Your Top Ten Albums of 2020 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WHMusical, Nov 14, 2020.

1. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature Thread Starter

I´ve been going through my Top 20 of 2020 record by record to look for weaknesses! Records I might have over-rated due to my love of the artist or band.

So far so good, though only about a 1/4 of the way through. So much great music this year; I´m looking for a slot for a record or two which are bubbling under in the ¨20s¨ (#21-30) trying to ¨make the list¨, but lots of heavy competition this (past) year!!!

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

this should be pinned for a couple of months

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  3. peskypesky

Porridge Radio definitely on my list for 2020. Some of those others are contenders too.

4. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Horrible year for the world, awesome year for music I loved, and I still have a TON more listening to do. Here are the things I kept in rotation well after their release.

Honorable Mentions:

Gigaton - Pearl Jam (alternative rock)
    Power Up - AC/DC (hard rock, blues rock)
    Reluctant Hero - Killer Be Killed (groove metal, alternative metal)
    Blue Eyes, the Harlot, the Queer, the Pusher & Me - Waylon Payne (Americana, progressive country)
    Fluid Existential Inversions - Intronaut (progressive metal)
    We Are Chaos - Marylin Manson (alternative rock, glam rock)
    City Burials - Katatonia (alternative metal, progressive rock)
    Lamb of God - Lamb of God (groove metal, metalcore)
    Quadra - Sepultura (thrash metal, groove metal)

15. Miss Anthropocene - Grimes (art pop, electronic, synthpop)
    14. Monsters - The Midnight (synth wave, synthpop)
    13. Enlightened in Eternity - Spirit Adrift (heavy metal)
    12. Ravening Iron - Eternal Champion (heavy metal, US power metal)
    11. Women in Music, Pt. III - Haim (indie pop, soft rock)
    10. Starting Over - Chris Stapleton (contemporary country, country rock)
    09. Song Machine, Season One - Gorillaz (synthpop, art pop, alternative dance)
    08. Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic/Cenozoic - The Ocean Collective (progressive metal)
    07. Inlet - Hum (shoegaze, alternative metal)
    06. Conspiravision: Deus Ex Remixed - Alexander Brandon/Michiel van den Bos (video game music, synth wave, ambient)
    05. Child Soldier: Creator of God - Greg Puciato (darkwave, alternative rock, industrial/synthpop)
    04. After Hours - The Weeknd (alternative R&B, synthpop)
    03. Tenet - Ludwig Goransson (film score, cinematic classical, electronic ambient)
    02. Ohms - Deftones (alternative metal)
    01. RTJ4 - Run the Jewels (hardcore hip hop, political hip hop)

5. peskypesky

so glad to see Lucinda and Kathleen on your list!! Love them both.

bvb1123 likes this.
  6. WHMusical

I like Lucinda a lot (10 Lps + 10 Cds) and am warming up to her Good Souls Better Angels.

But I bought the Kathleen Edwards ĹP because it made a few lists herein and I have two other of hers which I liked, but this one has thus far left me cold.

It sounds like very generic music to me, no offense intended.

Please help enlighten me as to what I am missing!

PP, BVB, or any other fan of this artistś 2020 offering.

7. WHMusical

Put on Steve Earleś excellent new album, Ghosts of West Virginia, this morning--well, technically I started my vinyl spins for the day wit a mellower all acoustic new (2020) offering late to my TT, Gwenifer Raymond´s excellent, evocative, mind-wandering, all-instrumental, Strange Lights Over Garth Mountain--, but the Earle is what I am curious about today!

I always put on a random side not looking to see if it is the A or B side, and often it is the B side, and often I like the B side of records better. Anyhow, already know I love ¨Black Lung¨, but the first song on side two finally got to me, ¨Itś About Blood¨. It did not do much for me first few spins and the listing of names at the end can get old quick, but the whole song really moved me this AM, and hit me just right. And I was wondered, what is that list of names all about?: shooting victims, black lung mining victims?

Anyone know?

