The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was thinking if anyone might have influenced Phil it would have been him.

ianuaditis, Archtop and US Blues like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

No. It’s one of the seven words that you can’t say on TV SHTV.

[​IMG]

budwhite, rockinlazys, ARK and 3 others like this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Wait until he enters his “industrial metal hip-hop” phase at age 13.

:righton:

ianuaditis, US Blues and frightwigwam like this.
  4. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Haha, right now his tastes consist of KISS, "Fire on the Mountain", weird skit songs that are popular from Roblox and radio pop.

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Great description.
    Yes a lot of Jerry's style is rooted in melodic and thematic development. Some of it was a nod to classical composers in the way he constructed the variations.
    He had things that he did to give the band a signal that he was ready to return to the song such as hitting more chordal tones and repeating lines.

6. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Sounds like my house. My 8-year-old goes nuts over Roblox songs and loves to sing really wrong lyrics to "Franklin's Tower."

My 5-year-old, on the other hand, really likes "China Cat Sunflower" and now recognizes the Steal Your Face logo and says "That's the Grateful Dead."

7. Rose River Bear

Listening to this old friend today.
    [​IMG]

8. sami

sami Mono still rules

That certainly makes sense.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  9. sami

sami Mono still rules

Some here might be interested that Billy Strings is playing the same six night stand at the Capitol Theatre that the Dead played 50 years ago. Damn, if the world wasn't turned upside down we would have been there for at least a couple of them.

FANS and The Relix Channel on Twitch have partnered with Billy Strings for ‘The Deja Vu Experiment,’ a six-night livestream event that will take place at Port Chester, N.Y.’s legendary Capitol Theatre. The streams will take place Feb. 18-21, 23 and 24. The dates were chosen to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead’s February 1971 performances at the venue, which took place on the same exact dates.

At the shows in 1971, the Grateful Dead conducted ESP Experiments, which consisted of “prompting Deadheads in the audience to focus on imagery shown by the band and telepathically send the imagery to a test subject.” (Quote via the event’s description.) A virtual version of such an experiment will be conducted during ‘The Deja Vu Experiment.’

The first and final nights of the event (Feb. 18 and 24) will be streamed for free on The Relix Channel on Twitch. The remaining nights (Feb. 19-21, 23) are available for pay-per-view on FANS. A portion of the proceeds will go to The Rex Foundation and to Backline.

[​IMG]

budwhite, adamos, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  10. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Jerry was a Charles Lloyd fan for sure. Lloyd sat in with the Dead a couple times (like at the Human Be-In) and Jerry asked Lloyd to play with the Dead at the Rock Garden shows in early 1967. They were thinking of working together more, but it didn't happen.
    Jerry's mom also went to see the Dead at those Rock Garden shows. She hadn't seen them before, Jerry's brother had to talk her into going: "she liked easy-listening music, she didn't want to know about rock & roll." But she liked it and asked Jerry, "How do you get the guitar to sound like a horn like that?"

11. birdstrike

birdstrike Flyin’ High

...oh, wow. Really interesting Sugaree from 4/29/77 Palladium (Download Series 1). Nice polymoog-synth from Keith alternating with piano, while Jerry explores anything and anywhere on this one. Starts out mellow and lazy, and builds to a great, crashing crescendo. A truly unique version.

12. sami

sami Mono still rules

You beat me to it.

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

Thanks. That's the route I'm going.

KCWhistle, budwhite and KeninDC like this.
  14. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

There are vinyl releases to be had?

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

2/27 and 2/28 have been released as 4-LP sets limited to 9000 copies. 2/28 can still be found at reasonable prices, but 2/27 is a bit pricey now. I lucked into a sealed one here in the Classifieds recently.

Oscillation and uzn007 like this.
  16. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Right, and if he was listening to Ornette Coleman, he also would've been well aware of Charlie Haden. From listening to Coltrane, he would've known Jimmy Garrison, Reggie Workman, and Richard Davis (who also played on some famous Eric Dolphy records and tons of other sessions--and Astral Weeks). From the Charles Lloyd Quartet, he'd have been listening to Cecil McBee and Ron McClure. From Miles, Ron Carter, Paul Chambers, Dave Holland, etc. Of course, Mingus himself. I'm sure that his ideas were well-informed by a variety of jazz bassists.

ianuaditis, bzfgt, adamos and 3 others like this.
  17. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

This is true.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Cool. Obviously from someone’s tape collection here.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  19. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Does it take him 15 minutes to build it? If so, it’s just too much for what is essentially a two chord song.

20. Talisman

Talisman Forum Resident

Super slow version of Morning Dew from 9-21-74. Very interesting. The whole show has a very mellow vibe to it and is a bit sloppy in place. Other than DiP 7 I haven't checked out much of this Europe tour. Any recommendations?

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  21. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

9/18/74 Parc des Expositions

22. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

9/11/74 2nd set Seastones>Eyes>Wharf Rat. Might as well start with the set 1 closing PITB. Depending on your Phil-n-Ned tolerance you can decide how much of Seastones to skip.

23. Rose River Bear

That is a great one. Jerry gets in a bluegrass mood at times and takes off. Jerry adds in some really fine turnarounds as well. The chord filled section form Jerry is really hot before the last verse.

24. Rose River Bear

It is a great version IMO. Heck, their two chord jams are some of their best in the style of the hottest jazz jams.
    That is what made them great IMO.....two chords at the root but they turned it into a harmonic and melodic journey that kept your attention. Even something simple like the V-I of the Sugaree verse chords.

25. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Today I checked out 5/1/80 (Greensboro Coliseum). Really good show. Highlights includes Feel Like A Stranger, Estimated Prophet, Uncle John's Band, Wharf Rat, Johnny B. Goode and Brokedown Palace. The playing throughout is terrific. Jerrys solo during Estimated is mighty fine, and as a whole it's a great version. The UJB is fantastic as well. Other highlightsv includes Candyman, Big River, Sailor > Saint and Sugaree. The latter features some excellent jamming. I'll listen to this show more as it feels like it has more to give. The sign of something really special.

Earlier in the day I checked out 3/16/68 (Carousel Ballroom). Incredible show. Highlights includes Dark Star, China Cat Sunflower, Good Morning School Girl, Alligator and Cauton (Do Not Stop On Tracks). This is a scorcher of a show, with incredible jamming. The Alligator > Caution features phenomenal vocals from Pigpen as well as some quite exemplary playing from the rest of the boys. The Alligator in particular might very well be up there as an all-time version. Ron also does a great job on Schoolgirl and It Huts Me Too. An excellent The Eleven is another highlight, and the same with The Other One which at this point was still somewhat primitive. From beginning to end this is a killer-show. It def should be listened to if ye haven't done that.