Step thread to this, can't imagine what folks are going through waiting to drop over $100 for "Lush Life" and how many more Tone Poets they will purchase once they see the 2021 list. Not to mention everything else that will be coming out.

I can't remember now what was already announced, but that sounds about right from what I'm looking at.

On a side note - if anyone missed out of the Impex 45 of Friday Night In San Francisco, Elusive Disc is taking preorders now even though it says discontinued. About a 6 week wait for my order that I placed this morning with them. It will most likely not say available again as the stampers sell out during the preorder phase I was told. @Crazysteve told me I need this one, so it's on him if I do not like it...ha!

12. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Just fun and games my man, no offence intended!

scotti likes this.
  13. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I've actually got a three blind mice original pressing and Kenny Drew - Undercurrent arrived today! That should keep me occupied!

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh yes I know that. Many of us know each other here since we are on similar threads. All I can say is I love hanging out with all of you and talking about all of these cool records, not just the Tone Poets, but everything Jazz that is done right. Being retired gives me much free time, plus I'm under strict doctors orders to just relax and enjoy my music and some games of pool.

timzigs, chris8519, Mad Dog and 8 others like this.
  15. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Ha! Feet up, whisky out and shush about the craft as there is only 1000! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

scotti likes this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha indeed! Unfortunately, maybe not, I'm only allowed to have some beers, but I have not one complaint. Getting kind of thirsty now and I'm ready to go fire up my MMJ 45 of Kenny Burrell's "Freedom". Just can't get enough of his great music now, can we...

You bum! What original TBM did you get? I can't quit listening to "Greensleeves" does that ever sound amazing! And "Undercurrent" love me some Kenny Drew!

edit - even though just some cold ones, I have @Mazzy's awesome pictures with his beverage of choice near by to look at, which does help a bit.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  17. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I say original but it’s a first repress! It’s “Ryuhyo” or Sailing Ice in English by the Motohiko Hino Quartet + 1

Motohiko is probably the best drummer to come out of the jazz scene in Japan, absolutely incredible! The version of Soul Trane is mind blowing horn blowing as well! The last track New Moon starts off with a lot of bowing of the bass onto bass work, it really is fantastic!

[​IMG]

I’d highly recommend anyone who hasn’t heard any of this amazing Japanese label to invest in some!

Also, if someone could tell me how to put images on here properly that might help!

18. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

To be fair, you could just tell us the titles so if the dates change, no harm no foul.

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's what I thought at first. But Joe is not the one to publish the list, it comes from BN. And because of what's going on, the powers that be might not like it if I announced the complete list before they do. It was going to be okay because I had all of the original dates, but since modifications are being made, I hope folks understand that it now has to go through the proper channels.

mktracy and Swann36 like this.
  20. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

That’s understandable (pm me :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

Any idea when they will be releasing? They must have come across some more issues if they haven’t met their intended date!

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

No more issues and I was asked to not say anymore other than what I already have. It's all good and I know it will be anytime now. I really should not say much else until it's published now, but if Joe tells me before it does get announced, I will post that here, I promise.

Hey, some good news is that Joe is with Kevin today and tomorrow mastering 4 more titles. So that's pretty cool!

Stu02, Dmann201, timzigs and 12 others like this.
  22. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

So many great TBM records to consider, though the prices are so skyhigh that “considering” is about as far as I get with most of them. But I did manage to acquire this one after a long search and it’s a stomper: Sunao Wada Quintet +1* Featuring Minoru Ikeno - Four Scenes
    Agree that Motohiko Hino is one of the best drummer to come out of the Japanese jazz scene but he’s got quite a few at or nearly at his level, including Koji Yamada who’s on this one.

23. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I understand what you’re saying! A lot of them just demand too much cash on Discogs! You can find some cheap though! I’ll listen to Koji! Otsuka is also fantastic!

24. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

The only problem is finding enough time to enjoy all these wonderful releases. Last year I purchased way over 50 jazz albums, and they all deserve a lot more playing time than a spin or two.

Now spinning The Cooker :love:

Swann36, testingcan and Aeryn Sun like this.
  25. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I hear ya. I keep telling my self I need to give buying records a rest and enjoy the ones I have and then more great records are released. Its a blessing and curse, but I am going to cut back this year.

I think my favorite jazz record purchase lately has been The Freedom Book by Booker Ervin. Analogue Productions. I highly recommend seeking that one out.

I spun Wayne Shorter - Etc. again last night. That one really is a winner. Still a top 3 Tone Poet to my ears.