8. WHMusical

A bump for the Steve Earle query!

and..

RIP J.T.!

9. WHMusical

Mwheelerk,

if you were going to pick just one of these Blues highlights of 2020 of yours, to buy on vinyl, to sample, which would it be?

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My first choice with be Blues Escape but I don't think its available so I would say the Dave Alvin

WHMusical likes this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Okay. I am going to give my final rankings for 2020, along with an honorable mention and also give my list for best archival sets, live albums, reissues, cover albums, special projects, etc. for the year.

New Studio Albums of New Material:

1. Demons & Wizards - III ------ This album was one of the 3 most listened to albums of the year for me (still in my rotation too even though it came out in February.) This is the third album from Demons & Wizards (side project of Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth and Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian.) This album has a little bit of everything in it. Very diverse in the Metal/Hard Rock category. Not only is it just Power Metal, but there are progressive elements, hard rock elements and just straight, pure, traditional heavy metal and hard rock. Some of the songs have a very epic feel to them too with nice choruses. Some of the songs are very melodic, have great guitar solos along with some catchy riffs and rhythm and acoustic guitar playing from Jon. Hansi's vocals are top-notch and are as good as any of his vocals from previous Blind Guardian and Demons & Wizards albums.

2. Testament - Titans Of Creation ------ This is at least the 3rd album in a row from Testament in which they knocked it out of the park and this particular album tops the previous two, IMHO. There is no letup from the onslaught of thrash from the moment you start playing the album until it is over. If you like your Thrash old school, this does not disappoint. This album was also one of my three most played albums of the year. (Still in my rotation.)

3. Lady Gaga - Chromatica ------ Gaga's most fun album since at least Born This Way, possibly since Fame Monster. While her singing shined in her previous two albums (Joanne and A Star Is Born Soundtrack,) on this album she went with a dance/pop, uplifting album. Duets with Elton John, Ariana Grande and others also contribute to the enjoyment. This album too was one of my three most played albums of the year. (Still in my rotation)

4. Primal Fear - Metal Commando ------ This is definitely Primal Fear's best album in a very long time. If you like German Power Metal and the heavy influences from Judas Priest, Accept and Helloween, this album is for you. If you like your metal to have fist-pumping anthems along with soaring vocals, guitar solos and riffs throughout, this album is for you. You might think to yourself it's all cliche, when it comes to Power Metal. Maybe, but it doesn't make this album less great. It does contain the usual, obligatory Power Metal ballad song on the album, but it is a pretty good one. All the rest of the songs are fast, heavy and some even epic.

5. Grave Digger - Fields Of Blood ------ If you are familiar with Grave Digger and their 40 year history in the German Power Metal scene, you know what you are getting. This particular album has a Scottish History theme (like two of their previous albums----Tunes Of War and The Clans Will Rise Again.) You might think how can they have 3 albums about one subject without being repetitive. I thought that too before I listened to it the first time. But they actually pull it off a third time. This album too has the usual fist-pumping anthems along with an obligatory Power Metal ballad. Many of the songs have an epic feel to them too to go along with the history lessons that are being told in the songs.

6. AC/DC - Power Up ------ This album probably would've been in my top 3 most listened to albums of 2020 if it had been released earlier in the year instead of in the middle of November. This album, IMO, is their best album since The Razors Edge and quite possibly since Back In Black. Brian Johnson surprisingly sounds better than he has in a long time on an album and the guitar riffs are very catchy. Despite no Malcolm Young on rhythm guitar, the rhythm section sounds great with Stevie Young on rhythm guitar and Cliff Williams on Bass and Phil Rudd on drums. In comparison to The Razors Edge, I think Power Up has less filler than The Razors Edge, but The Razors Edge has a few songs that are catchier than anything on Power Up. Hence, the reason why I still can't decide if this new album is their best since The Razors Edge or since Back In Black. Anyway, this is a great AC/DC album.

