What's the greatest moment of revenge in Music History?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drivingtheview

drivingtheview Not forever just for now

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    CybrKhatru, joy stinson, Sean and 7 others like this.
  2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Wow so many good ones already!

I'll throw our "Love Song," by Sara Bareilles... written in response to record label's demand that her new album included a "Love Song." Ironically it is probably her most popular song. And she likely doesn't have to take as much **** from execs now.

3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    -- John's Aunt Mimi

'Groups of guitars are on the way out'
    -- a recording executive at Decca told the Beatles in 1962.

4. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And if he made a million pounds I'm guessing that he spent a lot of it-- both by starting his new band and making the DVD "Best of the Beatles' (which includes among other things, a very nice reunion interview with Astrid Kircherr).

sekaer likes this.
  6. Some very strange ideas about what constitutes “revenge” in this thread.

tages, INSW, AFOS and 23 others like this.
  7. AwaitingOnYouAl

AwaitingOnYouAl Only a Northern

You Paul folk are all as equally hyperbolic as the man himself.

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

So a reasonable amount? Good to know.

tages, 51IS, joy stinson and 3 others like this.
  9. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

The Rolling Stones gifting Schoolboy Blues to Decca as their farewell unfond.

hangwire13, Sean, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  10. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I suppose one could mention Paul McCartney's revenge for being ripped off by others. This would encompass the work he did in amassing incredible wealth, through buying up the songwriting copyrights of others (a little bizarre in light of his own position, but lucrative), lots of artwork, the rights to Broadway shows etc.
    It could seem like a lot of over-compensation though, instead of revenge. After all, he doesn't some of his own (best) work. Perhaps there is a balance in there somewhere (for him). I've used a lot of brackets here (so I'll stop doing that now).

11. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I still don't get how MMM is "revenge" but whatev

12. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Some text was somehow deleted from my longer post on page 2. It should read:

"...got their revenge by cuckolding the Dead by bedding the Dead's old ladies while the Dead were out of town."

I knew that Quicksilver had eventually gotten revenge upon the Dead because John had made an oblique reference to doing so in an old issue of Zigzag, but John wouldn't tell me the first few times I asked him. John may have even told me to ask one of the other guys. Knowing Duncan, I knew better than to ask him, so I asked Freiberg, who said as far as he knew, Quicksilver never did get their revenge on the Dead.

So I talked to John again, and he told me Freiberg didn't know, because Freiberg wasn't there. I asked him who was involved. He said it was something he and Gary and Dino had done. I still wasn't going to ask Duncan, and although I knew the other guys from Quicksilver, I didn't know Dino, so I couldn't ask him. Eventually John told me, but only briefly, without details. I got the sense it wasn't something he was proud of.

Duncan did tell me a story about revenge one day while I was at his studio.

It was a long story, but basically Quicksilver got stiffed by someone who put together a tour for the band, and even after not paying them right (or maybe at all), the tour promoter still expected Quicksilver to return the tour bus they'd been loaned for the tour. Duncan and the rest of the band told the promoter, sure, we'll park it and you can come get it. Of course, that meant Duncan would walk away from the vehicle in the worst possible neighborhood, not just unlocked, but with the doors and windows open. Duncan told me that by the next morning, when the promoter tried to get the tour bus, it was completely stripped. It wasn't clear to me whether this was something that happened while Cipollina was in the band or afterwards, but either way, it was a good story.

13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd say its more like the Beatles' revenge against him for his self-serving BS story that he was fired because Paul was jealous of his looks (not to mention him claiming that Ringo wasn't really any better than himself as a drummer). By including his previously unreleased/unbootlegged disastrous and embarrassing performance on 'Love Me Do' on 'Anthology 1' they set the record straight once and for all that Pete Best's self-serving spin as to why he was fired was complete and total BS. That abysmal recording leaves no room for doubt that he fully deserved to get fired. They cleared their name when it came to Pete's BS claims in the press that he didn't in fact get dropped because he just wasn't good enough. A tough pill to swallow for him, but I'm sure the million pounds he got out of it helped him choke it down.

14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

What is it?

bzfgt likes this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I already posted that! That is like a neutron bomb

twicks likes this.
  16. Campaigner

Campaigner Too late to cause a stir

Yep - a whole lot of back and forth between these two in songs.

Stevie with "you'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loved you" line from 'Silver Springs', and then the ultimate revenge, having Lindsey kicked out the band decades later by issuing the rest of the band with a "it's him or me" ultimatum.

joy stinson, Sean, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.
  17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Ice Cube, "No Vaseline"

Bulsara and ianuaditis like this.
  18. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I think Ed said that he never got any money for Incense And Peppermints

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

That reminds me of when Mike Nesmith was told to write a song about "good, clean fun" and he titled the song he was working on "Good Clean Fun."

joy stinson and Sean like this.
  20. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

Similar to Mike Nesmith, except Mike bought the rights to a ton of non-theatrical releases (i.e. documentaries) in the '70s and in the early '80s made a deal with PBS to distribute them as home videos. Later, PBS then got greedy and tried to screw over Mike, but Mike won the lawsuit in the end.

Ginger Ale and Sean like this.
  21. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Joni Mitchell.....`I HAD A KING`.
    Would not exactly call it revenge but Joni Mitchell was pretty scathing about her first husband Chuck Mitchell.
    They toured the folk clubs as a duo `Chuck and Joni Mitchell`, his style was more into `Folk` and `Country`, (drip-dry and paisley), but Joni was already moving on ........

"I had a king dressed in drip-dry and paisley
    Lately he's taken to saying I'm crazy and blind
    He lives in another time
    Ladies in gingham still blush
    While he sings them of wars and wine
    But I, in my leather and lace
    I can never become that kind
    I can't go back there anymore
    You know my keys won't fit the door
    You know my thoughts don't fit the man".

The lesson is, never get involved with Joni if you don`t want to end up in a song!

22. Chimichurri

Chimichurri Forum Resident

23. Juan Hitwonder

Juan Hitwonder Forum Resident

In 1832, a teenaged Giuseppe Verdi applied for admission to the prestigious Milan Conservatory. Though he had backers who recognized his talent, the school rejected him because of politics and because he was too old (19). But he had better luck with his career after that.

Years later, the school asked his permission to rename itself the Verdi Conservatory. Verdi refused the request, saying, "They wouldn't have me young, now they can't have me old."

The school took the Verdi name anyway shortly after his death. It is located on Via Verdi.

Gloi, joy stinson, Sean and 9 others like this.
  24. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Shania Twain marrying the husband of the woman her own husband was cheating with.

Wings - Silly Love Songs

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  25. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

How about "Judy's Turn To Cry?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.