'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Do you have an original of Friday Night? I have both the original and 45 and from memory prefer the original. But I have not directly A/B’d. I may need to do just that before too long.

Not everyone will agree with me, but no liquor, wine, or cocktail can beat a nice cold beer IMO. Though there are certain occasions I will switch it up. But now you’ve got me thirsty, my friend!

scotti likes this.
  2. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Scotty, is that the Lucia/DiMeola/? concert on Columbia? Great concert and sonics, I have a audiophile pressing on Phillips that is outstanding!

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! I just came upstairs to grab a cold one, so who am I to disagree. Switching over to the TT now and before I go all Jazz, I'm firing up my original like new copy of "Disraeli Gears", found it virtually unplayed/untouched a few tears back for only $4.00, I about you know what. I started to pull out my wife's JJ Cale AP of "Troubadour" (laced in Jazz) that she just bought herself to play on our anniversary this Friday. It looked tempting but she told me she would not be very happy if I listened to it first without her. She loves those AS 15% off sales. Have the original but looking forward to hearing this version.

And dare I say I have "The Waiting Game" on deck once again before I get to "Freedom". Sorry to ramble here, but my music is what keeps me happy.

I somehow have forgotten about the Craft One Step, my luck I will snooze and miss out.

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Yes, released 1981, Columbia US, Phillips outside...I have heard the Impex 45 is off the chart amazing. Looking forward big time to it!

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  5. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I'm listening to Undercurrent as we speak a real good session and the first MMJ to arrive to my house! Noticed some residue on the edge of the record and some odd haze looking marks on the flat surface, it doesn't effect play whatsoever, I just find it odd that such a premium product would have stuff like that on it!

The sound quality is of course off the charts good, as expected!

Bradd likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The 45 rpm, with the pink sleeves? Wash the records and ditch the sleeves for something better. The haze isn't permanent and will wash right off.

7. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

The sleeves are white with a plastic inner! I'm buying a wash vac very soon, any recommendations? I was looking at the Project VC-E or S

Swann36 likes this.
  8. That is one heck of a find. I have been looking for an end game copy of Disraeli Gears for years. It is one of my all time favorites - brings back some crazy memories each time I spin it. But those stories are probably better for a different thread... :nyah:

I have gone through probably half a dozen copies or more with that one. A lot have had groove wear, which does not fly with me in the least bit. And the ones that don’t seem to have noise or the mastering isn’t up to snuff. One day... though my current play copy sees the table quite a bit. Just a bit crackly in the quieter moments.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

By pink sleeves, I mean the inner. Pink plastic, with a sticky feel. Some kind of nasty residue. But if we’re talking about the same thing, the haze will wash off.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just picked up a Keith Monks Prodigy. I have had it for a couple of weeks. It's an intriguing option, although more than the Projects. These are completely manufactured in the UK, and based upon the Keith Monks design, but using a threadless nozzle. If anyone is interested in chatting about it, feel free to send me a private message. They've been around overseas for over a year, but just recently getting into the US. Jonathan Monks, the designer of this as well as others in the new lines, has set up an importer and supplier in North Carolina.

11. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Wife and kids are out of the house so I have it all to myself for the first time in like 2 months. Popped a Chinon and absolutely BLASTING Cornbread right now. Feels good man.

Just kidding about my inciteful comments earlier, @scotti . Happy Wednesday TP fam.

12. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

That looks great! A bit more than I was looking to spend though! I've purchased the VC-E which now comes with the acrylic platter to block the vent port, I bought an original UK press of Donny Hathaway - Live and currently it's so noisy it's unplayable, looking forward to see the results!

mktracy and AnalogJ like this.
  13. Just did a quick shoot out of this (Friday Night in San Francisco) between my original US pressing and the 45. Both are very good. The 45 is faster with shaper transients and a bit more slam. The OG is warmer with a magical midrange. From an audiophile perspective, the 45 wins to my ears but the OGs magic is hard to resist. I’m so used to the OG that it sounds “right” to me. I will gladly keep both as of course preferences can change over time and with system changes. As of now, I will probably keep reaching for the more “musical” 33, but man, the speed of the transients on the 45 is quite impressive.

mktracy, AnalogJ, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  14. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

I second that. Scored it as a birthday present from the wife and it’s quickly risen to one of my most treasured records both musically and sonically. Having said that anything by Booker Ervin is a winner with me!

mktracy, Vic Trola, Stu02 and 3 others like this.
  15. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I wish they'd do Sczophrenia by Wayne. Would love to own it on vinyl without spending a ton of money.

miq2son, Kimiimacman and Eric_B like this.
  16. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Yeh, usually that's how it works.

:D

17. I laughed :D

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Just streaming it now, have never listened to anything by Booker Ervin. Really good! All (or mostly) original compositions, my kind of of jazz album. Thanks for the recommendation.

19. Was in the same boat earlier, it's a shame it is sold out. That is right up my alley and I love exploring new artists

Stu02 and Dan Steele like this.
  20. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Dude have you heard this one? Tex Book Tenor

Booker Ervin - Tex Book Tenor. This one came out as a 2xLP reissue in the 70s with another session. Came out on CD by itself in 2005. This could be an excellent project for the Tone Poet series. It's not well known, but so far I'm loving it! Anything with Woody Shaw is great.

Mark J, Vic Trola, Stu02 and 5 others like this.
  21. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

That must have sold out recently -- it was still in stock around Christmastime. One of my favorite two-fers of all time is Booker Ervin "The Freedom and Space Sessions," which collects all the material recorded by Booker, Byard, Davis, and Dawson (i.e., The Freedom Book, the first entry in Booker's "Book" series, and The Space Book, the last entry in that series). Not audiophile but still sounds great if you can find a clean copy.

22. I have not, thanks for the rec. I will give it a listen later this evening

23. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I have been listening to The Waiting Game quite a bit - what a great session. I feel like I’m hearing a bit of high frequency brightness from the cymbals in the right channel, but otherwise the sound is quite good with the soloists right in your lap. Incredible luck that Blue Note was just sitting on so many great unissued sessions!

24. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Yeah Tex Book Tenor is another good one, the twofer is called Back from the Gig and is paired with a Horace Parlan record featuring Booker Ervin and Grant Green and it’s another underrated Blue Note record. Not too expensive and 2 great records in one package.

Mark J, Vic Trola, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  25. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Agreed, but done by VMP, so not clear if they have any exclusive rights and for how long.

kt66brooklyn and DougT like this.