7. Kansas - The Absence Of Presence ------ IMO, this is their best album since their '70s heyday. This album stacks up to any of their classic albums from that period. Even though many of the original Kansas members are no longer in the group, this makeup of the band made a worthy album that holds up. Great progressive elements throughout, with great singing, lyrics, keyboards, guitars, etc. I was not bored with any of the songs on this album, like I had been with some of their post-70s albums.

8. Deep Purple - Whoosh! ------ This album makes three in a row for Deep Purple in which they totally surprised by topping the previous one. The album Now What?! was very good and then they topped that one with Infinite, followed by Whoosh!, which is pretty darn great. The keyboard playing by Don Airey on this one is the main highlight, for me. Ian Gillan's vocals and delivery are quite good too on this album. A couple catchy (for Deep Purple standards,) songs also highlight this album.

9. Huey Lewis & The News - Weather ------ Not really a full-length album, but not an EP either. Huey refers to it as a mini album. If this truly will be the final album by Huey Lewis then it is a good one to go out on. The album was shortened (and delayed) due to Huey's hearing problems and loss. I'd probably have this one ranked higher if it were longer than 7 songs. But they are darn good songs. They all have that typical Huey Lewis & The News rock vibe without that '80s production that they are remembered for from their classic albums from the '80s. It's a fun little album to tap your feet to.

10. Ozzy Osbourne - Ordinary Man ------ Like Huey, if this album truly will be Ozzy's final album due to his health, it is a good one to go out on. The title track, a duet with Elton John, is a good rock ballad. He does have a couple other duets with Post Malone and Travis Scott( another rapper,) which are kind of head-scratchers. Though, the one duet with Post Malone, called "It's A Raid" does rock hard. The hard rock/metal songs that I really like on this album are "Straight To Hell" and "Scary Little Green Men." Also, the song "Under The Graveyard," is really good and has that usual Ozzy/BS doom vibe to it.

Honorable Mention:

Only one for me this year and it is:

11. Bruce Springsteen - Letter To You ------ Why only honorable mention? Well, it contains too much filler and boring songs for me. That being said, it has a couple nice rockers on it. "Burnin' Train" and "Ghosts." IMO, "Burnin' Train" is his best and hardest rockin' song since the BITUSA album. I just love this song. As I and others said in the dedicated thread for the album, "Burnin' Train" would've fit nicely on BITUSA if it had been around then. Hard Rockin' Bruce is my favorite type of Bruce. When he tries to be Dylan is when I get bored. My favorite songs on Letter To You, besides "Burnin' Train" and "Ghosts" are the title track "Letter To You" and "I'll See You In My Dreams." Letter To You is still my 3rd favorite Springsteen album from the 21st Century. Western Stars, being my favorite (which I think is his best since BITUSA and was in my top 10 albums of 2019,) and Magic.

Disappointment:

Paul McCartney - McCartney III ------ I thought his album New was very good and I thought Egypt Station was great. So, I was hoping for a trifecta with III. Maybe I had my hopes set too high based on the previous two albums. I don't know. But I really couldn't find anything catchy/memorable on this album. My favorite song on the album is probably the first song, and that is mostly an instrumental. I really tried to like this. I listened to this album multiple times (still listening at least once a week,) and nothing has grown on me from the album. Usually when I listen to albums multiple times, songs start to grow on me, but not in this case.

All other new studio albums I purchased in 2020 aren't worthy of comment (good or bad.)

Favorite Reissues, Archival, Box Sets, Cover Albums, Live Albums, Singles, Special Projects, etc. of 2020:

