The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. profusion

profusion Forum Resident

Listening to 2/28/73 at the moment. Very nice TOO and interesting, warmhearted show all around.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Heretic! Confess!

Cardinal Fang, poke him with the soft cushions!

3. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Scott La Faro.

Edit: He said, repeating what three people have said already... sorry for the noise...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. US Blues

The prior night- 20 September 1974- Palais de Sportes. The China > Rider will take you new and unusual places. Plus the intro to Eyes of the World is unspeakably good.

5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The answer could be 0.

ianuaditis, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Ack, thanks. Wish I had thought to look for that before I ordered from Amazon.

KeninDC likes this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I've been a Deadhead since the mid-80s, but the first time I actually tried to play Garcia's music (EDIT: First time I tried to play it in a gigging band - slight distinction!) was ca. 2011-2012 when I formed a JG solo cover band with me on guitar. Gave me a whole new appreciation for his playing when I tried to do anything close to it myself. Like, OK, I can solo over almost anything for one time through the head; now try doing it four times through the head without repeating yourself! Try to play a five-minute modal jam that doesn't get boring after the first thirty seconds and then actually bring it to a climax. Bastard made it look easy.

8. US Blues

I got an email earlier about that and knew you'd be here sharing the good news. That is a fabulous vision Billy has, and a great way to honor the GD.

9. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

If that's the case, then it was perpetrated by the band, as well. I've read/seen interviews with them from around the turn of the 80s, saying that they felt like they were finally getting their act together, and that their worst shows ca. 1980 were not as bad as their worst shows from earlier years. This is all highly subjective, obviously, but I've come across quotes like this more than once.

sami, bzfgt and Dahabenzapple like this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Paul Bley famously said he didn’t listen to another pianist for 25-30 years. Fwiw no one ever sounded anything like Paul Bley. He would rant that all the pianists do is listen to Herbie, Chick and McCoy and they all sounded like cheap imitations.

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  11. SeeDubs

SeeDubs Forum Resident

I gotta say, as a relative newcomer to the Dead (since 2017), the conversation on this thread about Garcia and Lesh's playing styles is giving me a new appreciation for them. Thanks for your erudition and enlightenment!

12. US Blues

Most importantly: Hockey is back! :pineapple:

Jamcoy, Talisman, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Allow me to quote from the greatest musical of the past few decades:

**** is the worst word that you can say
    **** is the worse word that you can say
    We shouldn't say ****
    No we shouldn't say ****
    No we shouldn't say ****
    **** No!

That being said, that mug is ****ing awesome!

KCWhistle, KeninDC and US Blues like this.
  14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

1972.09.30, American University, Washington, DC

This is a pretty laid back show, very chill and a good way to come down off the massive success of the Jersey City run. Bobby is way, way up in the mix on this recording, and his guitar tone is captured really well. It's unique/interesting, but the lack of balance is not ideal. Still a very nice listen.

[​IMG]

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

When do they usually release track details for the next couple of picks?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

picks 37 and 38 have been revealed but i'm not sure if the bonus disc for 38 was announced

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

tonight 1/22/78. mighty Daves 23. one of the best picks in the Daves series

Tigerpop, KCWhistle, Erik B. and 14 others like this.
  18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5/21/71. These early ones have always been very special to me.

19. Matthew Tate

1971 is underrated

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Listening to the Watkins Glen soundcheck jam (excerpt?) from So Many Roads, disc 2. Since Butch Trucks was likely around and probably drunk by this time, I can kind of understand why he made the statements he made. The soundcheck jam isn't really anything specific; it's almost as if they started in the middle of Dark Star and just kept going without getting anywhere specific. I find it to be a great listen (and the journey is far more important than the destination), but a more rock-oriented drummer with a belly fulla Schlitz might not see it the same way. ;) :nyah:

KCWhistle, Jamcoy, budwhite and 12 others like this.
  21. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

This was a nice listen. I don't remember hearing this before. I read Butch's comments-sheesh...its def the Schlitz. Most likely the Tall Boys :laugh:
    [​IMG]

(Of course now I need to listen to the Dark Star/Spanish Jam/US Blues that follows...)

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Schlitz, the beer that made Milwaukee famousanyone not from Milwaukee puke.

IMO, the best Dark Star ever (and my favorite Playin' jam from the E'72 tour after nearly a year-long analysis). There's a palpable gentleness to the second part of DS after Uncle (including an absolutely lovely spontaneous melodic jam from 1:13-1:30 that's to die for). The last seven minutes or so are the band chasing their tail and never getting there until they decide to stop chasing. Brilliant stuff.

24. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

:laugh:

US Blues, Matthew Tate and Archtop like this.
  25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I'm remembering how great of a listen the So Many Roads box is. Such an interesting and fun way to listen to The Dead. The ultimate mixtape.

laf848, KCWhistle, ARK and 12 others like this.