What's the greatest moment of revenge in Music History?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Not really revenge but I feel Liam Gallagher has given Noel a bit of a run for his money with his solo career...I actually prefer Liam's stuff and don't think anyone, especially Noel, expected Liam to do as well as he has...relatively speaking.

2. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Whoever was on the receiving end of "You're So Vain"

3. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Warren Beatty and two unnamed men.

joy stinson, Sean, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  4. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Nick Nolte was one, I heard

Sean, hi_watt and croquetlawns like this.
  5. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Tom Tom Club and Trick of the Tail would have to figure pretty highly though "revenge" may be overstating matters a little.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear has to be somewhere in the top 20.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Lennon maneuvering commercial radio into airing multiple versions of his anti-war anthem every December in hot rotation, on the basis of entitling it "Happy Xmas".

(Probably Cohen should get some similar credit for getting them to air "Hallelujah"...except that it was unintentional...and nobody should wish over-exposure of Pentatonix on anybody...)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  8. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Jack White forming his own band after getting dumped by The Go.

9. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Not all of Hawkwind's old ladies -- only 3 of them, 2 of whom he'd been banging already.

John Cipollina, Gary Duncan, and Dino Valenti did the same kind of thing to get revenge on Grateful Dead for an Indian raid (complete with arrows!) that the Dead made on the ranch where Quicksilver were living at the time. Quicksilver planned to take revenge by holding the Dead up at gunpoint in the middle of a Fillmore Auditorium show, but San Francisco PD stopped them before yet could get into the Fillmore, and Quicksilver were arrested. Cipollina told me that he and Gary and Dino later got their revenge by by cuckolding the Dead's old ladies while the Dead were out of town.

Cipollina told the first two parts of the story (the Indian raid, and the arrest before Quicksilver could get into the Fillmore) many times in interviews over the years, but never really talked about the last part with the Dead's women. Getting him to tell me was like pulling teeth! Many years after Cipollina told me, Duncan told the story to Record Collector magazine.

Sean, tedhead, bpmd1962 and 7 others like this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Listen to Her Heart. Petty’s message to Ike Turner when Ike tried for Mrs. Petty.
    Ike seems to appear in a lot of these revenge scenarios!

12. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Mike Nesmith punching the wall of the Beverly Hills Hotel after Donnie The K's lawyer made the mistake of reminding Mike of his contractual obligations. Then Mike states, "That could have been your face, mofo." After this meeting, The Monkees had near total artistic control.

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Zappa being told by ‘a very important person’ in the industry that his work had no commercial potential. Zappa wore that phrase like a badge. Certainly proved that guy wrong. Also being told by some guy that he thought he could clean up the Mothers and make them as big as the Turtles. Pretty ironic.

14. somebodynothing1000

somebodynothing1000 Forum Resident

manic street preachers are whitering in pain somewhere at the tough of it.

Rick Rubin and joy stinson like this.
  15. somebodynothing1000

i think pink floyd would qualify. in nick mason`s book, he remembers one very very early gig supporting a solo alan price (from the animals). after they finished, alan came to his organ, turned up the reverb and smashed cluster notes and proclaimed "That`s psychedelic " and the audience cheered or something.
    we seem to forget how badly treated the floyd were during the syd era, specially outside london. they used to throw coins and beer bottles at them all the time.
    i wonder what alan price is doing now at the moment. lol

Sean, tedhead, 51IS and 3 others like this.
  16. somebodynothing1000

another one, but i dont know if its true:
    the velvets and the dead played toguether one time, and the dead opened for the velvets one night. supposedly the dead, as usual, kept playing for more than an hour. the velvets retaliated by doing the same thing the next night, since it was their turn to open. judging by how the dead did the same thing to creedence, (or that one time the dead refused to let the doors use their equipment, just because they were from LA, and forcing them to play on pignose amps), i think they deserved that.

Herman Schultz and groundharp like this.
  17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

John Lennon's Lennon Remembers Rolling Stone interview....... comments on Paul that diminished his reputation for decades, he hit a few other people in the process.

YoGarrett, joy stinson, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I read in one of the Stone's books that Jagger supposedly shagged Mckenzie Phillips after sending her dad off to the store: revenge for John getting Bianca Jagger.

19. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

Phil Spector and the whole "Dance the Screw" thing.

20. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

[​IMG]

You can close this thread.

Rick Rubin, keyse1, Jarleboy and 24 others like this.
  21. somebodynothing1000

i find Liam Gallagher hilarious actually. there is humour behind those raging rants. at least he didnt went as far as his brother, who actually did say things that were very very out of line. (sadistically poking fun at Brian wilson`s mental state)

Man at C&A and Niall1984 like this.
  22. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

The exact timeline of this eludes me, but I believe one of the all-time “winners” would involve Dennis Wilson, Mike Love, and Mike Love’s daughter Shawn. Dennis married Shawn. Previously, he’d also had a relationship with Mike’s wife.

Needless to say, Mike & Dennis didn’t exactly get along. Considering that Mike & Dennis were also cousins, this is more than a little disturbing.

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

"My Pet Snakes" from Jenn Lewis to Blake Sennett.
    Vicious!

ARK likes this.
  24. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

When Hairy Styles left One direction and made a masterpiece ...he was all like..." take that boys I'm the star d' ya know what I mean mates?" .

Or
    ...when miley cyrus quelled the haters and stepped out of her dads giant mullets shadow and dropped the awesomeness that is " Party in the USA".

rocknsoul74 and ARK like this.
  25. cloneofkane

cloneofkane Forum Resident

Lynyrd Skynyrd getting revenge for the South against Niel Young for Southern Man in Sweet Home Alabama.

Since I just posted about him in another thread, John Tilman's success as Father John Misty after a bitter break with Fleet Foxes.

CaptainFeedback1 and Trader Joe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.