1. Prince - Sign O' The Times {Super Deluxe CD/DVD Box Set}
    ------ Outstanding set. Probably my most favorite box set I own that revolves around one album/period from any single artist. And it is probably my 2nd overall favorite box set I own (after The Complete Elvis Presley's Masters Box Set.) The only negative about this box set is the design of the box and the decision on how to store the discs and how it was packaged to be shipped. Many reports from people had scratched discs or damaged boxes from shipping. In my case I had one disc that was completely out of its slot when I opened the book. Surprisingly that disc was flawless and had no scratches or marks on it. One other disc, though, had very light, minor marks on its playing surface. But it didn't affect play. All my discs ripped securely and played flawlessly. The original album remastered sounded great compared to the original release. The singles and edits disc was a treasure for me since I never had heard most of them before. Same for the 3 Vault Tracks discs. If all this material had been released back in the '80s, he could've had another 3 or so great albums. The 2 live concert CDs are nice to have but there was either a tape or pitch problem when originally recorded. Some of the songs sound a little off, but not too noticeable to make it not enjoyable. The DVD concert is nice footage to have too. Has the typical '80s video recording technology when it comes to concert footage. So, it doesn't hold up to today's video recordings. But it is still great archive material to have.

2. The Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels Live {3-CD, 2-DVD, 1-Blu-ray Limited Collector's Deluxe Edition Box Set} ------ Nice live archive release for one of my favorite Rolling Stones albums. The first two CDs contain the Atlantic City show and the 3rd CD contains 5 non-core, rare bonus songs from other shows on that tour that weren't played in Atlantic City or most other stops on the tour. The first DVD is the video footage for Atlantic City and the second DVD is the video for the alternate Tokyo Dome show (not the main show that was previously released, but the one that was a bonus on a Japan-only release.) The Blu-ray is SD quality of the Atlantic City show. I think the performances by the band are great. They are really clicking here and the guests performers on this (Eric Clapton, Guns N Roses, John Lee Hooker) make it a special treat. I think the sound and video is pretty nice considering it was filmed and recorded over 30 years ago. This release is probably my favorite archive release so far from The Rolling Stones.

3. Elvis Presley - From Elvis In Nashville {4-CD Box Set} ----- Just when you think that everything has been milked to death regarding Elvis' recordings, they release this fantastic set. It covers Elvis' 1970 Nashville sessions that resulted in the That's The Way It Is, Elvis Country (I'm 10,000 Years Old) and Love Letters From Elvis albums. But what makes this set great? Well, 40 songs have been stripped/undubbed and remixed to only highlight Elvis' singing voice without all that extra crap (horns, strings, etc.) that was originally dubbed for the original albums. Also, 2 discs of rare and unreleased outtakes from the sessions are included. Nice hardbound book is included in this box set with the usual write-ups about the sessions along with rare photos from the sessions.

4. Def Leppard - The Early Years 79-81 {5-CD Box Set} ------ Even though there is some overlap (first two albums) with this release and their Volume 1 release from a few years ago, this set is still fantastic. First 2 discs are the first two albums remastered. The third disc is a live show from Oxford, 1980. The 4th disc contains B-sides and rarities from the period. The 5th disc contains early BBC recordings. The book that comes with it contains some nice photos, along with the usual write-ups about the content.

5. Dio - Deluxe CD Mediabook Editions of 4 Dio albums {Angry Machines, Magica, Killing The Dragon, Master Of The Moon} ------ The Mediabooks, along with remasters of 3 of those albums were selling points for me. Bonus content for each include live songs from the respective tours. A few B-sides are included too for a couple of the albums. Alternate artwork for the cover of Killing The Dragon is on the mediabook cover instead of the original cover. So that was cool to have too, even though the alternate cover is inferior to the original cover. The only one that wasn't really necessary (or at the least was just supplemental) was the new Magica Deluxe release. Why? Well, it was previously released as a 2-CD Deluxe edition back in 2013 with different bonus content. Some of the bonus content from that release wasn't included on this one, for some odd reason. Also, on the new one, a few seconds from the intro to Magica were not included, like it was on the 2013 release. One thing the new one has that is an advantage over the 2013 deluxe is that the live recordings included on the bonus disc are professionally recorded. On the 2013 release, its live bonus content included bootleg quality recordings. So, by having both the new deluxe and the 2013 deluxe, they supplement each other. But I still think it was a bonehead decision to not include the same bonus studio content along with deleting a couple seconds of the intro to Magica. Also, I believe, from memory, that on one of the deluxe albums, one of the live songs has a technical glitch/dropout that wasn't originally on the original live album that the live song was culled from.

6. Ratt - The Atlantic Years (1984-1990) {5-CD Box Set} ------ Nice Cheap way to get their first 5 albums on CD. This import set was put together by Cherry Red Records. It comes in a nice, hard clamshell box, with each album in their own cardboard sleeve with original front and back artwork. No booklets are included, but there is a poster included with all the relevant info for each album printed on one side. Also, photos of all their artwork from their singles are included on the poster. Each of the 5 albums come with at least one bonus song (single edits, remixes, or non-album track.) I don't know if these albums have been remastered as I didn't own the original albums on CD (only owned some of their albums on original vinyl.) On the poster it doesn't say anything about remastering. Just mentions the person who mastered and put together this set. So, really don't know if they were just tweaked/boosted or if they were completely remastered. Regardless, these reissues sound great.

7. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live In Maui {2-CD, 1-Blu-ray} ------ I think Experience Hendrix did wonders with the original recordings, as this set sounds pretty darn good considering the conditions (high winds, etc.) They were able to remove/filter out a lot of the noise from the original recordings. The performance is quite good too. Hell, even bad Hendrix is good. LOL. The live video footage is lacking on the Blu-ray as there wasn't much usable footage to use. So, really nobody's fault. Looking at a black screen with just text during the no-video footage portions was unnecessary, though.

8. The Who - Who {2-CD, 2020 Deluxe Edition} ------ This deluxe reissue of their 2019 album is different than the 2019 Target Limited Deluxe Edition. This new deluxe edition doesn't include the 3 bonus tracks from the 2019 deluxe edition, but it does contain a new remix of the song "Beads On One String" as a bonus song. The 2nd disc, which was the big selling point for me, contains the acoustic and intimate live charity performance at Kingston from February 2020. Live intimate performances released by bands are usually great for me, and this one doesn't disappoint. This years deluxe version and the original deluxe supplement each other. I will have to make a custom playlist to tack on the remix of "Beads On One String" along with the live show onto last year's limited deluxe edition. (By the way, Who was one of my favorite albums from 2019. See the Best Albums of 2019 thread for my comments on original album and my original ranking.)

9. The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup {2-CD Deluxe Edition} ------ First off, I contemplated for the longest time on whether to buy this or the super deluxe version with the extra The Brussels Affair CD, the big coffee table book, tour posters, and Blu-ray. Even though I do want The Brussels Affair on CD, I do own the original 2011 lossless digital download of it. So, at least I have that. Anyway, what ultimately made me choose the deluxe over the super deluxe was the huge jump in price, considering all you got extra was the one CD, a big book and tour posters you will only look at/read once, and a Blu-ray I wouldn't play after the first time. That being said, the big selling point for both editions are the remix of the album, the 3 previously unreleased songs (which are pretty good,) and the demo, alternate mixes and instrumental versions of some of the songs. If The Brussels Affairs ever gets released in a standalone CD release without being packaged in an expensive box set (2nd time it has happened, so far,) I will surely buy it, even though I have the original 2011 lossless digital download. But the main reason I don't have this release ranked higher is because Goats Head Soup was never really one of my favorite Rolling Stones albums to begin with.

10. Def Leppard - London To Vegas {4-CD, 2-DVD, Box Set} ------ Another nice set from Def Leppard. After Volume 1, Volume 2 and The Early Years box sets, they released this soon after The Early Years set. This one just contains 2 recent live shows. One from The O2 Arena, London in December 2018 in which they performed the entire Hysteria album and a few other hit songs and the other show from Planet Hollywood, Las Vegas during their Summer 2019 stint in Vegas in which they played most of their well-know hits. This box set is a great set to have if you collect Def Leppard. 2 whole CDs and 1 video DVD dedicated to each show. Nice hardbound photo book is also included. If you like recent live Def Leppard, then all the better. Of course Joe's vocals aren't nearly as good as they were when he was younger, but it doesn't distract from this set being great.

11. The Who - Essential {3-CD} ------ This budget compilation release is quite good and I am glad I bought it. Why? Because it just isn't another greatest hits Who compilation with all the same songs that appear on every single one of the million Who compilations that exist. There are some deep album cuts in this release that never make it onto other compilations. I believe there are a few single edits/mixes/versions of some songs that were never previously released on mainstream Who releases. Also, the third disc is a compilation of live songs culled from previous releases. Some I didn't have already. This release is a budget release because of the cheap packaging and doesn't contain any booklet. But for the price of a single CD, you get this pretty good 3-CD set. You can't beat that.

12. Steve Perry - Traces {Alternate Versions & Sketches} ------ This nice little release contains radio mixes, stripped versions and acoustic versions of some of the songs from 2018's Traces album. Steve's vocals really shine on the stripped and acoustic versions since many of the instruments that were on the finished recordings are not here. (Traces made my top 10 albums of 2018 list. See that thread for my comments about the original release. I think I like these alternate versions more than their originals.)

13. James Taylor - American Standard {Target Exclusive Edition} ------ Even though James is older and his vocals aren't as smooth as they were when he was younger, he still sounds great on this covers album doing American standards songs. If you are a fan of James Taylor or of covers of American standards, give this one a listen. You will be pleasantly surprised.

14. Rush - Permanent Waves {2-CD, 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition} ------ The remaster of the main album is nice, but I think I prefer the 2007 MFSL Ultradisc Gold remaster better. Though, the remaster from the 2011 Sector Box set is inferior to this new one, I believe. The 40th Anniversary bonus disc is nice to have official release of live songs from the album tour. But, I feel they could've done more to make this release much better. Like all the recent 40th anniversary albums from Rush, they use new alternate artwork instead of the original artwork. On some of them, they are nice, but I felt the new artwork for this release is inferior to the original.

15. Metallica & The San Francisco Symphony - S&M2 {2-CD, 1-DVD} ------ This set isn't nearly as great as the first S&M album with the San Francisco Symphony that was recorded and released 20 years earlier. Also, half the songs on the new one were also performed during the first one. So, there is some overlap of performed songs for both releases. But the other songs on the new one do cover more recent great Metallica songs. So that is a plus. Also, it was pretty cool to have Metallica perform a couple classical music pieces that were picked by both the Symphony and Metallica.

16. Schaffer/Barlow Project - Winter Nights {CD/DVD/Digital Download} ------ A side project from Iced Earth's founder Jon Schaffer. He teamed up with ex-Iced Earth lead singer Matt Barlow to make this Christmas EP. They put their spin on a handful of traditional Christmas songs, such as Silent Night, Do You Hear What I Hear, Little Drummer Boy and We Three Kings. For Silent Night they have 2 versions on this release, one being a straight traditional cover and the other being one with their own interpretation/spin. Also, they included new reworkings of 2 classic Iced Earth songs, "I Died For You," and "Watching Over Me" to fit with the Christmas theme. This was not released commercially and had to be financed by backers through the Kickstarter Project. All backers (I was one,) received the lossless digital downloads first, when they were ready (both 16-bit and high-rez 24-bit lossless files.) Also backers were mailed the CD and, after reaching a goal, a bonus DVD containing the high rez audio when they became ready close to Christmas. Every backer got their name printed in the booklet too. LOL So, my name is on a music release. There were different colored vinyl versions that were produced too, but I didn't order any of the vinyl versions. Every CD and vinyl version were personally autographed by both Jon Schaffer and Matt Barlow before they were mailed out. Since this wasn't released commercially and only financed through Kickstarter, only a few extra copies were manufactured and can be bought by people who originally missed out through Iced Earth's website store. Don't think those are autographed though.

17. Iron Maiden - Nights Of The Dead, Legacy Of The Beast: Live In Mexico City {2-CD} ------ Another live Maiden album performing the usual hits. The tour was great (the show I saw them on this tour, in Cincinnati, they were in top form, including Bruce's vocals.) But the Mexico shows they culled from to create this release seem like something was off. Bruce doesn't sound in top form and the sound on the first half of the first disc doesn't sound right to me. Don't know if it was a recording problem or a mixing and mastering problem. The sound got much better after that. I heard that Bruce wasn't feeling well during their Mexico shows. So, maybe that is why he sounds off on this release. Don't know why they decided to use the Mexico shows for their Legacy Of The Beast live album release. I'm sure there were many other shows from the tour they recorded that were much better.

18. The Rolling Stones - Living In A Ghost Town {CD-Single} ------ The new single they released a few months after the Pandemic hit, during lockdown. It's a pretty good song. Originally it was a song about something else when they were working on it, but when the Pandemic hit, Mick and the boys changed some things around to make it relevant during the Pandemic lockdown. I list this last on my list only because it is a single. Otherwise it would be much higher because I really enjoyed this release. As a bonus, I got a Rolling Stones logo sticker for ordering the CD-Single from their website when it was released. LOL

I bought other new box sets, reissues, compilations, live albums, etc. in 2020 from other artists, but they didn't make my list. Also, there are a couple of box sets and archival sets by artists that were released in 2020 that I still want, but haven't pulled the trigger yet to buy them. I will eventually get them if they don't go out of print before I pull the trigger. LOL

12. WHMusical

Wow! Great post neo123!! You seem to be a metal/ hard rock man!

Agree with you on McCartney III as a stinker/disappointment.

Thanks for adding in your final selection!

Cheers!

neo123 likes this.
  13. rainingdogs

rainingdogs Death Of A Clown

Don't think I posted in here, but was planning to.

1. Evermore - Taylor Swift
    2. Song For Our Daughter - Laura Marling
    3. Rough And Rowdy Ways - Bob Dylan
    4. WHO (+ Live At Kingston) - The Who (maybe cheating?)
    5. MTV Unplugged: Live At Hull - Liam Gallagher
    6. Letter to You - Bruce Springsteen
    7. Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa
    8. A Steady Drip - SPARKS
    9. XOXO - The Jayhawks
    10. Live In Maui - Hendrix
    A few i am missing off, but those have had the most plays and enjoyment.

14. WHMusical

nice list brainingdogs!

And... I am thinking: You purposefully put Tay-Tay next to AND above Marling just to chaff my hide didn´t you?, you cheeky monkey...(huh?)+(wut?)

We share 3 in our Top Ten, not bad. The Jawhawks´ XOXO ; I love more and more every spin. Likewise the Ray Lamontagne 2020 offerng, Monovision. You heard that yeti? right up your musical alley tẃood seem to me. We spun it again tonight, and my wife and I both love it, so so much!

Just cracked the plastic and dove into the Jimi set, and know how good it is.

The Who was my first love, back in 1980! Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy and Live at Leeds, never been the same!

Never got into Bruce past his first 3 Lps, but glad to see Bobby D. there too, a brilliant album!

Lps or Cd for you? or Both?

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A late contender for my top ten:

Cynefin - Dilyn Afon

A wonderful album of Welsh traditional songs, lamenting the subsumption of local quirks and idiosyncrasies into a bland & homogeneous whole.

WHMusical likes this.
  16. garax

garax Forum Resident

I am totally there for anything Eric D Johnson wants to do with his considerable talent - Bonnie Light Horseman - or indeed the new Fruitbats album due out in March!

17. WHMusical

I & I agree on Eric D Johnson!
    New Fruitbats? SWEET!

Also I juts picked up today a Fruitbats reissue on vinyl, his 2003 Lp called: Mouthful, new to me, so super stoked, good time to be a EJ/FB fan!

18. WHMusical

Also picked up two more new pieces of 2020 vinyl, late offering, maybe delayed in production and shipped after Christmas, not sure, but they are:

Crack The Sky ~Tribes ~ Didn't know these east coast guys were still in the record making business, new line up looks like, with the main songwriter likely the only original member. I liked his early album, Animal Notes (1976?), with ¨Animal Skins¨ a whole whole lot. Tribes looks very Political + very 2020 looking at and judging from the cover and track song titles. Should be interesting. Anyone heard it? Any fans of CTS?

The other LP was a shot in the dark, based on a feel and a convincing sticker blurb, a new artist to me, no idea of voice, style, genre, etc, I Hope I like it:

Reb Fountain ~ Self/titled Debut? Anyone heard of her? heard this? pervious works? etc... She is a Kiwi and on Flying Nun Records. We shall see/hear/judge soon!

carlwm likes this.
  19. David Stilesson

David Stilesson Forum Resident

Thank God there's a sane refuge on SHF where MaccaIII can be objectively appreciated for the utter rot that it is. The muse has long since flown. Now, down to brass tacks...
    1. @Kate_C. absolutely nailed it w/ her eloquent rationale: Nick Mason's SoS Live @ the Roundhouse is 2020's brass ring. And yeah, it is essentially new music.
    2. Lycantropi: Tales to be Told
    3. Pacific Range: High Upon the Mountain
    4. Fabrizio Paterlini: Transitions III (Does anyone even care about modern solo Classicists anymore? Even prodigies? Oi.)
    5. The Birthday Massacre: Diamonds
    6. Rick Miller: Unstuck in Time
    7. Wild Nothing: Laughing Gas
    8. The Sorcerers: In Search of the Monkey God
    9. Phideaux: Lysergic Burnt Offerings (even an odds-n-sods collection from Phideaux eclipses most new releases from the hoi palloi)
    10. Gazpacho: Fireworker (everything Radiohead ever aspired to be)

20. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

1) Hey World - Lee Brice
    2) evermore - Taylor Swift
    3) folklore - Taylor Swift
    4) Starting Over - Chris Stapleton
    5) My Gift - Carrie Underwood

Reissues/Archival
    1) From Elvis In Nashville - Elvis Presley
    2) The Delta Sweete - Bobbie Gentry
    3) Season's Greetings - Felix Slatkin (Frank Sinatra's first chair Grammy winning violinist and favorite in studio conductor gets his iconic holiday album from 1961 remastered and reissued on CD for the very first time and I helped to make it happen, Lol.

21. WHMusical

Great intro there David!

Glad you stopped buy too Joint the Party. Wiĺl bean throwing massive Flaming Pies at Macca III various imcantations wiff bogus tracks just a wee bit After Midnight, my S~Pacific Crime Zone. And I too love Kate´s Roundhouse Reviews, sums A Saucerful of Secrets 2018 up sewquiet succinctly. What a gem of a set that is, I play a whole side of the four sides of vinyl regularly, such a great show. I ought nough of mist that tour!

As for the rest of your list?: well letś just say I got my homeword cut out for me...as I have never heard of any of these people! Kudos to you for leading the Vanguard!

Hey; looky there, my 1,000th post!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    carlwm likes this.
  22. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No Survivors Found After West Virginia Mine Disaster - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

WHMusical likes this.
  23. garax

garax Forum Resident

It's a charming album - and it has Magic Hour on it which is definitely in my Fruitbats all time Top 5.

WHMusical likes this.
  24. WHMusical

Turns out I already had this 2003 Fruitbats album on cd( but not Lp) and this vinyl issue just had a new cover, still Mouthful is a great FB album, as it has maybe MY all-time fave Fruit Bars song, ¨Slipping Through the Sensors.¨ Now, I WILL have to check out ¨Magic Hour" Too!

25. fermez_le_chat

fermez_le_chat Active Member

1. Fun city - Bright Light Bright Light
    2. Point - Yello
    3. Roisin Murphy - Roisin Machine
    4. All Blessed - Faithless
    5. Monsters - The Midnight
    6. how im feeling now - charli xcx
    7. evermore - Taylor Swift
    8. Virtua Mall Soundtrack
    9. folklore - Taylor Swift
    10. big conspiracy - J. Hus